Should instant replay technology be made available to refs in the future?

Should FIFA adopt instant replay tech in the WC and other major tournaments?

• Yes, and it should be made available for all possible calls (goals, fouls/cards, etc)

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Yes, but only when dealing with a possible goal

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • No, that type of technology has no place in football / should just get better refs / etc

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters

XaviMessiGirl

We've all seen many bad calls be made during the WC, I'm sure all of us have been frustrated at least once when blatantly bad calls have been made.

- Edu's disallowed goal for some mysterious reason
- Lampard's goal that wasn't seen by the ref and thus not counted
- Tevez offside goal that was still counted... etc etc

An obvious solution to this problem would be to make instant replays be available to refs so that when a call is challenged it can be dealt with accordingly. This is already used in many other sports so it would not be an uncommon thing. The amount of time spent reviewing calls probably wouldn't take more time than is already spent arguing and wasting time today when you think about it.

Discuss. What do you think? Should the technology be made available in all cases (goals, fouls, offsides etc), just for goals, or not at all?

Personally I think there should at least be replays when a goal is on the line as that can seriously change the pace of the match. If fouls could be challenged like that as well, it might cut down on diving a bit but that would most likely lead to every single foul being challenged which would be counter-productive imo, there would be less football and even more arguing.

Last edited:

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
It should be like Hawkeye, 3 challenges per game. Come on FIFA, as much as I laughed at Lampard's goal not counting, it does need to be fixed, we need goalline technology.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Refs mistakes are a part of football. I do think however that that Fifa should introduce the technology little by little. They did that chip in the ball thing, and believe it or not, it didn't prove to be 100% accurate.
For deciding whether the ball passed the line I would definitely use it. Offsides are always going to be dodgy imo.

XaviMessiGirl

Yeah it's true that those mistakes are a part of the game but in this day and age, should they still be? The bad calls have been excessive too which shouldn't be happening, it's true that refs are far from perfect but some of this is just ridiculous.

And yeah that is a good idea about limiting the number of challenges that can be made, that way if they decide to allow challenges on fouls etc it can be done but at the possible expense of not being able to challenge a more important call later like a goal... players would think before they challenge and that would avoid challenges being made on every single call.

C

Cesc tastic

I think the offical line from Fifa cites expense as a major reason for not bringing it in, I guess we all know the top top leagues can afford it and each of there games is televised anyway, once you get to the 3rd and 4th divisions and lower they may not be able to afford it.

Beast

The Observer
I want it the way it is now.. no need for replays at all
this will be tad boring , lets face u all love a little controversy ..

yes, just yes, it also saves time in a match and it avoids confrontation, only takes 5 seconds to look a screen and decide something,it might slow down the game, but at least it makes it FAIR, Fifa after all endorses FAIR PLAY, when it clearly is NOT fair.
Beast i disagree, people being crushed after their country or team being knocked out over a 'bad call' is ridiculous

Last edited:

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
I voted no... but if yes then only to see if the ball has crossed the line leave offsides and pens to judgement it adds somethign to the game and in the end it all evens out anyways the footy gods make sure of that

XaviMessiGirl

A little controversy yes, it might be amusing to see a player like Ronaldo argue another one of his stupid dives but when it comes to goals and a WC place or major championship on the line then that is not what we want to see, no matter how much we love seeing rival clubs or countries get knocked out over a dumb reason, once it happens to you it's no longer so funny :p

It would get a little boring/lame if people argued every call but that is where what VivaBarca said comes in, put a limit on the number that can be challenged so teams only challenge legitimately

Barcafan 2304

Got to agree with the Beast! Controversy and this kind of talking points would be missed. Human error is part and parcel of life.

antimadritista

A masterpiece of DNA
No. This is football/soccer. This is why its loved that much. Because it involves a possibility of human error, the drama and these are the money making essential things in this business.

Home of Barca Fans