Gareth Bale

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
whats so strange, english media ffs... They always make EPL players the best in the world, even those which are not even decent...

but yeah, bale had some phenomenal games.. not only in the past 2-3 weeks, but he has been consistent performer a year now, more or less... But still not the best, not nearly the best.. He is 21 though, has lots, lots of time to imrpvoe his game and improve his weaknesses...

Lemmi

The Reckoner
Plus, Nedum Onuoha is a freakishly pacy defender himself

He was a North West junior athletics sprint champion apparently, could have taken it up as a career. And he got 3 A's at A level (like me:)) except im sluggish.

Pajo

Interista Paja Patak
of course he would.. Naah, in fact, they dont need Bale, they the best team in the world and bale doesnt deserve to wear their shirt! :D

Warik

In all fairness though he is far from the best in the world it isn't just the English media hyping him up, as shown in a European press review here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/03/gareth-bale-hailed-european-press

The guys simplistic style is what is great. It is one of the reasons I like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Villa etc so much, they don't try all these fancy stepovers, they keep it simple. In fact it seems to be our youth systems point to make our players keep it simple. So for that reason I kind of laugh at the detractors who say "But all he did was kick it past the opponent and run after it!" isn't that what all footballers do to an extent? I mean whether you're kicking it 1/4 yard past them or 5 yards past them you're still kicking it past them and running after it. Moreover, to be serious about it, if that works, why do anything else? He made a very good full back look ordinary by doing it, so why change?

I fear for us if we play Spurs tbh, despite many on here wanting to play them. With Dani flying forward Bale could cause a lot of damage to us and Dani might not be able to catch him, especially when you consider that Maicon is pretty quick himself and he couldn't keep up with Bale.

Trequartista

The good
In all fairness though he is far from the best in the world it isn't just the English media hyping him up, as shown in a European press review here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/03/gareth-bale-hailed-european-press

The guys simplistic style is what is great. It is one of the reasons I like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Villa etc so much, they don't try all these fancy stepovers, they keep it simple. In fact it seems to be our youth systems point to make our players keep it simple. So for that reason I kind of laugh at the detractors who say "But all he did was kick it past the opponent and run after it!" isn't that what all footballers do to an extent? I mean whether you're kicking it 1/4 yard past them or 5 yards past them you're still kicking it past them and running after it. Moreover, to be serious about it, if that works, why do anything else? He made a very good full back look ordinary by doing it, so why change?

I fear for us if we play Spurs tbh, despite many on here wanting to play them. With Dani flying forward Bale could cause a lot of damage to us and Dani might not be able to catch him, especially when you consider that Maicon is pretty quick himself and he couldn't keep up with Bale.

Yeah,Bale is a good player .highly overrated by english media but still a very good player and yes he will destroy Alves if we face them unless Pep uses other tactics to close our right hand side which is and was a liability since the start of the season

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

Maicon didn't put the work in. that's why Bale completely roasted him. Rafa's tactics also left him completely exposed 1v1 nearly all the time.

Pep would almost certainly start with Pedro on the right, so immediately we will be able to double-up on Bale. and then if we actually study his game and play him accordingly, we can shut him down as many a PL-team has done. he will be a problem, because as you say Dani's natural instinct is to get forward, but I certainly don't "fear for us" especially because we'll have such a monopoly of the ball that Spurs will struggle to utilise Bale's obscene pace. plus then we have Messi and Villa vs. the Spurs defence.

frankly I'd be more concerned about Lennon. say what you will about Dani but he can defend when asked to. Abidal has always struggled with fronting up his winger and Lennon would turn him inside out, and then he'd get to Puyol, who has the balance of a one-legged drunk. so yeah, I'd be much more concerned about Lennon causing us problems than Bale.

Warik

Maicon didn't put the work in. that's why Bale completely roasted him. Rafa's tactics also left him completely exposed 1v1 nearly all the time.

Pep would almost certainly start with Pedro on the right, so immediately we will be able to double-up on Bale. and then if we actually study his game and play him accordingly, we can shut him down as many a PL-team has done. he will be a problem, because as you say Dani's natural instinct is to get forward, but I certainly don't "fear for us" especially because we'll have such a monopoly of the ball that Spurs will struggle to utilise Bale's obscene pace. plus then we have Messi and Villa vs. the Spurs defence.

frankly I'd be more concerned about Lennon. say what you will about Dani but he can defend when asked to. Abidal has always struggled with fronting up his winger and Lennon would turn him inside out, and then he'd get to Puyol, who has the balance of a one-legged drunk. so yeah, I'd be much more concerned about Lennon causing us problems than Bale.

I dunno, I fear Lennon as well, but it is all too easy for people to just say "Oh Maicon wasn't trying!" about this. Its so easy to just do that whenever a player you like comes off worst, its almost like the super hero arguments people have when they are kids. Like "Superman owned Batman!" - "Nuh-uh, Batman wasn't really trying!" you could apply it to many things in life and it would go on ad infinitum.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
I agree, If we play spurs Maxwell or Adriano should play on the left instead of Abidal.

Bergkamp10

You haters are just as hilarious as the bandwagoners IMO

@Alexsong tell me you wouldn't wank your balls blue if he was a gunner?

Probably. He's a good player but a bit one dimensional and is being found out a bit in the league. That being said I'd have him in Arsenal's team. He'd really benefit in our system imo.

Daemul

whats so strange, english media ffs... They always make EPL players the best in the world, even those which are not even decent...
but yeah, bale had some phenomenal games.. not only in the past 2-3 weeks, but he has been consistent performer a year now, more or less... But still not the best, not nearly the best.. He is 21 though, has lots, lots of time to imrpvoe his game and improve his weaknesses...

So true, they've come up with a new one today, Andy Carrol is the best striker in Europe lmao

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep

I think Alves is faster than Maicon, and he has improved defensively over the last season, actually I think he's the type of defenders Bale won't have much joy against...

Daemul

Bale is your typical Brazillian RB, who bombs down the flank, whilst Maicon is more of a reserved RB, but when he goes foward without any cover is badly exposed whilst Alves can get back quick.

Home of Barca Fans