• Italy: Pirlo, De Rosi, Gattuso.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • France: Ribery, Gourcuff, Toulalan.

• England: Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick.

• Brazil: Kaka, Diego, Robinho.

• Argentina: Cambiasso, Zaneti, Mascherano.

• Portugal: Ronaldo, Simao, Nani.

• Total voters

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
^He's Italian thats why! ;)

It looks like on Paper Spain are the favorites this year by faaaar margin. They got balance all over, besides the keeper perhaps :D.

Great Defense, Awesome Midfield, Scary Forwards. I hope they don't disappoint again this time around.

S

Super Pippo

Pippo, you voted italy. Care to explain your reasoning?

I do agree that their midfield has a great balance, Gattuso and Pirlo were once the greatest midfield pairing in football. Now, I don't know. It will be interesting who will take up these two roles when they are done. I think De Rossi is a candidate; however, is is more of a mix of the two. I admire Giovinco, I think he needs to find a new club since Juve obviously don't value him as much as he should be
Well as a selection of players we have far greater variety of attributes, which you noted. As a unit I think Italia can call up on tremendous players in a tackling/physical position like Rino as well as have a very good metronome player like Pirlo. Spain for sure has the more in form players in this area, but Cesc, Xavi and Iniesta are all so similar, all small, all experts in the passing of the ball. For the physical, winning the ball back and damaging the opponent i'm not sure what Spain can look to is nearly so good, so it doesn't have as good a balance for me. As good as they are, i'm not so sure they will be as an effective midfield as Italia can be with the right motivation.

TheMessiShow

I agree that Spain's midfielders are all in the same mold. I think that Marcos Senna was the biggest factor for Spain to win the Euros because of the balance which he brought to the team, now there isn't really a player who is willing to do the dirty stuff which Senna did (dirty as in physical).

The make of break point for Spain is definitely the physicality in the midfield. I think seeing Spain meeting Ivory Coast in the knockout round is extremely likely and I am looking forward to how they would cope with that.

desoe

I agree that Spain's midfielders are all in the same mold. I think that Marcos Senna was the biggest factor for Spain to win the Euros because of the balance which he brought to the team, now there isn't really a player who is willing to do the dirty stuff which Senna did (dirty as in physical)..

You mean this dirty stuff? :D

Spain+v+Argentina+International+friendly+fekyWt6E2Kxl.jpg

TheMessiShow

can't Alonso play that role?

They have similar playing styles and roles; however, I think that Marcos Senna was just a perfect compliment to Xavi and Iniesta. He was a great tackler and is aggressive enough to make that decisive in the midfield. He is also the typical Brazilian and was great with the ball. Xabi Alonso is very similar and possibly even better, but not in a positional sense. Marcos Senna is exceptional when it comes to positioning and movement. As a defensive midfielder he is always in a place where he could support the attack and defense at the same time. The fact that he was playing with Xavi and Iniesta who are fairly attack minded midfielders. Xabi Alonso also has a tendency to go up and attack. Anyways that is my reasoning

You mean this dirty stuff? :D

Spain+v+Argentina+International+friendly+fekyWt6E2Kxl.jpg

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
This is a no brainer, Spain of course. Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Cesc, Busquets, Alonso etc.
But England's midfield is also impressive.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
This is a no brainer, Spain of course. Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Cesc, Busquets, Alonso etc.
But England's midfield is also impressive.

no it's not. it's rubbish. lots of big names and reputations, very little actual performance in any kind of international stage (club or country). hargreaves is the only top-class midfielder they have, and he's crocked! lampard can make a case for sheer production, and carrick would be top-class if he had balls, and gerrard and lennon can be phenomenal on their day but lack consistency.

spain win easily.

Home of Barca Fans