Pep Guardiola

serghei

Its a knock on Pep if he can only play a possesion based style.
Xavi also preaches this stick to the philosophy mentality.
Imo, its wrong, you should turn your team into the best weapon it can be. Be that counter attacking, possession, a mix, park the bus etc.
If you want to stick to a certain philosophy you often need to change the whole team up.

Of course he can play on the counter. Problem is he does not want to do so.

Sticking to a philosophy is the right way if you stay for long inside a single club. Not when you move after 3 seasons.

Last edited:

ini4ever

I am sure he will transform City into a even more fierce rival for all of us in the future. I hope one day he will return to us when he is done with coaching.
i agree, he will give mancity more prestige, higher reputation, like what mou did with chelsea.
mancity currently hasn't got any specific philosophy ( at least tactical ) , exactly the best place where pep can find to bring his idea more freely

barcanuck

Really wondering who he keeps from this current under achieving team...

Hart, I guess you keep him but going from Neuer to Hart is a tragic drop.

The whole defence is sheit but Kompany should be kept and might have a revival under Pep. Otamendi should be his CB but who knows. Out of the rest maybe Zabaleta sticks around to be a backup.

Midfield should pick it self with Silva, Yaya and De Bruyne.

Striker/Wingers - Aguero and Sterling will be the staples with Jesus Navas a backup.

Hart
XXX - Kompany - Otamendi - XXX
Silva - Yaya - De Bruyne
Sterling - Aguero - XXX

Got a few holes to plug. Will be interesting transfer season for Pep that's for sure.

serghei

Yea, I think their fullbacks are nothing special. Sagna is pretty old, and not that great either, Zabaleta was always overrated imho, Clichy is average and Kolarov the same. Fullbacks are very important in Pep's system. So that will be his no1 problem.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Guy is taking over the richest club in the world that dominated last years of epl and some people here are talking as if he's about to manage Burnley.

JamDav1982

Really wondering who he keeps from this current under achieving team...

Hart, I guess you keep him but going from Neuer to Hart is a tragic drop.

The whole defence is sheit but Kompany should be kept and might have a revival under Pep. Otamendi should be his CB but who knows. Out of the rest maybe Zabaleta sticks around to be a backup.

Midfield should pick it self with Silva, Yaya and De Bruyne.

Striker/Wingers - Aguero and Sterling will be the staples with Jesus Navas a backup.

Hart
XXX - Kompany - Otamendi - XXX
Silva - Yaya - De Bruyne
Sterling - Aguero - XXX

Got a few holes to plug. Will be interesting transfer season for Pep that's for sure.

No way would Pep pick a midfield of Toure, Silva and De Bruyne.

Debruyne will be on the wing if Silva plays.

Toure doesn't defend enough these days but he may keep him as knows system.

Would guess Pep would look for a couple of full backs and at least one CM.

barcanuck

Guy is taking over the richest club in the world that dominated last years of epl and some people here are talking as if he's about to manage Burnley.

It's not Burnley but going from Alves to Lahm is even steven then to Sagna. Or from prime Valdes to Neuer to Hart. It's just fun to at least see some big drops offs like that :)

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Yea, I think their fullbacks are nothing special. Sagna is pretty old, and not that great either, Zabaleta was always overrated imho, Clichy is average and Kolarov the same. Fullbacks are very important in Pep's system. So that will be his no1 problem.
That's why I reckon Gaya is going to be one of his first signings, similar to Bernat. So he already got that LB position covered. Zabaleta isn't too bad, but he's getting old. There's no really that many promising RB's around, but you never know what a phone call from Pep to Bellerin could do. He can probably be tempted pretty easily.
Pep is going to love Agüero and Silva, though. Those are the type of players he loves and there's not many of them at Bayern.

JamDav1982

It's not Burnley but going from Alves to Lahm is even steven then to Sagna. Or from prime Valdes to Neuer to Hart. It's just fun to at least see some big drops offs like that :)

I doubt Sagna gets near the team if Pep arrives.

Joe Hart is a good keeper and they have a lot of good attacking players.

The point is he wants to move to EPL and has chosen the best squad to go to. Couple good full backs and it's the best by a long way.

JamDav1982

That's why I reckon Gaya is going to be one of his first signings, similar to Bernat. So he already got that LB position covered. Zabaleta isn't too bad, but he's getting old. There's no really that many promising RB's around, but you never know what a phone call from Pep to Bellerin could do. He can probably be tempted pretty easily.
Pep is going to love Agüero and Silva, though. Those are the type of players he loves and there's not many of them at Bayern.

Agree with Gaya but Bellerin not near good enough on ball or defensively for Pep to move for him.

serghei

Problem is that there is less quality at City than at Bayern and Barca.

Barca > Bayern > City as far as the value of the players is involved. Money won't get you better players than Bayern or Barca, that's for sure. So what if City has lots of money? It's not like they will buy Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Modric, James Rodriguez, Muller, Neuer, Verratti etc. with those money. They will overpay for whatever player they buy. They will buy more or less raw talent at astronomical prices. They won't be able to sign super-world class players.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Problem is that he is losing more quality as he moves.

Barca > Bayern > City as far as the value of the players is involved. Money won't get you better players than Bayern or Barca, that's for sure. So what if City has lots of money. It's not like the will buy Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Modric, James Rodriguez, Muller, Neuer, Verratti etc. with those money. They will overpay for whatever player they buy.

Barca, Real and Bayerm have better squads.... He won't be at any of the three next season though so useless comparing those squads to City.

Compare the squads he can go to and its City/Psg best of rest.

serghei

Barca, Real and Bayerm have better squads.... He won't be at any of the three next season though so useless comparing those squads to City.

Compare the squads he can go to and its City/Psg best of rest.

Pretty much, yes. And that's because the way he wants to play is characteristic for a big team. His idea of football cannot succeed without having incredible players. Does City have what it takes to play Pep's football and win in Europe? Very much doubt it. Money doesn't help very much if most world class players play for great teams already. It's not like City can buy from Barca/Real/Bayern/PSG is it? What players could City buy to match said teams? There aren't many options. Maybe a Pogba, maybe a Reus, maybe Rodriguez from Wolfsburg.

And it's not irrelevant to compare City with Barca/Bayern/Real, because the big stake for Pep is going deep in CL with City, maybe even winning it. Those kind of teams are his competition.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Pretty much, yes. And that's because the way he wants to play is characteristic for a big team. His idea of football cannot succeed without having incredible players. Does City have what it takes to play Pep's football and win in Europe? Very much doubt it. Money doesn't help very much if most world class players play for great teams already. It's not like City can buy from Barca/Real/Bayern/PSG is it? What players could City buy to match said teams? There aren't many options. Maybe a Pogba, maybe a Reus, maybe Rodriguez from Wolfsburg.

And it's not irrelevant to compare City with Barca/Bayern/Real, because the big stake for Pep is going deep in CL with City, maybe even winning it. Those kind of teams are his competition.

Different debate.

People are discussing the quality of squad at City as to what is available to him to take over not the standard of players that City need to win the CL.

So if discussing what team he will take over and the strength of this options then it is irrelevant to mention Baca, Real or Bayern.

City are the best squad he can choose from in league he wants to be in. Whether or not he can win the CL is another issue but I believe with 3/4 signings they could go close and be 4th best squad in Europe.

NotInHere

Pep clearly wants to be the coach known as the one to end barcas harmony.. I mean think about it there's no other reason why he is bouncing from team to team and not barca

I get that he wants to be his own man and not have to share the spotlight with iniesta and messi once again, so that makes him an enemy in my eyes, again this is just assuming on my part, but that's what I think

Home of Barca Fans