Riccardo Montolivo

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Riccardo Montolivo

Riccardo_Montolivo56.jpg

Riccardo Montolivo born 18 January 1985) is an Italian footballer who plays as a midfielder for Milan. He has played in Serie A for Atalanta, Fiorentina and his current club. An Italian international, Montolivo has represented his country at several major tournaments, such as the FIFA World Cup, the UEFA European Football Championship and the Olympic Games.
A versatile player capable of playing anywhere in midfield, Montolivo's two main roles are as a deep-lying playmaker (regista) and an attacking midfielder (trequartista), which best utilise his technical ability, creativity and range of passing.

Club career

Atalanta
Montolivo began his career in Serie B with Atalanta. At the age of 18, he made his debut during the 2003–04 season. He played 41 matches and scored four goals, helping Atalanta gain promotion to Serie A. In his first season in Serie A, he played 32 times and scored three goals. However, his efforts were in vain as Atalanta were relegated back down to Serie B.

Fiorentina

Montolivo moved to Fiorentina in the summer of 2005. Initially Atalanta retained part-ownership of the player but the following summer they relinquished that option as Fiorentina took full ownership.
During the 2005–06 season Montolivo's first-team chances were limited, partly due to the fact that he was still an inexperienced player and partly because manager Cesare Prandelli had a relatively stable and reliable squad of players at his disposal. The young man's talents did not go unrecognised though. He became a fixture in Italy's Under-21 team, coached by Pierluigi Casiraghi.
The 2007–08 season started well for the Viola midfielder: in the first match day he was as one of the best on the field against Empoli, against which he also scored a splendid goal from a lob. The season follows between ups and downs, but Montolivo confirms himself during the course of the championship as one of the best talents in Italian football.
In early 2010, due to the departures of then-captain Dario Dainelli and vice-captain Martin Jørgensen, Montolivo was appointed captain of the Tuscany-based club. At the end of the 2010–11, Montolivo refused to sign a contract extension, which had a year remaining.

Milan

In May 2012, Milan head coach Massimiliano Allegri announced that Montolivo would join the club on a free transfer when his contract with Fiorentina expired on 30 June.
"Next season Montolivo will arrive and he is a very talented player with great technique," said Allegri to Milan Channel.
Montolivo was highly praised for his performance in the derby against Internazionale on 7 October 2012. Also in this game the referee discarded a stunning 30-yard volley by Montolivo due to a challenge committed by Emanuelson.
On 30 October 2012, Montolivo scored his first goal with A.C. Milan in the 69th minute after Milan were down 2–0 to Palermo by the 47th minute after half-time in the 10th round of 2012–13 Serie A. A.C. Milan drew the match 2–2.
On 25 November 2012, vs Juventus (match won 1–0 by Milan), as Bonera and Ambrosini were suspended and Abbiati was injured, he played his first match as Milan's captain, a few days before this, the club's owner Silvio Berlusconi visited Milanello, and him and the players decided that the captain band will be given either to Montolivo or to the 36-year old Colombian captain Mario Yepes.

--

Probably Milan's best player & joined on a free which is unbelievable good business, very complete in controlling games, defending + attacking. Plays deep & can play as a number #10.

Been outstanding this season. Also captained the side on a few occasions already.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I was thinking he plays much like modric but is very sound defensively, Madrid payed what 45m? Montolivo is superior in all area's and was free :lol:

I was thinking in terms of looks, plus he's got Modric's playing style and a bit of Özils lack of consistency

Ode to Django

He's been consistent this season though, hasn't had a bad game, also very good for Italy & in the euro's.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Ok, haven't seen too much of him for Milan but when I saw him earlier he was either brilliant or quiet. Also thought he was one of Italy's better players in the Euros, only behind Pirlo, Buffon, the CBs and perhaps Cassano or Balo.

Irish_Cules

Very talented player. I do he think he used to remain anonymous in a few games I would watch, especially for Italy. Any time I've seen him this season though he has impressed me. He always seems to make the right decision.

Ode to Django

Scored the winning goal today.

Swiftly becoming my favourite player, i'm so impressed by everything he does.

His stats aren't the best, but that's why i think stats are completely meaningless when judging someone (unless your a forward) i think he is the second best CM in Serie A. & i can't think of anyone as 'complete' in all area's in the world.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans