Pep's carousel

zanela

There is sure as hell much more than humour about the impressive blond.. Now i know the reason for the lack of attention these days but forgiven seeing it was a Barca cause. :p
Didnt get the purple substitution bit. Explain to me later.

I did think it was a funny choice, as I thought Bojan would be the jewel Pep was grooming, but I've said since the beginning of last season when Bojan started playing again that I don't see him reaching the heights we thought he would. He is an average player, above average at times, but is not the player for Barca. It's sad considering we had hyped him up so much, but when you have players around him improving at a phenominal rate, Bojan's lack of improvement really shows.

I'm no Bojan fan and concede he is overhyped by majority culés but I would disagree about the highlighted bit. If anything his qualities as a striker allows him to seamlessly integrate in to our team. And wht with him being Barca programmed from an early age, he also understands our style of play. His game strts/goal ratio is at 0.65 which is fantastic for a striker of his age. When he is given a string of games, he almost always delivers. The prob is not lack of talent or effort but favouritism from Pep who can be very stubborn at times. Its a known fact by now that he has his favs and invests more faith in them over some of the others. This means playing time isnt fairly distributed on a deserving basis. There is discrepancy in the way he manages his players. Had Pep shown as much confidence in Bojan as he did with Pedro, i see no reason why the former wouldn't 've been as successful.

As for the main topic in discussion, Pep isn't very comfortable with the idea of rotation. As Bojan pointed out, Pep more often than not was forced to 'rotate' due to suspensions, injuries or dip in form. Hardly does he rotate to rest his players. How many times did we see us winning by a huge margin in the 08/09 season, yet the likes of Xavi and Eto'o were played till the final whistle when the bench (Hleb, Bojan, Bus etc) could've easily filled in for them towards the end.

About the Max-Abi subject, the rare games the Brazilian started prior to Abi's injury was more a case of getting him integrate in to our team than trying to rest Abi. If Pep rated Maxwell then Abidal wouldn't ve been rushed bck from his flu for the Inter grp match. Then Maxwell's max game time came from the Abi's long injury absence. I highly doubt he would've seen those 7 matches in his sec season.
If all our first choice are fit and available, Pep rarely rotates. Even his tactical substitutions are late and done with much reluctance(or so it seems).

The stats also reinforces our over-reliance on Xavi and his importance to this team. Hence the need for a quality backup (not tht Pep will use him :p)

Last edited:

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
This is continued from the season before when he brought Pedro on instead of Bojan when we were 2-0 up in the CL final vs Man Utd.
Pedro is the only one on that scheme that was included in the squad 37 times. No injury, no suspension, no exclusion by Pep. So Pedro must be a favourite of Pep, one he trusts.
Henry was pants this year and almost started the same amount of games (difference of 10% or something which is not much given both's form on the pitch) ... must be rotation.

Now i know the reason for the lack of attention these days but forgiven seeing it was a Barca cause. :p
Didnt get the purple substitution bit. Explain to me later.
I always try to give you a lot of attention.

Answerring the purple bit on the right platform: When a player gets a sub worth of 15 minutes or more. It's not as valuable as a start but for a sub I think more than 15 minutes is decent game time and should be considered in rotation systems, be it in a separate analysis.

About the Max-Abi subject, the rare games the Brazilian started prior to Abi's injury was more a case of getting him integrate in to our team than trying to rest Abi. If Pep rated Maxwell then Abidal wouldn't ve been rushed bck from his flu for the Inter grp match.
Those are two different things, you can see that in the scheme. League =/ Champions League. I think he starts his favourite eleven in the Champions League, certainly for big games.

That has nothing to do with rotation, or regarding your poitn of view everything at the same time. You rotate to get your best players fresh for the highest rated games.

Abidal was started twice in a row immediately after his long term injury i the second half of the season. The first one was a league game. why? Alves was suspended and Xavi was injured, or not ready to start. The second game was arsenal at home and he needed someone to cope with Walcott. (Which he fucked up as bad as Maxwell by the way, just rewatch Bendtner's goal ... Damn you Abidal!)

Rotation doesn't mean 50-50, that only works when the quality would be equal. Pep has its core + his favourites to complement that everplaying core. But when his favourites need a game off, he will give that to them. This results, even with the small squad that basically makes this not really easy, in the scheme above.
Core: near 100% playing time garantueed
Favourites: 70-90%
rotational ones (for whatever reason): less than 70%

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
As i said, i had a similar statistic for the 08/09 season. I did it on a Minutes base, so for those interested:

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
One interesting thing is Iniestas playing time. Both last year (Gnegs analysis) and the year before (my analysis) he only had 55%. Not a whole lot for a key player and as it was two seasons in a row you cant actually expect sth different for the future. Keep that in mind when considering new players (Cesc ...), that actually have to be able to compensate for the loss of such a key player.

nebeer

Love is All
Great job Gneg, but I got a headache coz of all those columns though. Anything that looks like accounting gives me a headache. Nevertheless, great work :D

Home of Barca Fans