FC Barcelona Tactics

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
v Osasuna

Barca coach Pep Guardiola, meanwhile, admitted he had made a mistake with his tactics at the start of the game as he tried to experiment with a new idea.

"I wanted to try out something, I wanted more mobility from the front two, and it didn't go well," he said. "We didn't have the fluidity that I thought we could have.

"We played very badly in the first half, but in the second we corrected the problems and were ourselves again."
------------------------
=========================

just wanted to post this to start some discussion about what Pep was actually aiming for. Will break down my thoughts on this when I get home from work.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Hm.. I can't see what he meant in wanting more mobility and trying something new as it was same old 4-3-3, with same faces and I noticed less pace than in our CL home match vs. Stuttgart. And we didn't look much better in 2nd half. Only with Keita and Pedro in we gained more pace and directness.
Maybe he was referring that Henry starting ahead of Pedro was a mistake.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
I think that is what he was referring to, B ... there were times when Thierry and Ibrah were literally in each other's way. I think that just might be up to lack of playing time together. Thierry has already had to adjust his game to play w/ Samuel, now he has to adjust his game to play w/ Ibrah.

that aside, we looked lost without Xavi, and so did Iniesta. Although, Iniesta was much much better in the 2nd half with the intro of Pedro.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Don't know where to post this, but I think this thread should do it.

Anybody else thinks it's strange we didn't start Bojan before Jeffren against Mallorca? OK, we don't really know what's going on during training and in what's going in Pep's head - but Bojan has already played with us 3 seasons - he's experienced and I rate him highly as a youngster. But Jeffren I don't rate at all and I was shocked when I saw him starting today.

My point with this post is that I think that Pep makes some strange selections and subs - I also think that he doesn't maximize Ibra's potential. We don't supply him with good passes - and I don't think that Ibra's positioning and runs are his own decisions. He does what Pep asks of him, but maybe Pep has made some miscalculations?

Another thing, our midfild that worked so well last season doesn't come up even close to the same standard. I know we've had some injuries that have unsettled the continuity and quality. But the decision to start Busquets over Yaya in the begining of the season still raises some questionmarks.

I think the rotations has been strange to. We have to start our best 11 and maybe rotate 1 maximum 2 players every now and than. But it's like he fields a completly new team every match? It's of course a good thing that Pep has confidence in his players and that he thinks they can do an equally good job - but it's just not the case. But he almost never rotates Messi, because he thinks he can experiment but Messi saves our asses if it doens't pay off - and we've been close many times this season. We almost never win any games comfortably like last season and we always seem to struggle. This season I'm doubtful if we're going to win untill we have a 2-3 goal lead.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Pep is obviously mixing 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 to throw opponents by surprise. Well done

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
yup ... which brings us to Tuesday's game ... I know it all depends on who plays tomorrow and for how long ... but what about this:

what about:

-- Alves -- Rafa -- Milito -- Maxwell
------ Toure --------- Sergi
-- Xavi ------ Messi ------ Pedro
-------------- Ibrah

Pep can then sub in Iniesta for Pedro/Xavi, Abidal for Maxwell when Walcott comes in, and Bojan for Ibrah

which could then revert to a 4-3-3 or keep the 4-2-3-1 form

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
ugh ... talk about a crazy day. finally have some time to sit down and type up my thoughts on Pep's tactics v Arsenal.

ok ... so he starts off the game with a classic 4-3-3 ... Alves -- Marquez -- Milito -- Abidal at the back ... Busquets in front of the back four and behind Xavi and Keita ... and finally Pedro and Leo up front with Bojan. With so many injuries it makes sense for Pep to revert to a 4-3-3 as it is the 'natural' formation that FCB has. The problem in the first leg was that as the team tired, Pep did not sub in fresh legs and add an extra layer to protect Maxwell, who was obviously tiring. With Abidal being forced to leave in the 53rd minute, Maxwell was introduced and this kept the formation. Maxwell however, was at least fresh and could better deal with Walcott. The introduction of Yaya Toure however, proved that Pep absolutely learned from his mistake last Wed. the formation changed to the 4-2-3-1 ... with Alves -- Marquez -- Milito -- Maxwell at the back ... Busquets and Toure as the double DMs ... some alignment of Xavi -- Keita -- Pedro and Leo up front as the lone forward. The introduction of Iniesta did not change the formation, but gave Andres some run-around time for the Clasico on the weekend.

