MLS

Lemmi

The Reckoner
my brother took them far on FM..

I have a team in most countries, I will make my MLS pick soon.

DM: Med school starts at 18 here too :)

Lemmi

The Reckoner
It's either FC Dallas, San Jose or Columbus Crew. I like the Crew bit so maybe them..

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
No disrespect to the league, But its on the verge of becoming graveyard to old past it stars looking for a final pay day.

Pires, Henry, Raul. are the latest.

silky_soccer

Fireman Sam
Well the league will benefit from that.

Publicity wise, yeah its the best thing for it, but i cant honestly see it changing that much, Europe will always be where the Top players will play. and Older, past their prime players may now take the Big money move to the MLS when they cant cut it at the top....

Pepe Silvia

Strangely enough, the league may not benefit from it at all.

As huge of stars as some of these players are outside of the USA, they are not even slightly popular inside the USA (MLS). They are not on Pepsi, Coke, or any other commercials (ok Henry was on ONE Gillette commercial). They are rarely in the news for more than 2 seconds (hell I've never even seen Lionel Messi on ESPN Sportscenter ffs). / exaggeration.

The only player with any clout to come in to MLS is Beckham because of his appearance/world wide appeal and not because of his footballing skills.

Henry and Raul will not be a big deal outside of the fans already inside the MLS circle because they are just not marketable.

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
Strangely enough, the league may not benefit from it at all.

As huge of stars as some of these players are outside of the USA, they are not even slightly popular inside the USA (MLS). They are not on Pepsi, Coke, or any other commercials (ok Henry was on ONE Gillette commercial). They are rarely in the news for more than 2 seconds (hell I've never even seen Lionel Messi on ESPN Sportscenter ffs). / exaggeration.

The only player with any clout to come in to MLS is Beckham because of his appearance/world wide appeal and not because of his footballing skills.

Henry and Raul will not be a big deal outside of the fans already inside the MLS circle because they are just not marketable.

That is not true there is interest for sure and these stars coming will make the league get much more coverage in the states

hell ill drive 10 hours to columbus when Raul plays there to abuse him and curse him with my Barça and catalunya flags

iced1776

NY Redbulls beat Juve 3-1 in a friendly today!

No disrespect to the league, But its on the verge of becoming graveyard to old past it stars looking for a final pay day.

Pires, Henry, Raul. are the latest.

Its not as if the league is currently busting out talent left and right, how could it possibly be a bad thing to have quality players finish their career here? The league is still in the process of gaining a stable fanbase and having recognizable names can only help.

Hopefully the effect will be more like Beckham's rather than Ljungberg's

Nobody here knew who Ljungberg was, Henry is a much much more recognizable figure and he will certainly draw some attention

D

Do0m

It will help this league to get popular outside the usa too.
For exemple, in France, we NEVER have any news about this league.
If Henry play in it, I'm pretty sure they will sometimes talk about it.

Home of Barca Fans