La Liga Team of the Season 09/10

Guardian

Who do you think should be included in La Liga team of the season?
Here's my opinion:

First team:
Gk - Victor Valdes (Barcelona)
RB - Dani Alves (Barcelona)
LB - Sergio Duda (Malaga)
CD - Pique (Barcelona)
CD - Jose Nunes (Mallorca)
DM - Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)
MC - God Xavi (Barcelona)
RF - Leo Messi (Barcelona)
LF - Ronaldo (Real Madrid
FW - Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid)
ST - David Villa (Valencia)

Second team:
Gk - Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
RB - Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
LB - Eric Abidal (Barcelona)
CD - Carles Puyol (Barcelona)
CD - Pedro Mario (Getafe)
DM - Derek Boateng (Getafe)
MC - Javi Martinez (Bilbao)
RF - David Silva (Valencia)
LF - Juan Mata (Valencia)
FW - Pedro (Barcelona)
ST - Diego Forlan (Valencia)

I know that some of the players have surprisingly made the list, but I'm sure than many of you have watched more games from La Liga this season and their opinion could be more accurate
PS yea I know that Marcelo should be in the 1st or second team, but I hate circus clowns
PSS I know that duda plays as a left winger at his club, but the lack of good left defenders made me put him in front of the likes of Bruno or Arbeloa. Plus he plays as a left back for the Portuguese NT

Last edited:

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Of your first 11, I don't think Alves & Alonso can be in there. great players but certainly no great seasons for them.

Azpilipili on RB and Busquets on DM for me. Arbeloa on the LB as well. Piqué is a certainty in the middle of the defense, but his partner ... I don't think there was one of the big clubs that reached Pique's level. I heard Botia hada great season but only saw him play four or five times so not really hands-on evidence. I would go for Puyol because I think he is the best of the inconsistent rest.

Attacking wise, Villa isn't having the greatest of season to be honest but still probably more consistent than Zlatan. Ronaldo/Higuain/Messi/Xavi are certainties.

First team:
Gk - Victor Valdes (Barcelona)
RB - Azpilipili (Osasuna)
LB - Arbeloa (Real Madrid)
CD - Pique (Barcelona)
CD - Puyol (Barcelona)
DM - Busquets (Barcelona)
MC - God Xavi (Barcelona)
RF - Leo Messi (Barcelona)
LF - Ronaldo (Real Madrid
FW - Gonzalo Higuain (Real Madrid)
ST - David Villa (Valencia)

beef-supreme

Instead of Abidal, it is completely undoubted that Maxwell should be there. Maxwell had a great season and played much much more than Abidal who spend ages on the sidelines through injury. He had a good first few weeks of the season but his injury halted his progress.

Also I would possibly put De Gea instead of Casillas, as Casillas had a dodgy season oftentimes, whereas De Gea was the player who was introduced to the Atletico starting XI and Atletico stopped losing...

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Valdés
Arbeloa Piqué Puyol Monreal
Xavi Busquets Banega
Messi Higuain Ronaldo​

you could argue garay over puyol, maybe, but puyol was so monstrous in the first half of the season that even when you average it out he'd still come out on top.

everyone else basically picks themselves, really.

Beast

The Observer
My team based on the season
--------------------------Valdes-----------------------------
Arbeloa------Pique----------------Puyol----------Felipe
------------------BANEGA------Javi Martinez----------------
----Messi----------------Xavi---------------CR-------
------------------------Higuain--------------

subs:
De Gea
Marcelo (top assist in Real Madrid ) as a LM
Garay
Guti (great second half of the season was there to pick things up whenever needed .. call it a farewell )
Busquets
Pedro
Abidal (until his injury Abidal was by far the best LB with Felipe and very consistent )
Villa
Navas

beef-supreme

Gio as good as Filipe Luis was, he only played 19 out of 38 fixtures... Because of his bad injury. Surely that rules him out of the team of the season no matter how generous you're trying to be...

