Carlos Dunga

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Dunga did an amazing job with the squad he had at WC. I don't remember Brazil coming at WC finals with a weaker side. Melo, voted as worst Serie A signing, G. Silva - was washed out in Arsenal years ago now in his pension at Panathinaikos. Who else is there? Robinho - failed Premiership player. Kaka - coming after his worst season ever. List goes on...
Dunga's Brazil looked boring but also so efficient that it had them being tipped as favorites to take it after the group stages.
I prefer attacking football but sacking him is a mistake imo.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
i am happy he is gone, he ruined the wat brazil played but made them a defensive juggernaut, there is not doubt that brail have the best defense in the world cup but lack of a good attack screwed him

brazil need to bring scholari back after his 2 years at palmeries for 2014 cause they are actually considering giving luxembergo the job :lol:

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
After the shambles of 2006, brazil needed some discipline and Dunga did install this into the team. But at the expense of what brazilian football stands for.

I think a combination of the 2, discipline with brazilian flair is the optimum for them.

Scolari should not be brazil manager again. Brazil need a new younger man, who that is I don't know.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
I'm torn. on the one side there is no question about the importance of defensive/team discipline. But on the other side, Brasil is about attacking, beautiful, creative football. Brasillian players are well noted for their lack of discipline and dedication to training, especially the superstars. There needs to be some one to change that attitude on the national level in order to get the superstars to play as a unit. in short they need a visionary who commands respect from all players. I dunno who that would be. like Eddie said, it shouldn't be Scolari. it most def should not be Luxembergo.

Leonardo?

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
yea, but how is he tactically? he would need a tactical 2nd in command and even then I'm not sure how the Brasillian players view him. I remember a lot of them being pissed off at Pele prior to 2002 because he discounted/criticized the national team before the World Cup.

Beast

The Observer
Dunga is a great manager with an awful sense of fashion :D

His player let him down and it's due to their own personal form not his tactics , he may have made some minor mistakes in the selections but he took players who would not slack off , party all night but soldiers for their country
with this tactic Brazil won two trophies in 4 years , Elano & Ramires missing + the Dutch own strength didn't help him but he is not to blame .

regarding the myth that is Brazil play Joga Bonita , they didn't play anything resembling Joga Bonita since 1982 /1986 WC
since than after the awful 1990 WC team Brazil was all about attacking full backs + 2 players upfront that make it happen (max was 3 in a few times )
Leonardo+Branco , Cafu + Carlos , Maicon + Bastos
upfront Bebeto-Romario, Romario + Ronaldo , Bebeto + Ronaldo trailed by Rivaldo (98 ) , Ronaldo + Rivaldo trailed by Dinho (02 ) , Ronaldinho + Ronaldo , now it's Kaka+ Robinho

outside those 4 /5the remaining of a team is purely defensive workhouse with zero creativity/Joga Bonita... so please let's drop the Nike Ronaldinho AD it has nothing to do with the Reality of the Brazilian national team in the last 25 years
last time they tried to include as much creative players as possible in 06 they failed miserably cause they only had fine attackers not balanced midfielders

if i ask you to name the midfield in WC 1994 you won't remember (in 95 % of the cases unless a player played for your club/local club ) same for 98 , same for 2002 (some people will pop the name Edmilson now ) on the contrary you would easily name the 2 front men and the 2 Full backs , ffs Brazil played with 3 CB + 2 DM in WC 02... so what Joga Bonita are we talking about ?
however anyone around my age would easily name for you 7/8 true Joga Bonita squad of 1982 or 1970 cause they are memorable despite the fact that Brazil did win both WC 94 & 02

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
In Brazil if you don't win you are out. Simple as. I'd be surprised if Dunga is still the coach.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Dunga is a great manager with an awful sense of fashion :D

His player let him down and it's due to their own personal form not his tactics , he may have made some minor mistakes in the selections but he took players who would not slack off , party all night but soldiers for their country
with this tactic Brazil won two trophies in 4 years , Elano & Ramires missing + the Dutch own strength didn't help him but he is not to blame .

regarding the myth that is Brazil play Joga Bonita , they didn't play anything resembling Joga Bonita since 1982 /1986 WC
since than after the awful 1990 WC team Brazil was all about attacking full backs + 2 players upfront that make it happen (max was 3 in a few times )
Leonardo+Branco , Cafu + Carlos , Maicon + Bastos
upfront Bebeto-Romario, Romario + Ronaldo , Bebeto + Ronaldo trailed by Rivaldo (98 ) , Ronaldo + Rivaldo trailed by Dinho (02 ) , Ronaldinho + Ronaldo , now it's Kaka+ Robinho

outside those 4 /5the remaining of a team is purely defensive workhouse with zero creativity/Joga Bonita... so please let's drop the Nike Ronaldinho AD it has nothing to do with the Reality of the Brazilian national team in the last 25 years
last time they tried to include as much creative players as possible in 06 they failed miserably cause they only had fine attackers not balanced midfielders

if i ask you to name the midfield in WC 1994 you won't remember (in 95 % of the cases unless a player played for your club/local club ) same for 98 , same for 2002 (some people will pop the name Edmilson now ) on the contrary you would easily name the 2 front men and the 2 Full backs , ffs Brazil played with 3 CB + 2 DM in WC 02... so what Joga Bonita are we talking about ?
however anyone around my age would easily name for you 7/8 true Joga Bonita squad of 1982 or 1970 cause they are memorable despite the fact that Brazil did win both WC 94 & 02

I remember the 1994 midfield! Dunga himself! the great Mauro Silva and Rai!

