Sergio Ramos

El Gato

Villarato!
An equivalent lack of appreciation for his own decline was shown from his side and felt he was being mistreated by suggestions of getting phased out with Navas taking his spot. Has since admitted himself he's not been honest about his level.

Big regret how it went down, but it's not a surprise as the club's players often fell victim of their own hype, be it Raul, Guti or anyone else who left in similar fashion. Modrić on the other hand is agreeing to pay cuts and getting extensions without an issue.

Windhook

I'd like to see him stay at Real Madrid. This migration of quality away from La Liga is no good and the rumours flow in one direction which is PSG. They try to build another pensioners club like AC Milan of the late 2000's.

BarcaOG

Banned
An equivalent lack of appreciation for his own decline was shown from his side and felt he was being mistreated by suggestions of getting phased out with Navas taking his spot. Has since admitted himself he's not been honest about his level.

Big regret how it went down, but it's not a surprise as the club's players often fell victim of their own hype, be it Raul, Guti or anyone else who left in similar fashion. Modrić on the other hand is agreeing to pay cuts and getting extensions without an issue.

modric's level is still very good and dependable tho

Morten

I'd like to see him stay at Real Madrid. This migration of quality away from La Liga is no good and the rumours flow in one direction which is PSG. They try to build another pensioners club like AC Milan of the late 2000's.

I'll gladly take Ramos leaving, if Messi does the same.
Lets be terrible together.

Obviously i would like Ramos to stay though, but it doesnt look like it.

BarcaOG

Banned
i will say though that Casillas was one of the classiest players ive ever seen, always respected him even though he was captain of my rival team, just seemed like an all around good dude, and i think it was really shameful how he left real

ramos i like a lot less but hes a fighter and competitive and a winner, and it would also be too bad if he left without being appreciated for his contributions (kinda like CR who got a bs youtube video....but ramos is more real madrid than CR)

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
modric's level is still very good and dependable tho

Depends. Playing him long-term is not in Madrid's interest. Doesn't have pace to match top midfielders, stamina questionable over length of season despite his recent stretches. Basically he's still very good in short bursts which helps the team as barely anyone in the world has the kind of influence he does. But you'd not want him there in midfield vs peak City as was shown a year ago vs their mediocre iteration, even in better form.
Contractually he's doing exactly what makes sense - stay in a side that appreciates you, but do not burden them when you're 36-37 at the end of the next deal.

Ramos is doing the opposite and has to be for a reason - either ego and thinking he deserves anything to be granted even if unreasonable at a glance because he's given so much over almost 20 years, or a more tangible problem. Sergio and Rene have a history of drawing out negotiations - remember the United saga some years back? Can't claim if it's just or not. But it's clear they are combative, whether from their interviews, that documentary or otherwise. If rumors of the issues with his estate in Los Berrocales are true then it's no wonder things are where they are - https://cincodias.elpais.com/cincodias/2020/06/03/companias/1591204006_700741.html

I do hope he renews, but I think it's too far gone. And he deserves to get paid whatever he wants. Real can't afford him it looks like so if PSG can, all the best.

Last edited:

BarcaOG

Banned
Depends. Playing him long-term is not in Madrid's interest. Doesn't have pace to match top midfielders, stamina questionable over length of season despite his recent stretches. Basically he's still very good in short bursts which helps the team as barely anyone in the world has the kind of influence he does. But you'd not want him there in midfield vs peak City as was shown a year ago vs their mediocre iteration, even in better form.
Contractually he's doing exactly what makes sense - stay in a side that appreciates you, but do not burden them when you're 36-37 at the end of the next deal.

Ramos is doing the opposite and has to be for a reason - either ego and thinking he deserves anything to be granted even if unreasonable at a glance because he's given so much over almost 20 years, or a more tangible problem. Sergio and Rene have a history of drawing out negotiations - remember the United saga some years back? Can't claim if it's just or not. But it's clear they are combative, whether from their interviews, that documentary or otherwise. If rumors of the issues with his estate in Los Berrocales are true then it's no wonder things are where they are - https://cincodias.elpais.com/cincodias/2020/06/03/companias/1591204006_700741.html

I do hope he renews, but I think it's too far gone. And he deserves to get paid whatever he wants. Real can't afford him it looks like so if PSG can, all the best.

fair enough, makes sense.

ps. who do you think will (and who would you rather) have a statue of themselves be placed outside the bernabeau in 10 years or something: casillas, CR, or ramos

Windhook

Casillas was criticised in Spanish media from time to time for having good relationship with most of the Barca Spain NT teammates. That was totally unfair, in the end this is football, not boxing or some blood sport.

El Gato

Villarato!
@Windhook
Indeed he was but that was at the time of Mou looking for a complete rivalry between the two sides and little to do with the manner of his exit.

fair enough, makes sense.

ps. who do you think will (and who would you rather) have a statue of themselves be placed outside the bernabeau in 10 years or something: casillas, CR, or ramos

I wouldn't mind a Casillas or Ramos statue at all. IMO statues are good for anyone who was a mainstay, shows attachment to club and didn't play here to be a mark for himself. Kinda disqualifies CR, but that's my personal opinion and I wouldn't fight it out of respect for accomplishments. Otherwise dunno. Raul could have one, Zidane could have one. Di Stefano has a stadium.

Home of Barca Fans