18 - Oriol Romeu

JAMAIN

Forget Busquets, if Oriol Romeu continues to develop, he will be our starting defensive midfielder in two years time.

Sorry if there is a thread for him elsewhere...

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
11061_217076346179_39988866179_3984779_435844_n.jpg

Oriol Romeu i Vidal
Date of birth: 24 September 1991
Place of birth: Tarragona, Catalonia

One of the most promising defensive midfielders coming out of La Masia in recent times. He had been allegedly tracked by Stoke earlier this year, but luckily stayed at the acacemy while playing an important part in the promotion of Barça B to Liga Adelante. He has had a great U-19 championship alongside many other Barça youngsters and has shown great skill and composure.

Romeu has an impressive physical presence, while being equipped with strength, technique and tactical sense. Definitely one of the youth players for the future.

ranjix

Jefecito
No recent news of buying new defensive midfielder. So, I guess he will be back up for Busquets if we dont buy DM.

Hydro2oo9

This guy should be in Barça 1. No Senna, no Mascherano, Romeu should be in.

I'd personally buy Senna aswell, as he could be gotten on a small transfer fee and probably wouldn't demand high wages. Senna also wouldn't mind sitting out on the bench, so would be a very usefull utility player for the club right now.

Macherano, no, as I want to see Buquets continue to progress as a player and would also like to see the development of Oriol Romeu, as I've seen very positve signs from him and heard alot about the player. I don't think Senna coming in would effect the growth of Oriol Romeu, personally and Senna would definitely be a good signing, just to add the extra bit of depth. He could also come in handy as a sort of "mentor" to the young players.

zanela

I was about to start a thread for him. I'm excited about this lad. A No-nonsense modern DM with an impressive repertoire of skills and physical ability. A strong tackler, persistent, good at shielding the ball, aerial and passing ability and he comes sans all the needless antics. :)

His highlight reel from the U-19s...The title is misleading..

Forget Busquets, if Oriol Romeu continues to develop, he will be our starting defensive midfielder in two years time.

Won't happen as long as Pep is our manager. He will always stay loyal to his favs while Oriol is way too talented a DM to be a bck-up. I hope he doesn't leave.

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
A true class. Besides his great techinique - tactics - strenght combo (and he is stil growing :D) he is a diversity player with a wide variety of skills, he can play good alone as well as in combo with Thiago + can take a role of CM if necessary ...

Won't happen as long as Pep is our manager. He will always stay loyal to his favs while Oriol is way too talented a DM to be a bck-up. I hope he doesn't leave.
I fear about that too...

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
This guy should be in Barça 1. No Senna, no Mascherano, Romeu should be in.

I agree, he will learn from sergi and prosper.. then maybe we will see sergi play farther up the field when iniesta needs a break..

i still cant believe some of you are so anti sergi it simply blows my mind

Trequartista

The good
He is a great talent,No Doubt about this,I watched him before and since then he has improved a lot,2 years ago,he was an old fashioned defensive midfielder who concentrates more on destroying rather than Building but during the U-19 Euro he looked better in keeping the ball,retaining the ball,he even had some more advanced off-the ball movements when he needed to do,something the 4-2-3-1 formation that Spain played helped him to do,The Thiago-Romeu Partenship was a very good one,it looked more like a Busquetes-Xavi one,Romeu also prefers short passes to Thiago,Canales rather than playing long balls,He leaves this job to Thiago and Canales and thats something Busquetes do in a great way and he he has been even critisiced for those short passes but thats the job of a defensive midfielder at Barca,He plays at Barca as a lone defensive midfielder which suits him better,he has many things common with Busquetes,and I dont know whether this is a good thing for him or not,Pep likes this style but on the other hand maybe we will want a defensive midfielder with another profile,Will he be our first choice oneday?I dont think so,Busquetes will own this position for years and years to come but Romeu will be a very good player,maybe he will be better than Busquetes defensively but at the build up,ball retention,Positional awareness Busquetes will be better,A player to watch for the future and I think he has a really big chance in making it here.

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
I think a season in Div 2 will be good.. dont think he is quite ready

senna im tellin u would be perfect he would not hinder Oriol (maybe Oriol in copa del rey a little?)

Home of Barca Fans