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
I wouldn't have Puyol in there, he hasn't had a brilliant season. I would also probably have De Gea in goal because he really has been outstanding this year, although Valdes is a good shout also. Benega has really been a surprise, especially after last season.

Rulz

2009 Internet Champion
I think Diego Alves needs to make someones list. The guy is the most under-rated player in the world maybe. Surely he deserves to play in a team better than Almeria?

beef-supreme

Well I agree that Diego Alves had a good season, especially considering the amount of goals conceded given that he's playing for Almeria, but De Gea imo has made a more profound impact on influencing Atletico's season, and Atletico conceded masses before he was in goal, that changed a lot after though. So imo De Gea and Valdes have been too good for Alves to warrant a place. La Liga has many good goalies though, Diego Lopez is always decent, and of course Casillas.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
I wouldn't have Puyol in there, he hasn't had a brilliant season. I would also probably have De Gea in goal because he really has been outstanding this year, although Valdes is a good shout also. Benega has really been a surprise, especially after last season.

puyol was immense first half of the year, though. and apart from garay and perhaps botia there's not really been any standout CB's.

de gea's done well but you can't put anyone ahead of valdés who, start to finish, has been superb.

Beast

The Observer
Gio as good as Filipe Luis was, he only played 19 out of 38 fixtures... Because of his bad injury. Surely that rules him out of the team of the season no matter how generous you're trying to be...
That's due to his 3 month injury Peter , but even last game back from Injury he was on the same form as before ..
if i exclude both the injured Felipe and Abidal than Arbeloa slot right in the LB position with Osasuna Azrrydhdhdjdjdjd whatever his name is takes the RB spot easily .. glad to see Del bosque include him

the problem is there isn't any consistent CB in la liga beside Pique.. maybe Garay but he didn't play a lot of games , for me Puyol is the king of all the rest of the inconsistency and that include Nunes,Albiol..etc
Valdes this season won you as many games as the rest of his career IMO .. def. no 1 keeper this season .

beef-supreme

That's due to his 3 month injury Peter , but even last game back from Injury he was on the same form as before ..
if i exclude both the injured Felipe and Abidal than Arbeloa slot right in the LB position with Osasuna Azrrydhdhdjdjdjd whatever his name is takes the RB spot easily .. glad to see Del bosque include him

But he's only played 1 game since he got back from injury ;)
And yes, i know it was due to injury. Well if we are making this team based on potential and ability to perform then certainly Filipe deserves that LB spot. But if we';re talking about consistency and actual performances, then surely someone who has played the bulk of La Liga matches deserves to be there.
I agree though that Azpilicueta should be at RB with Arbeloa LB and then Maxwell on the subs bench.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
IMO ramis needs more credit for mallorca's defensive performances than nunes.

the portuguese looked hopeless vs. reial without ramis alongside him.

but in general beast is right re: puyol being "best of the rest" - this was more a year of defensive partnerships, rather than solitary CB's.

good shout on filipe, can't believe I forgot him (really shows pep's judgement was spot-on, freakin' depor!). but then he didn't play enough. 1600-odd minutes. you've gotta crack 2000 to get in the starting XI IMO. lemme amend my team:

Valdés
Arbeloa Piqué Puyol Monreal
Xavi Busquets Banega
Messi Higuain Ronaldo

De Gea, Filipe, Botia, Martinez, Guti, Pedro, Villa​

zanela

Same as Gio's...except for defense. I'm gonna pick Botía ahead of Puyol because the former for his debut season and for a team like S. Gijón did amazingly well. Abi for LB, ppl forget how awesome he was till he got injured. Maxwell might 've played more but he didn't reach Abi's level.

________ __Valdés___________
Azpilicueta__Piqué__Botía__Abidal
________Banega___Jav.M______
_Messi_______Xavi________CR9
___________Higuaín___________

Subs: De Gea, Puyol, Felipe, Guti, Navas, Pedro, Villa

Home of Barca Fans