FC Barcelona Tactics

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
Come on Gio is def a Barca fan as well as madird (somehow)

it even says so on his facebook! :)

Lemmi

The Reckoner
One thing I forgot to bring up, why the fucking fuck did we not have men on the posts at corners against Almeria? That is the one stupidest thing any manager can ever impose. In fact the only other person who employs it is Rafa the fat waiter. It is such a fucking bad idea that really gets to me because it just means there are more defenders to get in each others way and you have no protection. If this continues we will suffer big time.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
vs Valencia -- 14 Mar 2010

----------------- VV
-- WMD -- Pique ----- Miltio -- Coffee
--------------- Busquets
----- Xavi ---------------- Iniesta
---------------- Messi
--- Pedro -------------------- Bojan

so that's a 4-1-2-1-2 with Leo in a free role, Xavi and Iniesta allowed free role insofar as they needed to build up play. I'd say it was a 4-3-3, but Leo was in a very deep position. Valencia really didn't care much for Bojan and there were only two half-chances. the big change came in the 2nd half with the introduction of Thierry. the few weeks that Pep stashed him on the bench must have done wonders for his sense of attitude and desire because he completely opened up the Valencia defense with some wonderful passing.

As Gio posted, this adaptation from the 4-3-3 to a 4-1-3-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 or whatever you want to call it seems to work when Thierry is on the pitch. FCB played a much better game vs Stuttgart when Thierry came on to the pitch. And if we've had to struggle over the past few weeks for Theirry to sit on the bench and regain his sense of urgency then it was a few weeks well spent. With his performance today, I would be absolutely shocked if Thierry did not start on Wednesday.

Once again, there was not much coming from our left side. Every time Maxwell - Iniesta - Bojan came forward the result was a missed pass or the ball being cycled back towards Xavi - Leo - Pedro - WMD. Even after Thierry came on, the left was not very pointed in attack. I'd be interested to see, with Thierry in the front three if that would change. Meta made the point in chat that Iniesta has been off since Jan, and this of course, has been a factor in our decline in play. Could it be that the tactical change, along with Thierry's absence, has thrown Iniesta off of his game?

those are my initial thoughts.

J

jake

today's formation in the second half was more like this

-------------VV---------------

alves---pique---milito---maxwell

--------xavi----busquets------

pedro------messi--------iniesta

-----------henry--------------

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
Well Thierry was most def the striker of the formation, but he was off to the left, not on the wing, but I saw Pedro and Thierry level @ the offside line many times as Xavi setup the offense, with Leo and Andres further back. Either way its semantics. with motivated-Thierry the new formation that Pep has been trying is much much more effective.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
missed the game today because of stupid work and can't watch a repeat because of stupid Rogers ... I noticed Pep had a front line of Leo - Thierry - Pedro ... was it a 4-2-3-1? How did it change when Ibrah came on. I wont be able to watch the game until it finishes dlling.

V

Valon

What Gneg said but it was mostly 4-2-3-1 with Yaya and Busqi on the midfield bossin' it hardcore.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
This 4-2-3-1 thingy is nifty as long as:

-The 2 is a Yaya, Biscuits double pivot. It's ballin', and it's not too defensive as both players are quality distributors and enable the 4 in front of them to raise hell. Especially if Yaya plays like he did today, excellent playmaking from the big fella.

-The 3 will always include both Iniesta and Messi for obvious reasons; Pedro is a nice touch as the 3rd because he adds pace and hard work without ball dominance. P-Rod has a similar role to Silva on Spain; in fact he's like a better finishing and slightly worse at everything else version of his Canary homeboy.

-I wouldn't mind seeing Ibra in the 3 however, I think he can have a role similar to Ronaldinho, obviously not as good but think Ronnie in the early stages of his decline.

-Up front Titi has found some rhythm. If Pep insists on sticking with this formation we'd need a long term solution up there but as long as Henry can keep up his Eto'o imitation it will leave things open for Messi to do his thing.

The double pivot also allows us to play with two wingbacks, at least as long as the Pique-Puyol D is used, or if Marquez magically wakes up.

