Frank Lampard

Gerrard was naturally more gifted but Lampard worked harder to become a better player. Cristiano Ronaldo's another good example, as talented as he was, his drive and determination to be the best put him on another level to the likes of Robben and Rooney who were both considered better when they were about 19/20 years old. Look back to Euro 2004-Germany 2006, no one could have forseen how it was going to change.

Nice example I think a better one is Ronaldo and Quresma when they use to play for Portugal u21, I generally at the time thought Queresma in particular and CR7 would actually terrorise every nation

DavidVillano1

Lol Gerrard carried Liverpool to cl places for 3 years from 2001 to 2004 I'd like to see lampard carry a team by himself.
Carried :lol: such a myth when it comes to Gerrard!!

Gerrard was carrying Babbel, Barmby, Redknapp, Hamann, Barmby, Owen, Hyypia, Carragher, Heskey, Anelka, Riise etc? Those pub standard footballers!!

Owen was much more important in that period for Liverpool than Gerrard. Gerrard's goal returns were like 3,4 and 5. 15 assists over three seasons.

Comparing both of their abilities in Passing, Dribbling, Shooting, tackling, speed and if you compare them Gerrard was better in pretty much all aspects of the game
Gerrard had a better shot, don't agree about passing. Gerrard has better long passing(although constantly messing up with the hollywood pass) certainly better crossing.

Don't think either are great at driblling, tackling shouldn't be a factor for attacking midfielders, then again Lampard's defensive side is underrated and Gerrard's overrated IMO.

Lampard was much more intelligent, disclipined and better on the ball and under pressure. Those are the reasons's he's been able to adapt in a deeper role whilst Gerrard can't. Lampard is more of the continental type footballer whilst Gerrard is the British type player.

Last edited:
K

Karnivore

Carried :lol: such a myth when it comes to Gerrard!!

Gerrard was carrying Babbel, Barmby, Redknapp, Hamann, Barmby, Owen, Hyypia, Carragher, Heskey, Anelka, Riise etc? Those pub standard footballers!!

Owen was much more important in that period for Liverpool than Gerrard. Gerrard's goal returns were like 3,4 and 5. 15 assists over three seasons.

IMO Gerrard had a better shot, don't agree about passing. Gerrard has better long passing(although constantly messing up with the hollywood pass) certainly better crossing.

Don't think either are great at driblling, tackling shouldn't be a factor for attacking midfielders, then again Lampard's defensive side is underrated and Gerrard's overrated IMO.

Lampard was much more intelligent, disclipined and better on the ball and under pressure. Those are the reasons's he's been able to adapt in a deeper role whilst Gerrard can't. Lampard is more of the continental type football whilst Gerrard is the typical British type player.

Absoloutely spot on.

S

Smile

I've never liked Lampard personally, quality player on his day but never a player to take the game by the scruff of the neck and win a game by himself like true quality players can and like Gerrard DID in his day, for Lampard to perform the team he is involved in needs to perform.

DavidVillano1

Did Lampard not do that the other week away to Everton?

As for the Gerrard point, I've never bought into this myth about winning games by himself. The main one that always pops up is the CL final against Milan. Was Gerrard not invisible until Hamann came on? Did Gerrard make Dudek save the day throughout?

Two of his 'carrying Liverpool on his own' myths, both were won on pen's and Gerrard was the only Liverpool player to show up. Madness!

S

Smile

So wait a minute, are you trying to tell me what i (and everyone else) have saw on Gerrard's career and how he carried little Liverpool for years, never happened, is a myth and it was everyone else who really is dreaming, suuuuure :pep:

In the rules of math and numbers who do you think is really dreaming though?

DavidVillano1

You and everyone else. :lol:

You sound like a 14 year old, who will say Justin Bieber is the best singer on the planet due to the majority of teens(who don't understand real music) buying his music.

Anybody who believes Gerrard carried Liverpool, is certainly dreaming. It's disrespectful to the good and some great footballers Gerrard has played beside over the years. Such as Owen, Hamann, Hyppia, Carragher, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres, Redknapp, Babbel, Anelka and so on!

