Mesut Özil or Cesc Fàbregas

Who would you sign?

• Total voters

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
For me, I'm against signing any young mid fielder because that would block JDS & Thiago's progress. Also if Thiago ain't going to get those minimum number of appearances we are going to be losing out on him for a very cheap value because of a special clause included in his contract.

But Iniesta's frequent injuries does tempt me to sign another mid fielder and I'd prefer some one in his prime, who could be side-lined in 2-3 years without missing him much if the kids do step up by that time. But looks like the board doesn't think on those lines and seem desperate to sign Cesc Fabregas. And now with Ozil, the German Messi, emerging as the star of the WC arguably out-classing even the original Messi, I've been thinking if it would be a bad move not to sign him when he's only one year left in his contract, expressed his love for our club(amidst all the interest in him from the Elite clubs of Europe) and who offers much more versatility than Fabregas or the other kids we are worried about!!

Come on now, we are signing a mid fielder... who would you sign? Ozil or Fabregas?

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I dont feel like he had that good games vs Ghana and today vs England. I also dont see how Özil wouldnt block esp. Thiagos progress, as that would be his natural position to play in the Iniesta slot.

Getting Özil instead of the rumored Mata would make sense, but getting Cesc is absolutely out of question, as he is more versatily, the closest replacement for Xavi that is available and fits perfectly into the team and the catalan environment.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
@el tren

who offers much more versatility than Fabregas or the other kids we are worried about!!
is a big plus for Ozil. And since he's not gonna cost a fortune like Cesc does!! So I was wondering if we could give up on Thiago or have him sold with an option, some thing like that by bringing on Ozil

One thing's for sure, Cesc Fabregas both would block JDS & Thiago. Ozil would only block Thiago... also his versatility combined with Busi's & Iniesta's might get us a new Xavi even if JDS is not going to make it!!

Last edited:

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I dunno. First, i dont see Özil going anywhere for less than 30M now. Also i feel like he is a bit overrated now. I didnt like his last two matches that much. He had some technical flaws today, some easy mistakes. He also was too playfull in several situations, failing to do the easy, more efficient thing - like either a pass, or in 2-3 situation just taking the straight, direct shot.

I was also really hoping and a bit expecting Löw to bring in Kroos for Özil for like the final 15-20 minutes to keep better control of the ball and possession.

Barcafan 2304

Hmmm, i have not seen to much of Ozil, i have to confess. But he definitely looked the part today. Have we been linked with him at all?

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I dont feel like he had that good games vs Ghana and today vs England. I also dont see how Özil wouldnt block esp. Thiagos progress, as that would be his natural position to play in the Iniesta slot.

Getting Özil instead of the rumored Mata would make sense, but getting Cesc is absolutely out of question, as he is more versatily, the closest replacement for Xavi that is available and fits perfectly into the team and the catalan environment.

sometimes I just love you.

spot-on.

zanela

Cesc more versatile than Özil?

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Cesc more versatile than Özil?

In that Cesc can play as a deep lying playmaker and thus offer a strong replacement for Xavi. I dont see the necessary strategical mind in Özil to fulfill this role on a high level, at least not yet.

XaviMessiGirl

Ozil would be cheaper and easier to get, and definitely good enough for Barca, even though personally I still want to see Cesc here. So I don't know really, I wouldn't complain about Ozil at all and we can always try to get Cesc later, but I'm impatient :lol:

Home of Barca Fans