Pep Guardiola

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It's really more about how Pep hasn't engaged the media or engaged with the politics of the club, this is not new for Guardiola even when it concerns Barcelona...I'm pretty impressed with the level of bitterness in the German media, the Bavarian club have a level of arrogance that would make even the blancos blush - to reject them is hard to swallow as evidenced by the reactions

This. I felt everybody was begging him to stay and after he made his decision be known, they felt hurt that he would leave a club like Bayern when they thought everything was going for them. And then you have ex-Bayern experts coming out saying yeah, he is not that great after all and Ancelotti is better.

This. I felt everybody was begging him to stay and after he made his decision be known, they felt hurt that he would leave a club like Bayern when they thought everything was going for them. And then you have ex-Bayern experts coming out saying yeah, he is not that great after all and Ancelotti is better.

You mix everything together. The club, the media etc.

The club is quiet. Holidays. They did their business. Guardiola is quiet.

It is the media. And one aspect of it is that they fire back on Guardiola because the are butthurt that he did not give them anything personally. There is some egos like e.g. the leading writers or editor from Kicker who are used special treatment... - and as they did not get anything...

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
You mix everything together. The club, the media etc.

The club is quiet. Holidays. They did their business. Guardiola is quiet.

It is the media. And one aspect of it is that they fire back on Guardiola because the are butthurt that he did not give them anything personally. There is some egos like e.g. the leading writers or editor from Kicker who are used special treatment... - and as they did not get anything...

Yeah, Bayern the club has not said anything but I have read quite a few experts like Hitzfeld saying stuff.

Stric

Guardiola's Bayern has played some of the most tantalizing football, ever. I can't see a single reason why guardiola was mistaken to go there. I mean, there is one, lack of CL, but that's a moot point imo.

I think for some people it's more about those few embarrassing CL losses than it is about not actually wining the CL. But I agree, his time at Bayern was successful. People underestimate how difficult it is to win the CL and how many factors influence the outcome. Just because Bayern has a fantastic squad and a great coach doesn't mean they should or will automatically win the CL.

Yeah, Bayern the club has not said anything but I have read quite a few experts like Hitzfeld saying stuff.

You mean the ex-coach of the Swiss, Dortmund, Bayern - the Sky pundit etc. He does not have to do anything with Bayern. I doubt he even has inner information to anything. We as Bayern fans think the talks a lot bullocks but he has to give an interview every week...

serghei

Guardiola's Bayern has played some of the most tantalizing football, ever. I can't see a single reason why guardiola was mistaken to go there. I mean, there is one, lack of CL, but that's a moot point imo.

Yea, totally. Against Hamburg, Darmstadt and such.

And I'm not sure Bayern's fans appreciate the fact that their team has basically become some sort of a chaper peak Barca replica. A Bayern that plays (sort of) like Barca, but lost like Barca never did under Pep.

His legacy at Bayern so far, is nothing special.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

What must irk the Bayern fans is that they won the CL and treble as the best counter attacking team in the world.

They could play possession football but were deadly on the counter.

Since then they have become almost a pure possession side who have become easier for top top teams to play against and break on.

To make matters worse the teams winning the CL in Real/Barca have done it in large part to being best counter attacking teams when they need to be OR possession when called for.

Of course they can win it this year but Pep seems to have a stubbornness that he won't change his style in face of criticism. If that stubbornness leads to a third year without CL then it's on him and deserves to be criticised for it.

serghei

Since then they have become almost a pure possession side who have become easier for top top teams to play against and break on.

Problem is Bayern aren't good enough to play like Barca did, except in the games vs inferior opposition. And that's the difference. Pep espects the same results with lesser players. He plays the same way if he has Alves on the right, or Rafinha. If he has Xavi in midfield, or Thiago. Messi, or Muller. Bayern has a great team, but if we compare it to the team Pep had at Barcelona, it's just not as good, and therefore, not capable of winning in the same fashion which was typical for Pep's Barcelona team.

This Bayern does look like Pep's Barca against smaller teams, at home especially, but not against bigger guns, because the players he has in Munich, while great, do not allow him to control games like his Barcelona did. You can't find better passers and dribblers than Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Alves etc. on their positions. Not in Munich and not anywhere else on this planet for that matter.

You switch Messi with Goetze or some other player, Xavi with Thiago, Alves with Rafinha, Busquets with Xabi Alonso and such, you're gonna have a worse team. Simple. Pep needs to learn the players make the difference as well, more than the manager in most cases. The players he had at Bayern couldn't play the Barca game like prime Barca players did. It's just like expecting some X-Factor contestant to sing a Whitney Houston song as good as Whitney herself. It's just not possible. Both him and Bayern's bosses should have known such a simple fact. But Bayern were probably infatuated with the way Barca played under Guardiola, that's why they moved for Pep.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Its a knock on Pep if he can only play a possesion based style.
Xavi also preaches this stick to the philosophy mentality.
Imo, its wrong, you should turn your team into the best weapon it can be. Be that counter attacking, possession, a mix, park the bus etc.
If you want to stick to a certain philosophy you often need to change the whole team up.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
You mean the ex-coach of the Swiss, Dortmund, Bayern - the Sky pundit etc. He does not have to do anything with Bayern. I doubt he even has inner information to anything. We as Bayern fans think the talks a lot bullocks but he has to give an interview every week...

The coach who has coached more Bayern Munich games than any other...He was an absolute crap coach for Suisse, incidentally

The larger point is that it is a reflection of the German reaction to a Catalan coach rejecting the big bad Bavarian club...Been remarkable really

Home of Barca Fans