Pep Guardiola

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I don't think he will stay at City too terribly long because of his ambitious nature. His eye will be on the Spanish NT imho.

I know people will always long to have him back here bc City look absolutely unstoppable. Absolute joy to watch and it really hurts seeing another team play better football than us. But, while I do think he will return someday (maybe as his last "hurrah" before retiring), it won't be until a completely new board is in place. Maybe not for at least another 6-7 years, and who knows what sort of club we will be then and if we are still an attractive project.

Call me crazy but I think Xavi will get us back to playing that sort of football. I hope Valverde can give him a good foundation to work with but in terms of player development, he's not off to a great start.

Unlikely that Pep will manage a NT. I could see him doing that for the span of a major tournament like WC or Euro only. Pep is a manager who is always obsessed with tactics and match preparation, and the long breaks between games for a NT in a calendar year will be very inconvenient for him in that regard I think. Also reckon that if he did agree to coach a NT, he would be managing both the club and the NT.

JamDav1982

He left both Barca and Bayern mainly due to the club's board/Senior management. I don't think he will have that issue in City. I can see him staying at least 5 years. The next WC is in 2022, so he might leave in 2021 but he is sepertaist and Spain won't hire him.

No he didnt.

He has said why he left Barca and he stayed probably longer than expected to.

Will stay longer at City as he wants that to be the club he leaves his legacy. Something almost impossible to do at Barca - Cruyff and at Bayern.

George_Costanza

No he didnt.

He has said why he left Barca and he stayed probably longer than expected to.

Will stay longer at City as he wants that to be the club he leaves his legacy. Something almost impossible to do at Barca - Cruyff and at Bayern.

What he said is a political answer, i.e not answer a direct question and just beat around the bush. If you read his biography "Pep Confidential: The Inside Story of Pep Guardiola’s First Season at Bayern Munich", He clearly hated the board and it was his main reason to leave. The board's treatment of Johan Cruyff is among other reasons.

JamDav1982

What he said is a political answer, i.e not answer a direct question and just beat around the bush. If you read his biography "Pep Confidential: The Inside Story of Pep Guardiola’s First Season at Bayern Munich", He clearly hated the board and it was his main reason to leave. The board's treatment of Johan Cruyff is among other reasons.

No it wasnt it was a very direct and to the point answer as to why he left which fits in with all he said from the moment he joined.

Pep left as he felt was no longer having same affect on squad and has said as much.

Whether he disliked the board or not that is a seperate point and not why he left no matter how many times that lie gets repeated.

I have read that book have you? There is nothing in it that says the board was main reason he left. Think you need to read it or read it again.

He had issues with Laporta as well as the following board but Barcelona and being manager there overides any of that.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

:lol:

Board bent over backwards to get him his signings and to keep him. Don't know of that biography is legit or not but it's just a good excuse.
Pep said from beginning he wouldn't be staying for long and he clearly wanted to pursue his personal glory more than going Alex Ferguson route.

I had enough of this BS that board was the reason he left. It's a pure lie.

JamDav1982

:lol:

Board bent over backwards to get him his signings and to keep him. Don't know of that biography is legit or not but it's just a good excuse.
Pep said from beginning he wouldn't be staying for long and he clearly wanted to pursue his personal glory more than going Alex Ferguson route.

I had enough of this BS that board was the reason he left. It's a pure lie.

The biography does seem legit but it doesnt say the reason for him leaving was the board.

The author of the biography in response to these suggestions has said in past -

People around FC Barcelona have often claimed that Pep’s decision to leave was influenced by Sandro Rosell’s lack of support for his plans to make drastic changes to the squad. Plans which apparently included selling players like Gerard Pique, Cesc Fabregas and Dani Alves.

The Catalan coach flatly denied this when we spoke: “It’s just not true. I left Barcelona because I was worn out. I explained how I felt to the president in October 2011. There was no change of heart after that. So it would have made no sense at all for me to start changing the squad. I knew I was leaving!

“The facts of the matter are that we won four titles that year and were playing better than ever, with the 3-4-3 we used against Real Madrid and the 3-7-0 I opted for in the Club World Cup. We were playing brilliantly but I was on my knees and had no new tactical ideas left. That was why I left. There was no other reason.”