As for the 'little' comment, I really dislike Liverpool but they're still a massive club and still at least the second biggest in England. But I'm sure you think Chelsea and City are bigger clubs, lol!

Last edited:
S

Smile

I sound like a 14 year old? :messi: Reading some of your posts you sound completely bonkers, do you even watch football or listen to it on the wireless?

Jenks

The thing with Gerrard is that he had a completely free role where he could run about like a lunatic, pinging decisive Hollywood balls or smashing goals in from distance or making crunching tackles. Everyone remember the goals that flew in and the balls that worked, but not all those that went astray. Lampard was always more disciplined than that, always more intelligent, and that's why over all he consistently contributed more to his team. Gerrard is the more naturally gifted, and likely the better leader, but he's not the more effective footballer overall. It's no fluke that Lampard consistently outscored Gerrard and made more assists for the bulk of their careers.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
The thing with Gerrard is that he had a completely free role where he could run about like a lunatic, pinging decisive Hollywood balls or smashing goals in from distance or making crunching tackles. Everyone remember the goals that flew in and the balls that worked, but not all those that went astray. Lampard was always more disciplined than that, always more intelligent, and that's why over all he consistently contributed more to his team. Gerrard is the more naturally gifted, and likely the better leader, but he's not the more effective footballer overall. It's no fluke that Lampard consistently outscored Gerrard and made more assists for the bulk of their careers.

I think that's part of the myth with Gerrard, he's a much flashier player. Also because he's not effective in any set role and needs his freedom, a lot of Gerrard's finest moments came at the expense of everyone around him so a lot of the time he's "carrying" the team because of his detachment from everyone around him. Gerrard never impressed me for England, and a lot has to do with his inability to fit within the team concept.

Lampard is guilt of playing hero ball a little too, but Chelsea never went out of their way to build everything around him at all times the way Liverpool did with Gerrard, and so Lampard has always seemed more efficient and able to fit within a team concept to me.

S

Smile

I think that's part of the myth with Gerrard, he's a much flashier player. Also because he's not effective in any set role and needs his freedom, a lot of Gerrard's finest moments came at the expense of everyone around him so a lot of the time he's "carrying" the team because of his detachment from everyone around him. Gerrard never impressed me for England, and a lot has to do with his inability to fit within the team concept.

Lampard is guilt of playing hero ball a little too, but Chelsea never went out of their way to build everything around him at all times the way Liverpool did with Gerrard, and so Lampard has always seemed more efficient and able to fit within a team concept to me.

I would say the same with Lampard tbf, apart from scoring a few penaltys he's been awful. I would say Gerrard's had the better international career of the 2 but even then he's not been as talismanic as he has for Liverpool.

Gerrard vision (aka 'hollywood balls') is underrated though, a large percent do come off and he's a lot more technical and intelligent footballing wise than people give him credit for.

Jenks

Lampard made the killer pass for two of the three goals that Chelsea scored against Barca last season. He offers the team much more than just the odd goal.

K

Karnivore

He's slower these days, that comes natural with old age, but in his pomp he was absoloutely brilliant. Anyone who even questions his passing needs shoeing:

For many years he played alongside players who did the nitty gritty, like Makelele and Essien - the perfect foil for a player like him. That left him to go and score near 200 goals for Chelsea and create a further 100+ for other. He was in effect a 20 goals/20 assist a season player.

Ronaldinho had many a good word to say about him actually, and recently Pirlo, he's regarded very highly abroad, whereas strangely in his own country many are quick to put him down. Some people need to realise there's alot more to football than having great technique.

S

Smile

he's regarded very highly abroad, whereas strangely in his own country many are quick to put him down. Some people need to realise there's alot more to football than having great technique.

I think the reason they do that is because he hasn't quite done it for his country, for Chelsea though he as been a fantastic player.

K

Karnivore

Neither he nor Gerrard have produced their club form for their country though, and to be quite honest, only Ashley Cole and Michael Owen can really say they've been a success over that the last 10 years (before injuries got the better of Owen). We've produced a number of top players down the years and they've simply failed to shine like a long list of England players since 1966. A player should never be judged by the International stage though, it's incredibly unfair.

Home of Barca Fans