User Tag List

Thread: How a Soccer Star is Made--- A view of an American on the Ajax System

all your bases belong to us
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How a Soccer Star is Made--- A view of an American on the Ajax System

As described by the title, this article is a journey of an american journalist who visits the famed Ajax system which has brought us the likes of Crujff, van der Vaart, Sneijder, Seedorf, Kluivert, Bergkamp, van der Sar and many others that have brought joy of Oranje in our lives.

The journalist compares the system of Ajax to the system that is practiced in North America and draws many conclusions out of it. We are also introduced to an upcoming Ajax product, van der Wiel, a right back, who is already considered to be a breakthrough star of this upcoming World Cup It is a must read for people who love the game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/ma...omepage&src=me
    Last edited by House of Flies; 5th June 2010 at 05:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good find!
    but why is this in the playa's section?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cause it was about players lol.

but yeh, it was an excellent article.

loved the bit when he was talking to little kids about ajax

Super Pippo
    Quote Originally Posted by barca96 View Post
    good find!
    but why is this in the playa's section?
    Because life is a beach.

Dr. Raed St. Claire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read 5 pages, its quite interesting.
    May permanent peace be brought to the Arab world. My heart goes out to the families of those who have lost loved one(s). I wish and hope those who are creating religious, racial, regional, and tribal divisions among/within the Arab nations would be defeated in their quest for the destruction of the Middle East.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Pippo View Post
    Because life is a beach.
    Lol.

Dr. Raed St. Claire
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is nice to see someone interview these kids to illustrate that mercenary-ism and emotional detachment is bread in kids at a young age. We are often outraged at players but in reality it is the environment they train makes them that way.
    May permanent peace be brought to the Arab world. My heart goes out to the families of those who have lost loved one(s). I wish and hope those who are creating religious, racial, regional, and tribal divisions among/within the Arab nations would be defeated in their quest for the destruction of the Middle East.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly raed. in North America, you are born and bred to be a part of a team hence stunting their growth... however as highlighted by that article, the Ajax academy kids only care about where they are heading when it comes to their career.

Its so interesting.

dotSC
    I read this the other day from start to finish. Long, but good stuff. I wish there was a similar article on Barca, though.

In the U.S. we have so far to go, our sports culture is just not set up to churn out high quality talent at the rate we should. It's sad because we have kids with the potential. For instance, there is a kid in Hawaii that is scarily similar to a young Messi (skills, growth hormone deficiency, and all) but the coaching isn't up to par. It looks like it's going to be a couple of generations before we can consistently produce quality field players.

Super Pippo
    Quote Originally Posted by beef-supreme View Post
    Lol.
    That gag was always a high risk one, it required someone to know Spanish and appreciate my weirdness. Thanks Peter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Pippo View Post
    That gag was always a high risk one, it required someone to know Spanish and appreciate my weirdness. Thanks Peter.
    Hahha i guess it was so bad that it was good

Super Pippo
    I do love a shit joke.