Pep Guardiola

Stric

I remember that Tito was ill, in case you were wondering. However, his illness does not erase the fact that he coached the team prior to falling ill. We were saved by an incredible Messi and the fact that RM lost and incredible number of games in a row and gifted us with something like a 18-19 point lead. Other than that, the team was a mess. But the worst part of it was that Tito was incredibly stubborn and kept making the wrong decision again and again, even when it was blatantly obvious that he was in the wrong. I feel sorry for him and his family because of what happened, and I can understand that after he fell ill his coaching career could not be viewed the same way, but excluding that part, if we're being honest, he was just not a good manager. And it wasn't surprising, he had very little experience and nothing to suggest that he would be great.

Last edited:

RMU ReBorn

This x1000. It makes me very sad that we have Valverde. Inferior in every way.
Longest unbeaten streak in La liga history (Barcelona under Valverde) . Inferior in so many ways ( well that's your opinion ) . But certainly he isn't inferior in every way given that we are comfortable defending without the ball and had better defensive record last season undee Ev

RMU ReBorn

Tata football>>>EV's any day. It just shows that you just value trophies and nothing else. Tata would have won if he had the squad under Lucho or EV. I think he was unfortunate not to win. VV injury in crucial month played a big part, but again his football is more attractive than what we have played in the last 2 seasons.

Yeah Tata would have won the treble with Gomes , Paco ,Paulinho , Arda , Alena Dennis aa bench players . Tata had Xavi , Iniesta (in better shape , not the granny version who can't even complete a single game without getting subbed off ) , Pedro + one of the hardworking player we ever had ) , Fabregas , Messi , Neymar , Alves ( Best fullback in our history) . Pretty much the same team that Lucho had except Rakitic and two good goal keepers . Tata dude is managing some MLS team back in USA and has been a terrible manager for Argentina . Haven't proved himself anywhere and then you compare him with a manager who took Espanyol to Europa league final and defeated Barca 4-0 in a super cup final . Valverde with Basque talents finished inside top 7 for 4 seasons in a row and the same club finished 15 th last season .

BusiTheKing

Longest unbeaten streak in La liga history (Barcelona under Valverde) . Inferior in so many ways ( well that's your opinion ) . But certainly he isn't inferior in every way given that we are comfortable defending without the ball and had better defensive record last season undee Ev

We're comfortable defending without the ball? Mentioning the Roma game is becoming one of the annoying tropes around here, but damnit if you don't keep forcing it on yourself.

Chelsea gave us plenty of trouble as well. Willian got a free shot at goal everytime he dropped his shoulder.

Alik

I remember that Tito was ill, in case you were wondering. However, his illness does not erase the fact that he coached the team prior to falling ill. We were saved by an incredible Messi and the fact that RM lost and incredible number of games in a row and gifted us with something like a 18-19 point lead. Other than that, the team was a mess. But the worst part of it was that Tito was incredibly stubborn and kept making the wrong decision again and again, even when it was blatantly obvious that he was in the wrong. I feel sorry for him and his family because of what happened, and I can understand that after he fell ill his coaching career could not be viewed the same way, but excluding that part, if we're being honest, he was just not a good manager. And it wasn't surprising, he had very little experience and nothing to suggest that he would be great.

We won the league with 100 points. Something that has never been achieved. That happened regardless of what Madrid was doing.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
We won the league with 100 points. Something that has never been achieved. That happened regardless of what Madrid was doing.

Madrid did it the season before but I think you meant to say "something that we'd never achieved before."

RMU ReBorn

We're comfortable defending without the ball? Mentioning the Roma game is becoming one of the annoying tropes around here, but damnit if you don't keep forcing it on yourself.

Chelsea gave us plenty of trouble as well. Willian got a free shot at goal everytime he dropped his shoulder.
One match lost and you keep mentioning that for the eternity . :lol: . We had an excellent defensive record last season and conceded far less compared to previous season . Allowed Chelsea to play possession game and it was almost 50/50 at one stage and still won 3-0 . Willian troubling us was more of Roberto being so poor . Apart from that we defended well and kept them under lid without conceding many

George_Costanza

Yeah Tata would have won the treble with Gomes , Paco ,Paulinho , Arda , Alena Dennis aa bench players . Tata had Xavi , Iniesta (in better shape , not the granny version who can't even complete a single game without getting subbed off ) , Pedro + one of the hardworking player we ever had ) , Fabregas , Messi , Neymar , Alves ( Best fullback in our history) . Pretty much the same team that Lucho had except Rakitic and two good goal keepers . Tata dude is managing some MLS team back in USA and has been a terrible manager for Argentina . Haven't proved himself anywhere and then you compare him with a manager who took Espanyol to Europa league final and defeated Barca 4-0 in a super cup final . Valverde with Basque talents finished inside top 7 for 4 seasons in a row and the same club finished 15 th last season .

bro, seriously I don't think you appreciate football beyond results. Your love for Catenaccio football is obvious. You are better suited to support teams like ATM, not Barcelona but again, ATM doesn't win jack shit.

