João Laporta

Messi983

Did he? Valencia had been a mess, thanks to mostly Peter Lim but did Mateu Alamany really do a good job there?

I have serious doubt about Laporta's judgement here.

He was responsible for bringing Marcelino and they've finished 4th twice and won CDR in two years before they were thrown out of the club by Lim. Considering they were 12th in two seasons before Alemany/Marcelino and 9th last season and with all fire-sale they could even be a relegation candidates this season I'd say this was pretty good. It was probably mostly on Marcelino but Alemany also deserves credit to bring him and then stick with him when they've struggled early in 2018/19 season. Also made some good signings like Kondogbia, Coquelin, Wass, Neto, Maxi Gomez (won't say Guedes cause he came through the Mendes-Lim connection).

Who knows what he could do if he'd have a full support from Laporta (which he would if he'd be his man) instead of the club president/owner interfering in his work all the time.

khaled_a_d

Yeah, Alemany is a solid CEO, and a guy you want in your team as important piece of the buzzle.
Though, we still needs some other guys, competent SD (most likely will be a new face, an ex player) and a good sporting consultant (ex coach like LVG/Rijkaard)
This elections is Laporta's to lose, he should better be ready with a competent team.

Paying such a huge salary to Alaba at the age of 28 is mental. This something Barto would do.

In the media it was said that he wanted 20 mio a year, maybe a few less. He is the boss of the Bayerndefense. If the figures about Griezmann are true (45 mio a year) then offload Griezmann give Alaba his 20 mio a year. He is 28, can still have 5+ good years, can play on multiple positions, he is like a better Roberto and he is very good at CB. We pay shitloads to offensive players with little outcome, why not for once bring a world class defensive player? It did wonders for Liverpool.

FinBarcelonafan

In the media it was said that he wanted 20 mio a year, maybe a few less. He is the boss of the Bayerndefense. If the figures about Griezmann are true (45 mio a year) then offload Griezmann give Alaba his 20 mio a year. He is 28, can still have 5+ good years, can play on multiple positions, he is like a better Roberto and he is very good at CB. We pay shitloads to offensive players with little outcome, why not for once bring a world class defensive player? It did wonders for Liverpool.

It's not that bad idea but we have no money. I am sure we would try to sign him otherwise. Exactly what we need. Our defense is shit.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Hopefully he will lay out some clear ideas and plans, instead of thinking that he doesn't have to put much on the table and those older, out of touch socis will vote him into office and everything will be fine.

Things have changed a lot since Laporta was here last time.

fergus90

Our greatest president and I would certainly love it if he came back but I'm not naive to think just because it worked before it will again. He relied heavily on Johan Cruyff before for sporting advice and the majority of the key components of his board are now working at Manchester City.

Going to be very interested as to what his intentions are though.

Vilarrubi

Announced his presidential candidacy.

Hopefully be seeing this as the new “Barto sleeves rolled up” photo:

EoEJ23-W8BIrIM0

Some nice words on his campaign website:

https://joanlaporta.cat/en/

Let’s go.

fergus90

The new La Masia slogan of ‘you’ll never walk alone’. Can’t help but think I’ve already heard that somewhere before :lol:

Home of Barca Fans