FC Barcelona Tactics

ceco322

For me best tactic is 3-1-4-2, like Van Gaal with Netherlands and Man. Unt., Mazzari with Inter, Marcelo Bielsa with Olympic Marsille, Antonio Conte also used in Juve and Italy and Nuno Santo with Valencia ;)

Leo_Messi

I don't understand why Lucho has not tried a similar formation like the one he used against PSG at the Camp Nou more often given the fact that both Xavi and Iniesta are ghosts of their former selves. Let alone Alves.

--------Neymar-----Suárez-----------

-----------------Messi-----------------

-----------------Rakitic----------------

Alba---Mascherano/Busquets---Pedro

--------Mathieu-Piqué-Bartra-----------

-------------ter Stegen-------------------

How hard can it be? I know that he is tactically inept but come on? He has a whole technical staff to guide him if necessary yet he prefers to remain as stubborn as a mule.

With that formation you would have pace, defensive strength yet a very powerful attack. A lot of options to change your formation during the game depending on the result as well.

Last edited:

pacp_96

Chief Of Footballing Matters
I don't understand why Lucho has not tried a similar formation like the one he used against PSG at the Camp Nou more often given the fact that both Xavi and Iniesta are ghosts of their former selves. Let alone Alves.

--------Neymar-----Suárez-----------

-----------------Messi-----------------

-----------------Rakitic----------------

Alba---Mascherano/Busquets---Pedro

--------Mathieu-Piqué-Bartra-----------

-------------ter Stegen-------------------

How hard can it be? I know that he is tactically inept but come on? He has a whole technical staff to guide him if necessary yet he prefers to remain as stubborn as a mule.

With that formation you would have pace, defensive strength yet a very powerful attack. A lot of options to change your formation during the game depending on the result as well.

Quite like that actually. Only problem with it is the lack of width so it is still very dependant on the wide players. Other than that it looks good.

Leo_Messi

Quite like that actually. Only problem with it is the lack of width so it is still very dependant on the wide players. Other than that it looks good.

Alba and Pedro are the solution for that. Alba is our best attacking full-back. In my formation he would start. Pedro is better at creating wide than Alves nowadays too. Let alone more dangerous and quicker.

The best thing with that formation is that you use the strengths of the squad in the best way while limit your weaknesses (a Xavi and Iniesta way past their primes who offer close to nothing defensively) and obviously Alves.

The formation also offers a lot of varieties depending on how the game unfolds.

I see no other solutions with the current squad. The midfield trio of Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta should not be repeated against quality opposition again.

Unfortunately my formation is not going to be implemented.

ManusXavi

2016/17 - What I would do
Strongest Line up would be ~MSN~~Rakitic~Busi~Roberto~~Rightback (undecided, not alves)~Pique~Centreback (maybe not Masche)~ Alba~~Ter Stegan

Bravo rotate with Ter Stegan
Combo >> Iniesta with Samper - When ever Iniesta enters the field, Samper enters the field >> Iniesta,Samper,Busi or Iniesta Samper Rakitic or Iniesta Samper, Roberto
Combo >> New Forward (NF) with Munir - When ever Munir enters the field, New Forward enters the field. 'Neymar Munir NF' or 'Suarez Munir NF or 'Messi munir NF.
Same again in some fashion for the defenders.
Just like I have talked about. Making some combo pairs with the subs is what is best for team chemistry.
Don't start trembling when two players from MSN come off at the same time to be replaced by 2 sub forwards because football isn't won by individuals.
Football is a team sport and the more that our subs combine in pairs, the easier it will be to integrate different line-ups each match to keep each individual of the whole squad fresh.
I'm happy to explain myself deeper when I get home from the rugby in a few hours

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
2016/17 - What I would do
Strongest Line up would be ~MSN~~Rakitic~Busi~Roberto~~Rightback (undecided, not alves)~Pique~Centreback (maybe not Masche)~ Alba~~Ter Stegan

Bravo rotate with Ter Stegan
Combo >> Iniesta with Samper - When ever Iniesta enters the field, Samper enters the field >> Iniesta,Samper,Busi or Iniesta Samper Rakitic or Iniesta Samper, Roberto
Combo >> New Forward (NF) with Munir - When ever Munir enters the field, New Forward enters the field. 'Neymar Munir NF' or 'Suarez Munir NF or 'Messi munir NF.
Same again in some fashion for the defenders.
Just like I have talked about. Making some combo pairs with the subs is what is best for team chemistry.
Don't start trembling when two players from MSN come off at the same time to be replaced by 2 sub forwards because football isn't won by individuals.
Football is a team sport and the more that our subs combine in pairs, the easier it will be to integrate different line-ups each match to keep each individual of the whole squad fresh.
I'm happy to explain myself deeper when I get home from the rugby in a few hours

Please do because Mascherano has been great for us. Iniesta was solid as ever too.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
While your team chemistry theory with subs makes sense I am not a fan of Samper. Can't see Iniesta and Samper playing together as the former slowly losing his pace and latter is slow to begin with.
Didn't coaches talk about him being loaned out?

ManusXavi

While your team chemistry theory with subs makes sense I am not a fan of Samper. Can't see Iniesta and Samper playing together as the former slowly losing his pace and latter is slow to begin with.

I don't see my theory being implemented full stop unfortunately :lol:
I would say Samper is no slower than Busquets. . . but yes still a slow combo

i_bleed_blaugrana

[formation=barca,6]
ter Stegen
0-0-0-Piqué-0-0-0
0-Mascherano-0-0-0-Umtiti-0
0-0-Rakitic-0-Busi-0-0
Vidal-0-0-0-0-0-Alba
0-Messi-0-0-0-Neymar-0
0-0-0-Suarez-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

We need a tactical facelift with Dani gone now. A lot of teams utilized back 3 systems with a lot of success in the Euros this tournament and I'd really like to see how teams could handle something like this.

