Pep Guardiola

MTL_Barca

Pep is definitely very demanding but i think there is a reason coaches staying like 10 years isn't very common.

Often they are already fired at that point (never happened to Pep, and the clubs he left wanted him to stay) but even besides that most of these problems you listed aren't exclusive to just Peps style. Others demand high intensity as well, motivation naturally goes down after winning etc.

There are exceptions of course but in general that applies to many coaches/styles imo. Atletico peaked years ago and won't get better at this point, and Simeone already is one of the rare cases. Even happened to Klopp at Dortmund and it wouldn't be that surprising to see his Liverpool run cool down a bit as well after winning both big titles.

Right now Pep is still doing fine with City, so that level could probably kept up for some more years. If he leaves soon that's more on him being a perfectionist and seeking another challenge.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
RIP

15861824643050.jpg

Richard.H

I recently went back and rewatched the full Chelsea vs Barca 2009 CL SF match on YT:

Wow, even with my Barca bias this game would be completely overturned if VAR was around back then. There's two clear cut penalties for Chelsea. The ref clearly gave a red card to Abidal to make up for the other horrendous decisions he made in the match.

Not to mention Barca was playing like absolute crap. Every 50/50 ball Chelsea won, every counter attack by Chelsea was dangerous, and we had what, like 4 shots on target the entire match? Eto'o completely invisible, Messi sulking and barely running (even at age 22 wow), Abidal and Yaya Toure not very good at the back (Yaya was a makeshift CB due to Puyol suspension so I give him a pass). Only decent players were Dani Alves, Iniesta, and Xavi this match.

To think the 2009 CL title would be out of our hands if literally any other ref was at Stamford Bridge, scary.

I guess CL 2012 makes up and balances out this CL tie. In a fair world, CL 2009 would be Chelsea's/Man U's and 2012 CL would be ours.

Last edited:

Richard.H

Also, posting about the match in this thread because I'm not too sure where else to post it. We don't seem to have a general barca match thread for old matches and their discussion.

BADGERBHOY

I recently went back and rewatched the full Chelsea vs Barca 2009 CL SF match on YT:

Wow, even with my Barca bias this game would be completely overturned if VAR was around back then. There's two clear cut penalties for Chelsea. The ref clearly gave a red card to Abidal to make up for the other horrendous decisions he made in the match.

Not to mention Barca was playing like absolute crap. Every 50/50 ball Chelsea won, every counter attack by Chelsea was dangerous, and we had what, like 4 shots on target the entire match? Eto'o completely invisible, Messi sulking and barely running (even at age 22 wow), Abidal and Yaya Toure not very good at the back (Yaya was a makeshift CB due to Puyol suspension so I give him a pass). Only decent players were Dani Alves, Iniesta, and Xavi this match.

To think the 2009 CL title would be out of our hands if literally any other ref was at Stamford Bridge, scary.

I guess CL 2012 makes up and balances out this CL tie. In a fair world, CL 2009 would be Chelsea's/Man U's and 2012 CL would be ours.

Go back and watch the first leg then and maybe you'll see the awful decisions that went against us. Maybe they balanced out over the 2 legs.

JamDav1982

Go back and watch the first leg then and maybe you'll see the awful decisions that went against us. Maybe they balanced out over the 2 legs.

Decisions did not really balance out but in first leg Barca should have had pen and red card for Bosingwa and that changes whole tie.

Also Etoo was through one on one in first half wrongly flagged offside and Ballack should have seen red in second half.

khaled_a_d

Decisions did not really balance out but in first leg Barca should have had pen and red card for Bosingwa and that changes whole tie.

This is something that people need to understand, it isn't about how many mistakes made by referee, because if it was fair from start the whole thing would have been totally different. A butterfly effect

serghei

Mistake tally was about even overall in that Chelsea tie. They just complained more (Chelsea), because they fucked up against 10 man Barca and went out. And because their pen. claims happened more recently.

Basically, Chelsea's attitude was like, it doesn't matter the refs didn't gave a clear pen for Barca in the first game, didn't sent off Ballack and probably Bosingwa too (could be argues he's the last man and stops a clear goal scoring opportunity), and wrongly stopped Eto'o 1 vs 1 with Cech. Only the penalties they didn't get matter. Typical bias from the losing side.

Barca - Inter tie a year later was far more unbalanced in terms of errors being made. Was something like 5 big errors against Barca and 2 in favor.

If you want the full story. The guys is biased and a Barca fan (Chelsea had 3 clear pens imo), but the many situations that favored Chelsea are clear. And are just as many as the ones that favored Barca.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

This whole what's fair/ what should have happened always lends to a never ending black hole.

What happened, happened. If there was VAR in that time, the defensive shape likely would have been different and the players wouldn't have taken such risks.

Home of Barca Fans