Sergio Ramos

El Gato

Villarato!
Okay, so do you think the Semedo one is a pen?

Sure. Denial of a scoring opportunity by involuntary accidental contact with both players challenging the ball. Penalty, no yellow.

Why are we even discussing "intent"?
A foul is a foul regardless?

Because intent very often determines whether it is a foul or not, but some fans claim an intentional offense by Ramos away from the ball which should have been reviewed by VAR. Which it couldn't have been.

Vilarrubi

Sure. Denial of a scoring opportunity by involuntary accidental contact with both players challenging the ball. Penalty, no yellow.

You see, this is where you are wrong.

You posted the definition of a challenge by IFAB in the original post which is "Disputa-Challenge: Action with which a player fights with an opponent for a close ball in order to take it away from them."

Semedo is at least 2 metres away from the ball when the accidental contact occurs and in no way does it in order to take the ball away from the opponent. Still think it's a pen?

El Gato

Villarato!
Patience dear padawan. I haven't really had the chance to sit down today.

Contact caused the player to fall and he would have otherwise reached the ball and had a good and clear scoring opportunity. Semedo caused it by going too close. Pretty sound penalty. You'd be hard done to find the ref, or a fan, that wouldn't deem it one.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
He is a thug but he does give his 100%, thuggery or not.

On the other hand, he gives his 100% but he is still a thug.

Vilarrubi

Patience dear padawan. I haven't really had the chance to sit down today.

Contact caused the player to fall and he would have otherwise reached the ball and had a good and clear scoring opportunity. Semedo caused it by going too close. Pretty sound penalty. You'd be hard done to find the ref, or a fan, that wouldn't deem it one.

Out of the 7 categories by IFAB for direct free kicks/pens being given which you posted, which one would that fall under?

You mentioned “challenge” in your post before, but my previous post explains why it can’t be that.

serghei

Out of the 7 categories by IFAB for direct free kicks/pens being given which you posted, which one would that fall under?

You mentioned ?challenge? in your post before, but my previous post explains why it can?t be that.

Fouls are fouls whether they are intentional or not. Luck is part of the game. You can get unlucky and cause a penalty.

El Gato

Villarato!

You mentioned “challenge” in your post before, but my previous post explains why it can’t be that.

He's not there to just run along is he? If he's not challenging for the ball, it could easily be taken as a trip too, as clumsy and unintended as it may have been. Doesn't really make a difference. Denies a pretty clear scoring opportunity in an active chance, fair penalty.

Vilarrubi

Fouls are fouls whether they are intentional or not. Luck is part of the game. You can get unlucky and cause a penalty.

According to statement by RFEF they are not. Read Wolfe's post on previous page

This is from the statement from them explaining why Ramos' stamp was not a pen:

"If there is accidental contact and it is not considered by the referee as one of the 7 listed offenses, recklessness or excessive force are NOT CONSIDERED or NOT TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT."

That's fair enough, so i'm asking, which of the 7 offences does Semedo's fall into?

Devils

Ec_Bm5LWAAA72zD

Home of Barca Fans