Zlatan stay or zlatan go?

ZLATAN STAY OR ZLATAN GO?

• Total voters

Beast

The Observer
ahahahahaha

whaaat?

I suppose if we have signed him then you have to get your shots in early, but playing for a defensively incompetent valencia side for a coach he doesn't get on with after missing out on two mega moves in the summer the guy still has 22 lliga gols in 32 lliga games. the only people to outscore him are messi, CR and higuain, who have all had amazing seasons.

villa's biggest problem is that he picks up little injuries here and there. that's always been his weakness. but at barca with better medical facilities and a better squad (so less pressure to perform, more opportunities to rest) that won't be as much of an issue. but even then the only reason I'm unsure of his signing is because how much bojan is improving.

Deja vu of Henry debate and Zlatan debate...

u got a year out of Henry who came to Barca @ the same age...
Villa resemble Henry a lot .. and i do mean a lot..

Villa is very talented there is no "IMAGINARY DEFENSIVE SHOTS" here ... i'm not saying he is a flop/crap/bad.. i'm saying his best is behind him so your "POST " is misdirected and out of scope completely ... i don't actually know what was that post is about ?!

Great post, Also is 40 million too much for 3 seasons brilliant, i think people would be furious with Henry if hed cost 40 million and performed the way he has, but for 14 million Titi was awsome, 40? he would of failed 2 out of 3 years, not good eenough by a long shot...What if Villa is the same?

Titi was bought for 24 Million if i remember correctly not 14

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam

Villa is very talented there is no "IMAGINARY DEFENSIVE SHOTS" here ... i'm not saying he is a flop/crap/bad.. i'm saying his best is behind him so your "POST " is misdirected and out of scope completely ... i don't actually know what was that post is about ?!

my bad, Still the same point tho....

maxan10

SirTugAlot
^^ He's 22 how do you know he won't be world class, his performances this season overwhelmed even the most hard core of Cules, if anything he's heading towards stardom if he can improve on this season which I think he will, he has qualities in abundance.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

well not really.

1. I never debated henry with you, he was signed before I joined these forums.
2. zlatan's situation was one of not fulfilling his potential/choking in big games, rather than his best days being behind him.

and villa will turn 29 in december of this year, so if we sign him, we are signing a 28 year old. we signed henry when he was 29 but he never played for us 'til he was 30. plus it took him a year to adapt to spain and a new way of life and being away from his daughter. once he had adapted, he was awesome. then he did what he came here to do and lost a lot of motivation.

villa would have none of the adaptation or familial problems, and already knows several squad members so would fit in much much quicker. so in that sense it's nothing like henry.

as for his best days being behind him, it's hard to tell really because he's staggeringly consistent. he's hit 20 goals a season in all comps every season from 01/02, which was his first full-season in the first team. he's peaked thrice with 28 goals in 05/06, 30 goals in 08/09, and currently 28 goals in 09/10. so yeah, in that sense I can see how you'd say he's like henry.

but then, the key difference is henry had that very telling 06/07 where he only managed 12 goals and just did not look very good at all. in fact he looked physically shot. while villa may not be as devastating as last season, he's not far off at all, and it's certainly not been the kind of comedown henry experienced. and that, coupled with what will be a much shorter adaptation period, gives me confidence ahead of any move. henry was 30 in his first season for us and 31 in his second. IF we sign him, villa will be 28/29 in his first season for us and 29/30 in his second. he's got time on his side before we have to worry about his pace going.

and besides all that, henry has shown on a few occasions this season that mental belief is more important than physical skills. because henry still has pace, not like he did when he was 25, sure, but he's still quick. he just doesn't have the belief, the determination, the drive, to take players on anymore. there have been one or two occasions when he's turned on the afterburners, but mostly he quite obviously can't be arsed to try.

and that's another key issue, probably the key issue: villa has never been a moody sulky git like henry, so he will react to setbacks with much more grace than henry has.