Pep has backed this up repeatedly and his time at Barca went pretty much as he said it would from day one.

George_Costanza

The biography does seem legit but it doesnt say the reason for him leaving was the board.

The author of the biography in response to these suggestions has said in past -

People around FC Barcelona have often claimed that Pep’s decision to leave was influenced by Sandro Rosell’s lack of support for his plans to make drastic changes to the squad. Plans which apparently included selling players like Gerard Pique, Cesc Fabregas and Dani Alves.

The Catalan coach flatly denied this when we spoke: “It’s just not true. I left Barcelona because I was worn out. I explained how I felt to the president in October 2011. There was no change of heart after that. So it would have made no sense at all for me to start changing the squad. I knew I was leaving!

“The facts of the matter are that we won four titles that year and were playing better than ever, with the 3-4-3 we used against Real Madrid and the 3-7-0 I opted for in the Club World Cup. We were playing brilliantly but I was on my knees and had no new tactical ideas left. That was why I left. There was no other reason.”

Pep has backed this up repeatedly and his time at Barca went pretty much as he said it would from day one.

Yes, I have the book on my kindle, Do you want a screen shot? And I doubt you read it, you just googled some quotes from the book to post, but you left the few pages before those quotes you have posted which is what I explained in my original reply to you, when I said, Guardiola, had a political answer to the question.

The few pages before your Guardiola's quote:

"In Pescara, in the north-east of Italy, Manel Estiarte (Pep Guardiola's personal assistant) smiles. Hard though it had been for his old friend to close one chapter of his life, the decision about his next step had obviously been an easy one. Their destination would not after all be England, but Germany.

The exchange is taking place five months after Pep’s departure from Barca. In this time, he has been flooded with offers: Chelsea, Manchester City, AC Milan and, of course, Bayern. In reality, they are not job offers, but love letters, project proposals for this most illustrious of coaches.

The departure from Barca had been long and difficult and Guardiola had shared his plans with his friend Estiarte before speaking to the club, or even to Tito Vilanova, his deputy and successor. The reason was pretty straightforward. After four years at maximum intensity, Pep was drained. He had no more to give.

This was not the only reason, of course.

Over his four-year tenure, Pep had been expected to act as coach, club spokesperson, virtual president and even travel co-ordinator. During that time he had also struggled to remain on good terms with two successive presidents.

He had found in Joan Laporta a dynamic but pushy man who possessed volcanic energy and who could be supportive one minute and undermining the next. Electric, contradictory – occasionally lewd.

Sandro Rosell was different and Pep quickly discovered that the new president’s smiling demeanour concealed the cold, treacherous heart of a bureaucrat. Guardiola balanced the at-times hysterical behaviour of Laporta with his own calm sobriety. He coped with Rosell’s sanctimonious posturing by injecting an overdose of his own energy.

Relations with neither president were simple. Pep managed to deal calmly and quietly with Laporta’s histrionic outbursts. Although the two men were not close, the coach appreciated the opportunities the president had given him. Laporta had initially appointed Guardiola as Barcelona B coach and Pep had been hugely successful there, bringing the team up from the tough Third Division, an achievement he still considers one of his greatest successes. His gratitude to Laporta was absolutely sincere and also extended to the sports director, his old colleague from Cruyff’s 'Dream Team', the elusive winger, Txiki Begiristain.

The triumphs of Laporta’s period in charge, however, concealed the struggles and skirmishes going on behind the scenes.

At times Pep felt like the captain of a ponderous ocean liner as he fought to steer the team in one direction whilst the club pulled in the other. No decision was straightforward, whether it involved transferring training sessions to the new training ground, making sure his technical staff had the same sponsored cars as the squad, organising publicity shots or agreeing the club’s official position on any issue. FC Barcelona was a vast machine that moved to a rhythm and leadership style that had little to do with the way Guardiola managed his team.

