Pep Guardiola

xxxxxx

I think him signing a new contract means Messi will sign in January.

I see no reason why Messi would want to stay another 6 months, and it's best we get something for him whilst Man City are prepared to pay for him. If we can get 50m and Garcia for him, I'd take it.

Birdy

Why would he leave to go elsewhere?

Best league in the world by light years, best managers are coaching there, most competitive and challenging place to be.
Add on the top of that, that City have a proper club hierarchy and departments that take care of all aspects of the game. Plus, that he can always build the squad without worrying about his club going bankrupt (like Barca)

On the tactical front, he is conspicuously trying to change recently, with his new 4-2-3-1. Time will tell if this works.

Last edited:

Morten

Why would he leave to go elsewhere?

Best league in the world by light years, best managers are coaching there, most competitive and challenging place to be.
Add on the top of that, that City have a proper club hierarchy and departments that take care of all aspects of the game. Plus, that he can always build the squad without worrying about his club going bankrupt (like Barca)

On the tactical front, he is conspicuously trying to change recently, with his new 4-2-3-1. Time will tell if this works.

Yes, so competitive that the top teams routinely gets close to 100 points, and Liverpool really won the league basically by last December.

I really wish people stopped using the word "competitive" in regards to the PL, its no more competitive than any other league, so just stop.

Birdy

Yes, so competitive that the top teams routinely gets close to 100 points, and Liverpool really won the league basically by last December.

I really wish people stopped using the word "competitive" in regards to the PL, its no more competitive than any other league, so just stop.

They get close to 100 pts because they have competitors that are capable of also achieving that, like in 2019: City 98, Liverpool 97.
Sometimes they reach that and their opponent fails to (like last year with Liverpool) but the opponent was capable of doing so (City last year)
Plus, you have to look at how difficult it is for a team to win each and every game.
Looking that they won all the games until January proves nothing, if you don't look closer and see how they won them.
Liverpool were putting some much effort to win even against bottom table sides, and they were putting that week in week out.

You present it as if we are talking about PSG in Ligue1 where they win without much effort with rotations and nothing to worry about.

You are biased, like many other users here who still think LaLiga>EPL. I can't help you...

Morten

They get close to 100 pts because they have competitors that are capable of also achieving that, like in 2019: City 98, Liverpool 97.
Sometimes they reach that and their opponent fails to (like last year with Liverpool) but the opponent was capable of doing so (City last year)
Plus, you have to look at how difficult it is for a team to win each and every game.
Looking that they won all the games until January proves nothing, if you don't look closer and see how they won them.
Liverpool were putting some much effort to win even against bottom table sides, and they were putting that week in week out.

You present it as if we are talking about PSG in Ligue1 where they win without much effort with rotations and nothing to worry about.

You are biased, like many other users here who still think LaLiga>EPL. I can't help you...

No, that would be you, actually.
Also, two teams reaching close to 100 points doesnt make the league amazing, its just two teams ffs, what about the other 18?

Wrong again, btw, Liverpool and City had no problems bashing teams in the last few seasons.

This is of course because they are/were great teams, it says next to nothing about the rest of the league.
Just like Barca`s domination 10 years ago said nothing about the quality of la liga in general.

So please, just stop, it may be the best league, but its no more competitive than other leagues.

Last edited:

Birdy

In regards to winning the league, it has been between City and Liverpool the last 3 years.
Then you have competitiveness among 5 or 6 teams every year for the 2 CL spots, and then for the other position you have teams competing in clusters again.

But again, competitiveness is not about how many teams are going for the league, it's about how hard it is to win a game even against bottom table teams.
Something that many other leagues do not have. It was competitive last season btw Barca and Madrid until the very end, but LaLiga in general was not very competitive.
Barca was dropping point because they were shit, not because majority of teams they were playing against were any good, same for Madrid.
Who said domination says anything about quality of the league?
I used PSG and Ligue1 as counter-example

I don't think you have watched much EPL from what you say. I watched all Liverpool games last season and for example they struggled to break down even Villa and Burnley at home. That's a mark of competitiveness in the League, it shows how difficult it is.

Hardy

I think him signing a new contract means Messi will sign in January.

I see no reason why Messi would want to stay another 6 months, and it's best we get something for him whilst Man City are prepared to pay for him. If we can get 50m and Garcia for him, I'd take it.

forget it, it's not realistic a player like Messi leaves in the middle of the season, City can't be such idiotic to pay 50 mil plus Garcia when they'll sign him for free few months later.

JamDav1982

He would be staying regardless of Messi.

Said it all before he has said City is his legacy to leave behind and always planned to stay longer and from EPL is only a downwards step.

More likely to move to another country for a couple years then back to EPL than ever coaching Barca again.

xxxxxx

forget it, it's not realistic a player like Messi leaves in the middle of the season, City can't be such idiotic to pay 50 mil plus Garcia when they'll sign him for free few months later.

If they sign Messi, they'll make more back from his marketing alone. So, it would be a very good signing not because he's a very good player but because he also earns his club a ton of money.

Besides, 50m is nothing to City. It also won't hurt them much in regards to the FFP. Oh, it gives City a big chance of winning the Champions League this season.

JamDav1982

If they sign Messi, they'll make more back from his marketing alone. So, it would be a very good signing not because he's a very good player but because he also earns his club a ton of money.

Besides, 50m is nothing to City. It also won't hurt them much in regards to the FFP. Oh, it gives City a big chance of winning the Champions League this season.

City wouldnt make up 50m/Messi wages and value of Garcia by end of season.

They will try to get him to sign pre contract then force through a much lower price and pressure Barca in Jan to avoid his huge signing on fee due in summer.

Most likely that fails and signs in summer.

Last edited:

Messigician

Messi to City all but confirmed. They better win at least a PL together.

:lol:

Nope Pep not interested.

🗣 ? Pep Guardiola: "Messi is a player from Barcelona, if you ask me my opinion I have a huge gratitude for what Barcelona has done for me, what I want is for him to finish his career there." [via @City_Xtra]

Pep: ?I would love, wish, I have said a thousand times. I would like, as a Barcelona fan, for him to finish his career there. I don't know what is in his mind, for now he is a Barcelona player. The transfer market is in June? #Transfers 🇦🇷🔵

Home of Barca Fans