Sir Bobby Robson

C

cule1991

"You have to understand that Barcelona is a nation without a state, and Barça is its army." -Sir Bobby Robson

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, old sport. Moved your post here and despite only being with Barca for 1 season and largely disappointing us who remember that team of Ronaldo, Hristo, Enrique and co. he was still a perfect gentleman and deserves to have a thread.
Nice quote btw.

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
You always describe his season as 'disappointing' Bojan, despite the fact we won the Copa, the Cup Winners' Cup, and nearly won the league. There have been far more disappointing seasons.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
It was a memorable season: 3 cups (include the Cup Winners Cup) and best stricker! What a team. Only beat by RM in finbal matches... but second with acess to CL!

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You always describe his season as 'disappointing' Bojan, despite the fact we won the Copa, the Cup Winners' Cup, and nearly won the league. There have been far more disappointing seasons.

Having watched every single match that season and having had high hopes as everyone else at that time, it was a disappointment.
De La Pena craze was at it's highest. Forget about Ronaldinho and Messi. That kind of craze won't be repeated. We brought back Hristo. We bought wonder Ronaldo. We got Pichichi Pizzi. Giovanni, who scored something like 40 goals before signing for us. We brought Couto and Blanc who were probably equivalent of Terry and Rio nowadays. And we bought Baia who was considered best GK in the World at that time. We snapped Lucho from Madrid. Pep was here, Popescu, Figo...
Since we weren't in CL, La Liga was basically only thing that mattered that season and the disappointment of losing it to Capello's Madrid, who btw butchered us in CL final just few years before that, was a big blow.

Robson didn't control the locker room. You could see scenes of Barca players fighting who will take the penalty, players openly criticizing the coach and overall lack of team play.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
2 years since the great man passed away :(

The 2nd greatest manager England has ever had and a man that had integrity, respect and a fountain of knowledge of the game.

Was disgustingly and unceremoniously dumped as Barca manager (After winning the copa and cup-winners-cup) in favour of THE MOST OVERRATED MANAGER IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL LOUIS VAN GAAL. FACT. and henceforth the dutch shite he brought to barca.

Was also disgustingly and unceremoniously dumped as Newcastle manager by they muppet Freddie Shepherd, whereas a chairman with an inkling of intelligence and long term thinking (well newcastle don't do long term thinking never have and never will because their fans are muppets and wouldn't get a long term project if it hit them in the face) would have asked Robson, when he was to become manager in 1999 to choose someone to tutelage and gain experience to take over from Robson when he retired and to bring continuity to the club.

But Sir Bobby Robson was always a man and a manager that I always respected. First of with England, because that is when I was first aware of him as england manager. He took a lot of personal shit in the 80's from the english press and with dignity he came through it and built a team that almost won the world cup. No doubts they would have beaten argentina in the final in 1990.

Then he went abroad, proved himself as a manager again in Holland, Portugal and Spain back again in England.

He brought much needed stability to Newcastle. For the majority of his reign they were a top 5 club and were almost close, particularly in 02/03 to doing someting special. They just lacked, imo that midfield general that arsenal and man.u had in Vieira and Keane and that one top class centre back that those 2 clubs had in Campbell and Ferdinand.

But to make a club like Ipswich a major force in english football, which they were in the late 70's and early 80's took something very special. To win the fa cup and uefa cup and be 2nd twice in the league was a great effort.

Robson knew how to build a team and forever more will be known as one of the top managers the world has ever seen.

The game is poorer for his passing. 2 years seems just like yesterday when hearing the news.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
One of my heroes. Absolute gentleman and you never hear a bad word said about him.

Newcastle were part of the top 3 for most of his tenure. I actually get goosebumps thinking about how much of a great man he was, before thanking him for services to my club and country.

Siempre Con Nosotros, Bob x

E

estranged

Don't find people like him in football anymore, great man.

Home of Barca Fans