Gareth Bale

Garrus

If we played the same way with thier back four, I can guarantee we would have much less problems defensively. It's not stupid to compare names it's just a fact that thier defence is better. I never said they are guaranteed to win the champions league.
We don't need to have their 'names' in the back for us to have a better defense than them, Because of the simple fact we have something they don't and that's our pressing.
And i meant the previous galacticos when talked about the CL, Because in their time, On paper they had the better 'names' than all the other teams, But that didn't them make them necessarily superior.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Yes, but we would have a better defence if we had thier back four, even if we keep the same style. The galactico thing doesn't make much sense. I'm not saying their defenders are better than ours because they have bigger "names" (which is bs btw we have big names throughout our back four) but because they are actually better players.

big_man

Yes, but we would have a better defence if we had thier back four, even if we keep the same style. The galactico thing doesn't make much sense. I'm not saying their defenders are better than ours because they have bigger "names" (which is bs btw we have big names throughout our back four) but because they are actually better players.

The thing is, your assertion is baseless when this amazing Madrid defence concede more or less the same amount of goals as Barca over the past couple of seasons where its been at its absolute worst (playing DM's as makeshift centrebacks, Pique in rotten form, puyol out all the time), despite Madrid playing in a more defensive setup, it just makes absolutely no sense.

I accept that the defence is the weak part of the team, but Madrid aren't a shining example of what the Barca's defenders should aspire to I'm sorry.

pEllee

We don't need to have their 'names' in the back for us to have a better defense than them, Because of the simple fact we have something they don't and that's our pressing.
And i meant the previous galacticos when talked about the CL, Because in their time, On paper they had the better 'names' than all the other teams, But that didn't them make them necessarily superior.

And just how good has Barcelonas pressing been against the top teams? And of course Barcelona would benefit a whole lot by having a better back four. Many of the goals conceded were because of poor marking and similiar mistakes.

However, I don't think Madrid has a great defence though.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
They are still an upgrade on our defenders. You're telling me you wouldn't swap pique and masch with Ramos and varane?

Beast

The Observer
Without getting into pity fights with some delusions in some people head... if we had a terrible back four or less than Barca how come no one in the world claim Madrid need to buy a defender not even a single cule ? Pundit ? or Madridista while you lot been crying out loud for anyone to join you even a LB to be converted into a CB or DM to put Busquets back

It is a fact that Madrid main back 4 is better , we can argue Alba is better than Marcelo but the rest ? .. they are past their best by a country mile
Just go to Puyol , Pique , Alves thread and see your own opinion without the pity posts you are posting here .....or better don't ask for any CB and let's see what you will do in the next clasico and won't be far from the last 8/9 clasico's

Meitux

There isn't any argument at all comparing our defence with Madrid's. The only thing that was missing for Real was a good right back and they found it in Carvajal. As you say Beast serious comparisons can't be made, Pique is out of form for 2 seasons and same goes for Alves who is declining and Mascherano simply can't be better than Ramos or Varane. Madrid surely has a better defence at the moment.

big_man

They are still an upgrade on our defenders. You're telling me you wouldn't swap pique and masch with Ramos and varane?

You keep banging on about how they're better, yet there is no proof of how they'd fare in Barca's system where they'll be left literally on their own 70% of the time instead of being helped defensively by Arbeola, khedira, Alonso and Di Maria.

Ramos is a very good defender who is prone to a multitude of brain farts and is a walking red card(if the refrees do their jobs correctly) half the time. He has cost Madrid in crucial ties so many games over the past couple of years.

He's "better" than Pique now who is at his absolute worst, but that isn't a testament to how good he is, I wouldn't put him in the very top bracket of defenders, that applies to Varane too, a fantastic defender for his age, for his age being the operative word.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
They'd fare much better. The other team only has the ball 25% of the time and they deal with only four attacking moves per match. They also have pace strength and height aswell as better reading of the game and positioning. The High line is not a problem at all with thier physical attributes.

big_man

Without getting into pity fights with some delusions in some people head... if we had a terrible back four or less than Barca how come no one in the world claim Madrid need to buy a defender not even a single cule ? Pundit ? or Madridista while you lot been crying out loud for anyone to join you even a LB to be converted into a CB or DM to put Busquets back

It is a fact that Madrid main back 4 is better , we can argue Alba is better than Marcelo but the rest ? .. they are past their best by a country mile
Just go to Puyol , Pique , Alves thread and see your own opinion without the pity posts you are posting here .....or better don't ask for any CB and let's see what you will do in the next clasico and won't be far from the last 8/9 clasico's

Nobody said you had a "terrible back four", it just isn't all that, for a team with amazing defenders you sure keep a lot of clean sheets, and you talk about someone having delusions.

No one has said barca's defenders are amazing, infact, this place is littered with comments bashing the Barca defenders every minute. Your defence just isn't great sorry.

How the heck can you call your defence great when you concede 42 goals in a season? :lol:

Last edited:

spark

The fact is if you gave us Ramos or Pepe or Varane we would use them better. Madrid in recent seasons conceded more and similar number of goals as us despite having better raw materials to work with. At set pieces despite having 4 or 5 better headers of the ball plus actual tall players Madrid do worse than us defensively at that for the last two years except when they play our midget team. Which is shocking.

big_man

They'd fare much better. The other team only has the ball 25% of the time and they deal with only four attacking moves per match. They also have pace strength and height aswell as better reading of the game and positioning. The High line is not a problem at all with thier physical attributes.

They don't even fare better(nevermind "much better") in their more defensive setup, so your assertion does not compute.

Beast

The Observer
Nobody said you had a "terrible back four", it just isn't all that, for a team with amazing defenders you sure keep a lot of clean sheets, and you talk about someone having delusions.

No one has said barca's defenders are amazing, infact, this place is littered with comments bashing the Barca defenders every minute. Your defence isnt just great sorry.

How the heck can you call your defence great when you concede 42 goals in a season? :lol:

Statistics ....you can bend them as much as you like
First the main 4 CB includes Varane.. who played less than half a season + Iker injury ...
most of the disasters came early in the season before Varane was introduced... and after he was injured towards the end of the season

Our two main CB are one of the best CB pairing in the world... I think they are easily top 3 if not the best of the top 3...

Hamzah

High Definition Member
It does compute. Madrid give up more possession, which means the other team is likely to create more chances. In our system our team keeps the ball for 80% of the match and the other team only has the chance to launch three attacks per game.

Beast

The Observer
It does compute. Madrid give up more possession, which means the other team is likely to create more chances. In our system our team keeps the ball for 80% of the match and the other team only has the chance to launch three attacks per game.

This

Home of Barca Fans