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
Ya know i think Pep realized we were to predictable, and that teams were learning how to play against us so he changed things up... it took a whole year (2008/09) for teams to figure out how to play us, so hopefully these new formations will have teams scratching their heads again

also i think Pep knows Messi needs to receive the ball not just out wide on the left wing.. letting him roam also makes it nearly impossible to man mark him which i would like to see how all this works against an english team in which leo is traditionally double marked out of the game for the most part

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
I just had a chance to finally watch the match. I won't repeat what was said in previous posts, but what I will write are two observations:

1. In the last five minutes of the first half Stuttgart started to take a high defensive pressure approach and it created their best five minute spell of the match. Which makes me wonder if the success of the 4-2-3-1 can be undermined by the same tactics Chelsea used vs FCB throughout the previous decade.

2. The Left Side: there were times when there was no one standing on the left side of FCB's attack. Everything came from the right, which makes me wonder if another club could employ a pacy LF/LW that would force Dani to stay at home then would FCB be able to generate chances from the left or the middle.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
on your second point irv with abidal back we generally play a 3 man defense and alves pushes up no matter which winger he is facing as the back 3 also get support from the DM, but until he returns that is a concern

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
Barcelona & the Spanish Art of War: the Siege

Written by: Elliott

So I realized that in my two years of blogging, I have made a huge mistake – I have somehow avoided the trite comparisons of sport/war and sport/chess. Well, I did touch on weapons in an ages old MLS power ranking, but this simile, like a virgin forest in Alaska, is ripe for a plundering. I also have seen some eery similarities between ancient military tactics and the current state of La Liga. I promise this is not just a rehash of my Argentina piece at Run of Play, but that is a nice intro.

Thus, I present Part I in a series that probably will only be one part. My topic? The Siege. My subject? The Dreaded Catalonian Legions.

Ah, the siege. For millenia, small towns with tall walls feared this most terrifying of tactics, the dread equal parts psychological and practical. The siege, like a strangulating hand, brings into sharp focus the degree to which our existence depends on external resources. Oxygen. Food. Water. As the time ticks, our need grows. And therein lies the secret to the successful siege: patience.

The Catalonian siege shares eery similarities to the devastating Roman sieges of lore. Barcelona usually targets smaller coastal communities such as Valencia and Coruna and deprives them of one simple resource: the ball. That is to say, the Cules whip circles on the pitch with first touch passes, playing the circular object to any plot of grass where the opposition is not.

The opponents have two choices – run themselves into oblivion, or retreat even further. The Catalonian clock is not your typical wristwatch. There is no minute hand or flashing numbers. If the Catalonian clock was a stopwatch, it would be frozen. That’s because for the bloodthirsty yet calculating Catalonians, there are but two times – the moment you capitulate, and the moments leading up to that event.

In last season’s Champions League semifinals, a motley crew of Anglo Saxons and Africans engaged the Cules in a staring contest. For 180 minutes, neither side blinked. Then, in a half second of uncertainty, Admiral Iniesta stuck a dagger deep into the Londoner’s hearts. The thrust was neither powerful nor clandestine – rather, it was unflinching. Iniesta acted with neither hesitation nor remorse.

Of course, the siege is not simply a question of pitching tints and waiting for sunset. The Romans deployed towers and armed stations within reach of the tiny town’s walls. Why, you ask, would they send their supplies and soldiers into harm’s way? From a military standpoint, that terrain’s location has incalculable value. From a psychological standpoint, the daily visual reminder of your waiting captor can provoke either anger or insanity, but never apathy. Barcelona’s looming and somewhat mobile Swedish outpost has found similar results.

The tower, the encampment, the catapults, all these tools play a part. But who holds in check the bloodthirsty mercenaries? Who can strike fear into the battle hungry Admiral Iniesta? None other than the cold and calculating General Xavi. If one watches Barcelona play, all forward and backward movement begins and ends with Xavi. Like Napoleon before him, his short stature only serves to contrast his dominating presence and sheer force of will.

Like all great generals, Xavi’s actions and decisions are orchestrated out well in advance. He also constantly snacks on an apple and is dismissive of his underlings’ suggestions. In the picture above, Admiral Iniesta absolutely begged Xavi to take this free kick quickly – “My lord, the townsfolk walk about like skeletons from the lack of nourishment, if we invade we will crush their bones under our heels.”

General Xavi, though, between bites of his delicious apple, rolls his eyes and coughs gently. “I too sense a nervousness in the air, Admiral, but it is your own. We shall wait until the locals turn to the flesh of their dead for nourishment, and then, and only then… will we take a shot on goal.”
---------------------------

amazing article.

http://futfanatico.com/2010/03/17/barcelona-the-spanish-art-of-war-the-siege/

Home of Barca Fans