Should instant replay technology be made available to refs in the future?

Should FIFA adopt instant replay tech in the WC and other major tournaments?

• Yes, and it should be made available for all possible calls (goals, fouls/cards, etc)

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Yes, but only when dealing with a possible goal

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • No, that type of technology has no place in football / should just get better refs / etc

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
S

Super Pippo

I really don't see why the game should changed dramatically because the English are soar they got their just deserts.

I'm a firm believer in if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Football is by far and away the most popular spectator and participation sport on the planet - and growing. I think its fine as it is. If you don't like the way its played, watch American football where the match stops every other minute for a replay decision + word from our sponsor.

barca96

well said, also when the people come out with the Fair Play things before a World Cup match starts it makes me sick seriously

exactly. fair play? what are tehy talking about??
ok jsut take a look at the spanish team.
they only collected one card thus far, alonso against portugal.
but should they be awarded that award?
with iniesta falling at the slightest of touches. even puyol over acted last night. lets not start with torres :lol:

XaviMessiGirl

I really don't see why the game should changed dramatically because the English are soar they got their just deserts.

I'm a firm believer in if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Football is by far and away the most popular spectator and participation sport on the planet - and growing. I think its fine as it is. If you don't like the way its played, watch American football where the match stops every other minute for a replay decision + word from our sponsor.

Well it's not just England that got screwed. USA, Mexico, and probably others had horrible horrible calls made against them, some more than once. I don't like England and they deserved to be knocked out for how bad they were, but a goal's a goal and that mistake should not have happened.

Goal-line technology at the very least should exist, put a chip in the ball or something at the post. Those types of challenges won't take long anyway, one look and it would be obvious whether it was a goal or not.

I know it's "part of football" and you have to go into it knowing that those things happen otherwise you might as well not even watch, but there have just been so MANY blown calls made this WC that it's becoming a problem and making the sport less fun for the supporters of the teams affected.

exactly. fair play? what are tehy talking about??
ok jsut take a look at the spanish team.
they only collected one card thus far, alonso against portugal.
but should they be awarded that award?
with iniesta falling at the slightest of touches. even puyol over acted last night. lets not start with torres :lol:

Even though I like Spain I can agree with you. I'm surprised that was their first booking. I can't complain I guess, but still.

barca96

exactly. its not jsut because of WC, but for the many years already we have seen many wrong decisions that could change the outcome of the league or cup.

innniesta

i think only for goals definitely. i don't really get the logic of people disagreeing because controversy is good. Maybe for the spectators, though definitely not if you're supporting that team but what about the players?. How would you like it if you waited years to play in the world cup and for many players it may be their last world cup only to be knocked out by a referees decision?

Guardian

Refs should be hanged after the match in the centre of the field if they made mistakes during the game. It would be great fun.
Sh*t, sorry, shouldn't have watched so many horror films in the last few days. Seems it had a secondary effect on me.

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
it definitelly should..

I know FIFA is agains that, they say that no way the ref can go and watch instant replay.. i agree, but they can assign 5th official to watch replays, and for moments like that, he could tell the ref what to do.. Many, i mean, MANY mistakes has be done in this WC, and not only in WC, but in football in general... it is disgrase how some mistkaes are made..

IMHO, FIFA does not want to use this technology since they are too damn corrupted...

K

Kenyan fan#1

fine, if the goal-posts, grass, stadia and paint-on-the-grass (quality vis-a-vis size and material(s) used) that were used in South Africa were 1 unit different from those used on FIFA's 1st official match, then FIFA can't claim "No Technology" rhetoric.

Type, then, takes on the "weightiest variable" position. Video? I say NO!!! A "whistle" on the ball. ie a beep sound after the ball crosses the line. A sound, a special sound that rings across the stadium declaring: "Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! INIIIIEEEeeeesssssttttaaaaaaaa!!!!! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol! Gol!"

cheers my Barca people :iniesta:

snowy

I vote YES for all aspects (offsides, goal line, tackles, etc.) but with only 2 challenges per side. This would actually add to the human element. Imagine a situation where there's a clear error on a penalty call but the manager has already used up his 2 challenges. lol
tbh, I don't even care about goal lines. The main benefit as I see it is that players will be more careful of making dangerous tackles. For instance, Zunida didn't even get booked when he kneed Ney cuz the ref didn't see it. With instant replay, he'd have been thrown out the game. To add insult to injury, FIFA couldn't even penalize him after the game since the ref hadn't registered it in his book.
Instant replay would be an effective deterrent for such cases and players like Messi, Iniesta and Ney who like to dribble would get better protection :)

Yannik

the problem is that this would completely kill any fluent game. Pause the match for every damn scene. Not even gonna start how broadcasters will milk this for commercials like in the NFL.
Problem is also, if the ref calls off the play for a foul, offside or a pen and the replay shows that he was wrong, how is the match supposed to continue?

Last edited:
the problem is that this would completely kill any fluent game. Pause the match for every damn scene. Not even gonna start how broadcasters will milk this for commercials like in the NFL.
Problem is also, if the ref calls off the play for a foul, offside or a pen and the replay shows that he was wrong, how is the match supposed to continue?

A couple challenges per side would hardly disrupt the game. The other issue is more tricky but still a workable problem.

Home of Barca Fans