Sergio Ramos

CuleLife4Life

How can the Kroos-Ramos combo be defended? Any ideas? Is there a Barça defender athletic enough to defend Ramos' headers? Umtiti perhaps? But then they have a few others like Bale, Ronaldo, Benzema, Morata, Pepe, Varane .. as backup weapons.

I was just thinking this. Kroos has excellent precision when targeting Ramos. Its unforgivable teams in La Liga heck European football have not managed to find a way to stop him with his history.

Hazard

Swear he only scores so often because Spanish teams don't often practice set pieces.Has he ever scored against an English team?

BarçaBarça

I was just thinking this. Kroos has excellent precision when targeting Ramos. Its unforgivable teams in La Liga heck European football have not managed to find a way to stop him with his history.

I think there is a way, but it needs 2 men to be on Ramos - 1 to get close to him and mark him (he ALWAYS get away from that one) and another to stand closer to the goal with eyes on Ramos to run from the goal at the ball to challenge him in the air. Problem: Would free up space for others to shine, but maybe all should come back to defend against RM-corners anyway..

Yannik

I'm sure he isn't the greatest defender in the traditional sense, but the fact that the amount of goals he scores from corners kinda outweights the amount of fuck ups that lead to conceding puts him back into the category of the best defenders.

El Flaco

[tw]841039874979483650[/tw]

The last 23 goals Sergio Ramos has scored with Real Madrid, 19 (83%) have come when Real Madrid are losing or tied

[tw]841038276056219648[/tw]

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I'm sure he isn't the greatest defender in the traditional sense, but the fact that the amount of goals he scores from corners kinda outweights the amount of fuck ups that lead to conceding puts him back into the category of the best defenders.

So when he stops scoring these goals he will not be in that category? That's a very flawed logic hugely dependent on his goal return.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
He is a very error-prone CB, but he is still an elite defender. Even without the goals. His passing range, physicality and reading of the game are on top level.

Yannik

So when he stops scoring these goals he will not be in that category? That's a very flawed logic hugely dependent on his goal return.

Well yeah, if he wouldn't outscore his defensive mistakes he wouldn't be in the category.. obviously.
If a goalkeepers stops saving goals than he wouldn't be in that category either. If you perform, you are good. If you stop perform, then you aren't good anymore.

DonAK

Well yeah, if he wouldn't outscore his defensive mistakes he wouldn't be in the category.. obviously.
If a goalkeepers stops saving goals than he wouldn't be in that category either. If you perform, you are good. If you stop perform, then you aren't good anymore.

Goalkeepers is a bit of an extreme example IMO, since when they fuck up, you concede a goal. Ramos fucking up could be everything from playing a part in conceding a goal to getting sent off to doing other stupid shit.

Did you rank Ramos as elite prior to 2014?

Yannik

Goalkeepers is a bit of an extreme example IMO, since when they fuck up, you concede a goal. Ramos fucking up could be everything from playing a part in conceding a goal to getting sent off to doing other stupid shit.

Did you rank Ramos as elite prior to 2014?

I think so..? i'm not sure actually, I kinda forgot how he was then, only remember his CL campaign in 2014 and that was pretty damn good actually

DonAK

I think so..? i'm not sure actually, I kinda forgot how he was then, only remember his CL campaign in 2014 and that was pretty damn good actually

He used to score, but he only got lethal after that 2014 CL run. Defensively he still was a donkey at times like he is now. Without those brainfarts, he would be the best CB in the World IMO, speaking objectively because the guy is blessed with everything along with leadership, although he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer which hurts him defensively.

I guess you can call him for elite now, but what gets me on my nerves are people saying he's the best CB in the World just because of his goalscoring. As someone said a couple of days ago, Real Madrid would probably concede less goals and score more if he played as #9 :p

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
As someone said a couple of days ago, Real Madrid would probably concede less goals and score more if he played as #9 :p

Man, what a load of shite. And I know you're probably being half-joking half-serious.

Why is Pepe-Ramos pairing near impervious in top matches for the past 2 years? Why did Varane-Pepe pairing not work long-term whenever called upon? Why does Nacho overperform consistently whenever Ramos is on the pitch? Answer to all of these is - because of Ramos' captainship. He knows who needs telling off and when. He knows who needs support and when. He knows EXACTLY what to say to pricks with microphones looking for sensationalist statements about refs (which is a refreshing change from all the rubbish we had to deal with under submissive Iker and shit-stirring Jose). Defence is at its highest organisation when he's playing, and at its highest intensity when Pepe is his sidekick. Why is Varane a liability so often? Because Ramos isn't always there to hold his hand, nor should he be, which is still fine for a 23yr old CB waaaaay before he hits his prime.

This lineup without Ramos is near disastrous and that undefeated streak has been preserved for so long, because he's been a caesar on a mission to save his country. It's amazing how we've reached a point where nobody can pretty much say anything constructive about him being shit or whatever else you may want to moan about, because he's reached a pinnacle of heroism and keeps scoring just to stay there, to frustrate and amaze everybody involved in the title run. He just does it, because he can at this point. Notice how "luck" went out of question once Madrid lost a few games and he still keeps saving them. Funny nah?

And it's glorious. Nothing short of a club legend at this point.

As for "elite"... This "elite" status on this forum has for years belonged to no-good individual scrubs like Thiago Silva who couldn't lead a blind grandpa across the street, while the value of collective defensive units was ignored. Would Ramos get into the best defensive side in years Atletico? You bet. Would he knock Azpilicueta out of the Chelsea lineup? Mate... So yeah, screw the labelling of individual players. It's lame and boring. Recognise the value they'd bring elsewhere. That's what'll tell you who's good or no-good.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Ramos was always considered an elite player. He has been a starter for arguably the best national team of all time, for 6 continuous years winning every thing that came their way for example.

How can we forget the 2 straight years where we wished we had him as a successor for Puyol!?

Yes he is an asshole but he is one of the best!

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
He's an asshole only to us. If he played for us, we'd love the guy. "He's an asshole, but he's our asshole," and all, you know.

Home of Barca Fans