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
What is wrong with our current formation?

Only concern for me is there is no proper replacement for the role Rakitic plays in the game for us. None of the current midfielders we have fit the bill. I thought Arda could do the job but he is too slow and doesn't show the energy needed for that role. Plus his positioning is all wrong.

i_bleed_blaugrana

What is wrong with our current formation?

Only concern for me is there is no proper replacement for the role Rakitic plays in the game for us. None of the current midfielders we have fit the bill. I thought Arda could do the job but he is too slow and doesn't show the energy needed for that role. Plus his positioning is all wrong.

Spain vs Italy showed us the dangers of dogmatically sticking to a 4-3-3 regardless of whom we play. I just want us be able to play more than one formation effectively. It's precisely what Germany and Löw's team does so well, finding tactical answers to the team's we face. This would be really good against really defensive teams and in particular, Pathetico.

Also, I'm skeptical of Vidal's ability in both sides of the field. To be fair, he didn't play enough last season for us to get a consistent look at him in that role and from what I saw, I liked what he had to offer in the offensive final third but in the defensive final third, I wasn't convinced. He's not the greatest positionally in that aspect and he's not as strong of a tackler as Dani was.

You guys will see how invaluable he was to that aggressive 4-3-3 there when it doesn't look right this season. Dani was a much better defender than people gave him credit for, really good at making strong, clean tackles on the fly and while he definitely had dips in form, he really showed his class his last two seasons here. He really stepped up under Lucho and him and Pique had a renaissance under Unzué's defensive work with the team.

So rather than be in an already on paper half-broken system next season, this sort of formation would be intriguing for defensive teams to deal with and it puts less defensive pressure on the wing backs to allow them to play higher up the pitch with less risk.

Honestly though, perhaps a return to Guardiola's first 4-3-3 wouldn't be bad with Umtiti in the squad now. Something like this:

[formation=barca,6]
ter Stegen
0-0-Piqué-0-Mascherano-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-Umtiti
Vidal-0-0-Busi-0-0-0
0-0-Raki/Rafinha-0-Iniesta/Denis Suarez-0-0
Messi-0-0-0-0-0-Neymar
0-0-0-Luis Suarez-0-0-0
0-0-0-0-0-0-0
[/formation]

The idea of Vidal and Alba both bombing forward in our current setup just seems to risky now to me. It's either a tactical change or we sign a proper RB like Fabinho or Cancelo. Sorry, but Roberto should not be reasonably considered long term at RB.

yahudi

Spain vs Italy showed us the dangers of dogmatically sticking to a 4-3-3 regardless of whom we play. I just want us be able to play more than one formation effectively. It's precisely what Germany and Löw's team does so well, finding tactical answers to the team's we face. This would be really good against really defensive teams and in particular, Pathetico.

In theory, 4-3-3 is the second best (after 3-4-3) formation to counter the Italian approach. Spain lost that game mainly due to 2 problems:
1) Cesc instead of Koke lead to a rather slow midfield that struggled to keep up with Italian midfield runs. VdB took a gamble hoping for Cesc's through balls and it backfired spectacularly
2) Taking out Nolito (and keeping Silva) meant that there was no overloading on the wings. The main tool to pick a 3-5 structure apart is to attack the wings with 2 people, dragging at least one central defender out of shape. The introduction of Vazquez was the right move negated by Aduriz' injury.

And I really don't get the praise for Löw's game vs Italy. If anything, Löw had stiffled his own team by mirroring the Italian formation and dragging the game into penalties. Unlike Italy, Germany does not have any strong wingbacks to offest the congestion of the center. Löw was incredibly lucky to get bailed out by Zaza's and Pelle's stupidity.

Also, I'm skeptical of Vidal's ability in both sides of the field. To be fair, he didn't play enough last season for us to get a consistent look at him in that role and from what I saw, I liked what he had to offer in the offensive final third but in the defensive final third, I wasn't convinced. He's not the greatest positionally in that aspect and he's not as strong of a tackler as Dani was.

You guys will see how invaluable he was to that aggressive 4-3-3 there when it doesn't look right this season. Dani was a much better defender than people gave him credit for, really good at making strong, clean tackles on the fly and while he definitely had dips in form, he really showed his class his last two seasons here. He really stepped up under Lucho and him and Pique had a renaissance under Unzué's defensive work with the team.

Being compared to the best wing-back since Cafu and the best RB in the entire FCB history is hardly a fair comparison. There will be definitely a downgrade on the right side of the pitch, no matter who plays there. But I can see where Lucho tried to go with Vidal as an RB and there aren't any available RBs to provide the same balance between defense and offense. Neither Fabinho nor Cancelo looked like they could replace Dani.

The idea of Vidal and Alba both bombing forward in our current setup just seems to risky now to me. It's either a tactical change or we sign a proper RB like Fabinho or Cancelo. Sorry, but Roberto should not be reasonably considered long term at RB.

I can see where you're coming from but I still disagree. Even Abidal wasn't the Abidal everybody loves until ~2010 and I'd expect any defense-minded FB to have similar struggles, but this time in a less patient environment.

ManusXavi

Why do we always play in the final quarter when we have possession. Why not play in the centre of the field? That would give more opportunity for through balls and less danger from counter attacks

Home of Barca Fans