However, by early 2010 Guardiola sensed that things were about to take a turn for the worse. Presidential elections were looming that summer and Sandro Rosell was the favourite to win. Rosell had been vice-president from 2003 to 2005, until disagreements with Laporta forced him to resign.

Under Laporta, the Catalan coach had won all six titles: La Liga, the Copa del Rey, the Champions League, the European and Spanish Supercups and the Club World Cup. Rosell won the elections with an overwhelming majority and his arrival added a sense of animosity and resentment to the already complex bureaucratic difficulties which plagued life at the club.

In private, the new president referred to Pep as the Dalai Lama. Believing his coach to be a Laporta devotee, he was slow to trust him and resented the fact that the team had peaked too early by winning the six trophies during his predecessor’s reign. The gulf between president and coach became unbreachable when Rosell persuaded the club’s general assembly of members to vote in favour of taking legal action against Laporta. Rosell was smart enough to abstain from the vote himself, but for Guardiola it was the beginning of the end.
For four years, Pep demanded unstinting effort from his players. Nothing but their best would do and at times his exacting standards caused friction within the group. Many of the players were unfazed by the relentless work rate, but some felt they had earned the right to relax a bit. They were the elite of world football, after all, and they had the trophies to prove it. More than one of Pep’s men were now interested in contesting only the important games and they began to make excuses to avoid the kind of grim, uninspiring winter matches which were played on cold, inhospitable pitches. To add to Pep’s woes, one new signing in particular was failing to live up to expectations.

Despite the team’s continuing success, Pep knew that his time at Barça was nearing its end. “The day I see the light go out of my players’ eyes, I’ll know it’s time to go.”

By early 2012, some eyes were already a little less bright.

JamDav1982

Yeah so exactly as you have said there the board were not the main reason at all and he found both board difficult to deal with for different reasons as I said.

The reason was pretty straightforward. After four years at maximum intensity, Pep was drained. He had no more to give.[/B

All there to easily see main reason why he left.

As I said at no point does the book say board was main reason he left and Pep has spoken about this many time but some people just continue to go with that lie.

Just screen shot bit that backs up your claim rather than parts that back up mine.

Last edited:

George_Costanza

Yeah so exactly as you have said there the board were not the main reason at all and he found both board difficult to deal with for different reasons as I said.

The reason was pretty straightforward. After four years at maximum intensity, Pep was drained. He had no more to give.[/B

All there to easily see main reason why he left.

As I said at no point does the book say board was main reason he left and Pep has spoken about this many time but some people just continue to go with that lie.

Just screen shot bit that backs up your claim rather than parts that back up mine.

Arguing with you is like this:

police-academy-fascinating-facts.jpg

George_Costanza

There is no real argument.

Saying Pep left mainly due to board is a just a lie.

So would you believe me if I say I'm Donald Trump? Are you that naive really or trolling as usual. The only lie was when Pep said it wasn't because of the board. All the evidence including the biographer Pep himself appointed suggested it was mainly because of Rosell and cos. It's not my problem when you limit your logic and don't analyze the evidence to justify a conclusion.

JamDav1982

So would you believe me if I say I'm Donald Trump? Are you that naive really or trolling as usual. The only lie was when Pep said it wasn't because of the board. All the evidence including the biographer Pep himself appointed suggested it was mainly because of Rosell and cos. It's not my problem when you limit your logic and don't analyze the evidence to justify a conclusion.

You are making things up and the telling lies about where you got it from.

Nothing but trolling.

The biographer himself said the opposite of what you claim and said it the reasons Pep gave him were the reasons I gave you.

Give up. You are having an absolute nightmare here.

Point to where the book or biographer says the board was the main reason. He says the opposite.

You havent read it.

Quote from biographer of what Pep told him. From your post..

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Also no Pep's quotes whatsoever how board made him leave. And even if you found some somewhere else it's still only one version of the story and we all know Pep has hardly behaved like saint and used to speak outrageous stuff about both managers and players. His Bielsa and Lahm quotes particularly hilarious.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Looks like he's named in a report submitted by the Guardia Civil(Paramilitary police force) in Spanish Supreme Court for supporting those imprisoned in the crime of rebellion.

Home of Barca Fans