The introduction of Toure was the perfect move. Even though Toure was visibly rusty, his presence meant that we would own the midfield and is the principal difference between playing defensive and playing 'Barça' defensive. Toure gave the midfield an extra player who would be able to hassle Arsenal off of the ball and most importantly, keep possession as he is a skilled passer (again, rusty).

As Pep has used the 4-2-3-1 system solidly throughout the season in both training and game situations, the players did not have to adapt their character to play in the formation, only their positioning.

now I'll try to preview the Clasico tomorrow, as Fri night will be quite busy for me ... if not I'll break it down on Sunday.

any thoughts on what I've written?

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
great anlysis irv, toure was the key sub in this match as he shut down arsenal along with busquets to kill the tie off after messi did his thing

regarding the clasico i am not sure how we should lineup but lets assume we will play with pique and puyol in the CB and maxwell on the left. i would like to go with a kieta-busquets-xavi mid with ineista lining up front with either bojan or ibra whomever is fit. gives us a little more muscle in the mid and some more help for maxwell against ronaldo or whomever he is put up against. ineista will allow us to retain possession and kieta can bomb forward to attack crosses. if ibra is healthy it will be a lot simplir as we need his strenght and muscle up front and bojan is a bit too weak.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
the introduction of toure gave maxwell the peace of mind to bombard the left hadn side with ease as toure tends to drop back in defence all the time..

thats why our 4-2-3-1 is really... 3-3-3-1 during attack

with

--------------valdes----------------

--------marquez-toure-milito---------

--alves----- busquets------maxwell--

-------xavi--------------------------

-----------------------keita---------

-pedro------------------------------

--------------messi-----------------

Last edited:

danny10257

i know this is hella off topic, but i just read EVERY SINGLE word in EVERY post of this thread and i have to say all this tactic stuff can be.... eh, fun. it is fun to learn new things because i certaintly did not know any of the tactics behind fcb's game.
and now that i know i can enjoy the game more by observing what they do in the actual game.

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
I had a small doubt which was cleared after watching Arsenal`s game !

Messi needs freedom to play and he gets his freedom throughout the middle-section of the field . I believe it`s time we play him more where he fits extremely well. Considering he plays deep down and help defense too , it would be a lot easier for him too , to play in a more central situation . He will get to flex his muscles .

And I believe 4-2-3-1 is all about diversifying the attack to every corner of the field. BARCA plays a football based on possession , accurate passing ( conventional , non-conventional {20 ft high} ) & also most importantly numerical superiority . Whenever there is a ball , run for it , run your ass off , surround the ball , bet it 2 or 3 players .That`s just it . These all factors fits with 4-2-3-1 very well and

bojan---------pedro
-------messi-----

will make things good . I have high hope . But Pedro and Bojan should work more , in the meantime if we can get Villa , it will be good to watch .

And we have Ibra on the other hand , so while Bojan & Pedro works their ass off or we get a better LW ( after doing goodbye Titi) , We can play 4-3-3 with Ibra in the middle , Messi in the right ( let him shift in between if needed ) and Pedro on the other hand .

This will be good as par me . Confusion for opponents as they won`t get a shit out of it on matchdays !! :D

Pep = One man`s lonely passion and dedication ... Viscaaa pep !!
:flagvl8:

7Skies

Really think we can sign David Villa?

I guess with Valencia being broke an all that....

Home of Barca Fans