Andoni Zubizarreta

S

Super Pippo

Sergio, come on man. With a name of Aitor Begiristain Mújica - that's a Vasco. Txiki was just nickname. Besides, Catalán names are actually for of form: Sobregrau, Diumaró, Senillòsa, etc. with them mainly finishing with a vocal with a few exceptions like Planes, Oros, Lull etc.

ps. Will be interesting to see how Zubi will handle his job. Wish him all the luck for the next 6-7 years (given he'll stay for that amount of time, of course).
Didn't know Phil, but if you asked me that name just sounds Castillian to me, it doesn't look or sound particularly vasco to me.

A bit of a side note, but in bcn there was a metro stop called Urgell, which when you pass through it is pronounced very oddly on the train. Is that a catalan name? Or just a fucked up speaker.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Maybe it's just me then, but I've always found names like "Aitor" more Vasco than anything else.

Haha, yeah. It's pronounced Urgelj with a really soft L and a tiny bit of j in it. Urgell is actually a Catalan county between Cerdanya and Pallars, and I suppose derives from the 800's bishop Felix d'Urgell.

Last edited:
S

Super Pippo

Yeah Aitor is, but then so is Iker and he isn't vasco.

I liked bcn metro and its crazy names. Made it hard to know where I was going so it added an element of surprise to each journey. :D

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Yeah Aitor is, but then so is Iker and he isn't vasco.

I liked bcn metro and its crazy names. Made it hard to know where I was going so it added an element of surprise to each journey. :D

I love that about the Barcelona metro, in Madrid every stop is so obvious!

S

Super Pippo

LOL, then you would love Bilbao metro, Proxima parada "Indautxu"... ok... :D

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Please vote for your preferred Andoni Zubizarreta smiley:

zubi.png

Home of Barca Fans