KingLeo10

bro, seriously I don't think you appreciate football beyond results. Your love for Catenaccio football is obvious. You are better suited to support teams like ATM, not Barcelona but again, ATM doesn't win jack shit.

this is what gets me about all those dudes that incessantly hype the likes of ATM, chelsea, juve, roma etc on this forum and call our players grannies or schoolboys. It's not like these other clubs are winning any CLs to begin with. :lol:

i_bleed_blaugrana

First off, people on here have every right to idolize Pep. He’s not perfect; his demands can wear down some players and it’s why he talks so much about mentality if you listen to him. Yaya, Eto’o, Ibrah, Deco, Ronaldinho, they were outstanding individuals but it’s all about the team. People confuse that for him wanting to “dominate” people, not realizing a key part of what being in a team means. He’s gotta manage a couple dozen relationships and think about every player before making a decision and with that team-first ethos being his expectation, I don’t think he really has time for players trying to put their egos and emotions in way of the team. Certain managers thrive on using the players emotions to get the best out of them; Pep is firery in his demands and desire to win but otherwise, he’s not that sort of manager. Certain players need that, others don’t.

His man management is definitely his weakest aspect but he makes up for it with his other attributes. He just needs players who are humble and not all about themselves. He’s certainly a modern tactician but he is very old school in a lot of his methods, something I’ve always particularly enjoyed about him.

I still have mixed feelings on EV; last season was strange. He’s a very logical guy and I appreciate that about him. The squad was very limited last season and with what he had to work with, he did well. But we absolutely had to stop Real in the CL and we didn’t for one reason or another. On one hand, I get why he has us in a 4-4-2 at times, we’ve simply been playing more direct and less positional football since Tata so why go against that trend? And as we all know, kinda hard to play our football with Paulinho and Gomes as your interiors. I personally am not particularly fond of seeing us in a double pivot; it played its part in our struggles against Chelsea and the Roma meltdown and the trend of Dembele coming off for Arturo is worrying to me, but really up until this summer, I got why he did it.

This season however, I’ll be judging him a little more closely because now he has the squad. This is a strong team that has enough players that can win games at different levels. Outside of Luis, I’m not worried about the starting 11, it’s how Arthur, Arturo, Roberto, Malcolm and Rafinha are utilized this season. If we wanna win the CL this season, particularly with our group, he’s gotta be able to trust our squad players with points on the line in La Liga. Only way he does that is by not only giving them minutes but chances to succeed and shine by putting them in the right situations, in the right positions within the right systems. Outside of Arturo, most of those players are going to need the 4-3-3 to shine imo so I’d really like to see that be our main formation and use the double pivot for strictly for situational play.

So yeah, I say we chill on the EV bashing for now but I’ll always love Pep. For the record, if he had half of Zidane’s luck, we’d have won 4 CLs in a row. Why do you think he first went to study Pep?

i_bleed_blaugrana

+1

Tragic and sad, RIP to Tito but before his diagnosis, I was never convinced and he started some bad trends with us. His season was the real beginning of Messidependencia, he tried doing Pep’s offensive movements and overloads without his pressure off the ball and it left tons of time and space for teams to exploit. I’d say the defensive complacency that still creeps up in our team from time to time stems from that period. A couple universes over where he isn’t diagnosed, I still think that season ends relatively the same way. This was the season it became clear Puyi’s days were numbered.

That season was very chaotic and somber. No team can win in that sort of environment and that’s why I relished our semi-final victory over Bayern a few seasons later. They showed absolutely no class in their victory, were fucking asses about it the entire time (particularly Neuer and Muller) despite the circumstances being a severe handicap. We got our revenge tho, Boateng was never the same :lol:

Morten

Its actually stupid how that Barca team got 100 points, i mean, you got trashed in pretty much every big game that season, yet somehow were invincible vs most LL teams.

Home of Barca Fans