Petrinha

Alice in Wonderland
Everything with Dunga started back in 2006 when CBF put him as a coach(coz there was too much partying going around so tehy thought he can bring in the discipline) ... a guy that never coached any team. Since that day he formed the base of the team and it almost didn´t change until today. No matter if the players were playing well or bad in their clubs ... stupid & unreasanoble ...
When the time to call the 23 to the WC, there were questiones from the press(of course) weather Dunga will call Brazil´s new stars Neymar and Ganso and also Ronaldinho, and if he would left out horrible players such as Melo, Gilberto, Bastos, etc...

I remember talking with my Brasileros back then who expected Dunga to be realistic calling the best players as well as 'superstars' ... as not having them in brazilian team is a PROBLEM ... Br always had superstar, a guy who can call the game and decide when he wants. In '86 it was Zico, in '90 nobody so they lost in 2nd stage, in '94 Romario, '98 Ronaldo and Rivaldo, ' 02 Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho, '06 Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

U know how Brazilians r like believing they can beat anyone, that the yellow shirt wins it alone ...
Why Pato, Dinho, R. Carlos & Ganso were left out?! Who the fuck r Grafite, Gilberto, Julio Baptista ...
Other player choices r ridicelous too. Felipe Melo and Thiago Motta both play in Italy, same competition, same position. One loses everything and is a big joke in the Serie A, while other one is an outstanding player that won every single championship, and playing well. Dunga of course calls the worst one ....

Also, not in the position where Br has problems but Luisao and David Luiz form Benfica´s defense. David Luiz is chosen the best player in the portuguese league and was never called to the national team.Luisao is there.

Not to tell about Doni, a ridiculous keeper who played for Corinthians, and is sub in Rome.

The problem is that they got down to 'mortals' level, and when you play levelled luck or a bad match falling apart after 1st half it means something is very very wrong ... and that´s what happened against Netherlands

Dunga is arrogant and stubborn (and not in a good way), every time he called same players that he decided about at the start not allowing any change ... bad ...also he is in bad connection with the press (not smart at all), he has bad manners and imo a coach of an Brazil cannot allow himslef to act like that. E.g. after the match with Ivory coast or Chile, not sure, some guys from the press were talking about Fabiano's lack of form, so he said something like – „and you wanted Luis Fabiano out?!“, then a reporter started to shake his head like meaning no, Dunga interrupted the answer and said "is there a problem with you" and the guy was like "no, i´m on the phone, not even talking to you" and Dunga silently started swearing to the guy ... everybody saw it and the microphone capted some of the sound.
Also, he screamed at Drogba after the end of the match like 'asshole, your team is a shit, f*ck u'!! In portugues, lol, an idiot!!!

And Kaka ... 3 world cups - 1 goal, everybody expected him to lead Brazil to the title, and he never showed it as hasn't got that charsima, he was just another good player in the cup ... Lucio and Maicon are good players, the first one was the best brazilian in the WC ...

So, of course they put him down, his team did look strong, and it's not even if its deffensive lacking the joga bonita we r all used too (but that is not played,let's be honest, from the 80's) but no mental stability & no leader leads to panic after 1st taken goal ... and we saw how it ended ...

Felipao Scolari won't be the new Selecao coach as he came back to Palmeiras, at least not for now, the most likely one is considered to be Mano Menezes from Corinthias, he is not a 'name' as Scolari, but he is charismatic, has big respect for his country and in a good reletiones with the press, ppl like him too ...

Br needs changes asap, wish them all the luck in the world !!!
Boa sorte, gatinhos!!! :D

In Brazil if you don't win you are out. Simple as. I'd be surprised if Dunga is still the coach.

True. He is not, i think they took them down the sec he came out of the plane ... corinthiano is most likely to became the new one as i wrote above.

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Had Ramires been in for Melo, everyone would be hailing Dunga.

Dunga's main problem was that he couldn't find himself in any other player. Simple as.

MJ BarcaFan

Totally agree with Petra... also, the problem with Dunga is that since he used to be a DM, his squad should be one too, lol !!!!!

WC is different and is the biggest stage of world football and what did he bring with him? All those flops and losers.... tsk tsk, as I was watching Brazil played, they are like loads of galloping horses ha ha... no style at all ! That is UNACCEPTABLE Dunga ruined Brasil's prestigious reputation, he clearly lose the plot this time. No wonder he was sacked by CBF, no surprises there.

Brasil will be back in 2014 with vengeance I am sure !!!!!

Guardian

Brazil can go to blazes. They've won it 5 times. FIVE! Greedy #####, Bulgaria won it ZERO times, and we don't moan that much after a defeat :angry:

This generation was poor. This is the true. Even with Motta and the party monsters Ronaldinho and Pato it's still poor. Considering the form of the players (Kaka, Robinho, Melo), the tiredness of the rest, Brazil don't deserve to be crowned as a champion. Holland, Spain, Germany are better teams right now.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans