Barcelona : Master of Total Voetbal ???

Are you agree that Barca is the master of Total Voetbal ?

• Yes

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

BigChill

Well, actually total football was invented by the Dutch side precisely in Ajax. I'd read this article long time ago especially in Champions League quarter final ( I don't know what year is ) between Ajax and Liverpool. Amsterdamers successfully demolished the Reds 5 - 0 !! This playing had brought the Dutch team to the consecutive World Cup Final twice but they lost to both West Germany and Argentina.
Ironically, in the 3rd final 2010 in Johannesburg , they lose to Spain by their own playing style and they play pragmatic football. What happened to the Dutch ?
I can't say that the Spaniard play total football or tiki taka better than the Dutch but the fact, there are 9 La Masia players in the team. Do you agree that Barca is the master of total football ?

Last edited:

tk_TommyKim

I'd say that we are the CLOSEST to the Total Football in the 70s, but it's nearly impossible to master it because it is a 40-year-old system that was utilised when different tactics were dominant. We have players embedded in certain positions, for example Xavi, and we really don't see Xavi moving too far out of his deep playmaking position.

However, if someone were to ask me who represent Total Football the most, it would have to be Barcelona. We share the 4-3-3 formation, we have player swaps, and we've seen Pique become a dangerous attacking threat several times. We are the masters of tiki-taka, which is a derivation from Total Football, but it's hard to say that we are the masters of a system from the 70s because everyone else plays football differently since then.

koko

total football doesnt exist can you imagine messi and puyol swapping positions nonsensical what exactly would that accomplish

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
I don't think so... Barça as is own style and the "dutch model" is another thing completely different... if you ask if Barça have the spanish style, then I said "vice-versa"... is more or less the "tiqui-taca" style...

Barcafan 2304

Id prefer to think that we play a very attractive form of football and the best exponents of it in the world. Id rather steer clear of cliches though

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
Chile plays more total football-like than we do imo...their players really swap positions.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Id prefer to think that we play a very attractive form of football and the best exponents of it in the world. Id rather steer clear of cliches though

Agreed... I think that since WC of 1970 (in Mexico), when Brasil win his third title, that a winner wasn't so consensual as Spain of 2010...

Home of Barca Fans