villa, if we sign him, will give us 3/4 years of righteousness (so 28/29, 29/30, 30/31 then maybe 31/32) before his body starts giving out IMO. and as well as being awesome himself, in that time he will pass on knowledge to the likes of bojan to help them improve. btw, this post is both a response to you and a general musing on us signing david villa, because I do love to muse on us signing david villa. so don't take the length to be a sign of overreaction or anything, you've just got my mind working! :lol:

Beast

The Observer
No doubt a much shorter adaption if not none at all considering Valencia also play the ball on the ground .. pass it to Villa behind defenses in open spaces..etc

my point simply comes down to one of Villa most evident characteristic which is his speed , i don't need to tell you fast players tend to lose pace around this age and that's my concern

you won't ever see my doubt Villa finishing or talent ..he is world class

and the deja vu was for "defensive shot " ..etc

yeah it was Jamain for Henry not you .. you two are very very similar

FiReFTW

my point simply comes down to one of Villa most evident characteristic which is his speed , i don't need to tell you fast players tend to lose pace around this age and that's my concern

Everyone is different but usually athletes start losing speed after 30's which is evident from sprinters, Villa is 28. It will take some time for his speed to be down so much that he will start being much less effective , as he also has many other good qualities.

V

Valon

Err Titi was 30 when we bought him, Villa is 28

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Im really a bit uncertain on this one i have to admit. Ibra is indeed not working out as expected and hoped. He seems to slow down the game a lot when dwelling on these balls, also not seemingly having the space to work his flair and esp. cant make much use of his superior physics as hes commiting just too many offensive fouls. It might however be his 1st 'familiarization' season and he finally gets to his his potential next season.

On another thought it still seems like a more mobile sort of center forward works just much more than that. One that still has the technique, touch and enough vision to fit into barcas style. If he also has a respectable height and 'air capability' to make use of crosses esp. vs bus teams, than he might work out just better and w/out much doubt. Thats when Torres comes into play. So im really indecisive here right now ...

nebeer

Love is All
Well, I voted that Ibra should be given one more year. Next season, Ibra will have to have lots of fun up front besides scoring on a regular basis to solidify his place in the team. Though, if I were to choose a CF for our team, I would say bring in Wayne Rooney!! Yes, definitely Rooney. He can be a very good striker for us. He would bring in some kind of direct penetration into our game, which mainly features a passing style. Our passing game, and his penetration, pace and physical presence will create more balance. He is a very talented striker and still peaking. He is one of the most lethal strikers I have seen, and has a very good work rate and commitment. Best buy imo. Just imagine:

Pedro-Rooney-Messi

or

Ibra-Rooney-Messi

or

Villa-Rooney-Messi

Olsend

Offlload this girafe asap, we already lost 2 trophies because of his fault, you guys want risk more?

Last edited:

Scott

Its a difficult situation. It is his first year in Spain, but on the other side, he has had a chance, and did anything with it. In the first half of the season he was OK and i saw every week progression, but in 2010 he is terrible.

I would like to know who has scouted him and advised to Pep. I think this person has also scouted Chygrinsky.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I dont like to blame Pep here. Actually a lot of ppl knew about Ibras skills ans style, but you still cant easily derive from that how he would fit into the BArca system. I felt it was right to test it out and imo it didnt fail so far. Maybe there are just a few more tweaks necessary to get him going.

dalitis8

Banned
Villa is one player,Henry is another.I don't t really understand any attempted parallels...

I dont like to blame Pep here. Actually a lot of ppl knew about Ibras skills ans style, but you still cant easily derive from that how he would fit into the BArca system. I felt it was right to test it out and imo it didnt fail so far. Maybe there are just a few more tweaks necessary to get him going.

Pep is definitely to blame...

1.He knew(or should have known) Ibra is slow.

2.He knew(or should have known) that he has consistently flopped in CL games.

3.He knew(surely)what Eto'o was capable of.

4.He should at least have a grasp of the value of 45mil euros.

It is amazing how much in denial some ppl are...Ibra simply does not equal Eto'o plus 45mil.

Hell,he has been outscored by Pedro(a rookie winger)and had Bojan enjoyed the minutes that Ibra did at CF he would also have outscored him.

Last year Eto'o scored 36 goals,Ibra 21....go figure.

Plus,he breaks our game down.

Home of Barca Fans