FC Barcelona Tactics

DennyCrane

Initiating a question for discussion:

Don't you think that the classic 4-3-3 we play, never reaches its full potential because we lack wingers that can really take on their man on 1 versus 1?
Right now our winger, or wide forwards in the 4-3-3 are quite many (pedro, alexis, villa, tello, quenca when back, and before august we even had affelay also in the list), - not to mention misfortuned choices, like the crime of playing iniesta there... - (The most important winger for us is by far pedro and there is really no comparison between him and any other. It was a mistake from Pep to opt alexis over him in the last crucial games last season.
)
But, despite the great number, almost none of the above seems confident and competent on the 1 versus 1.. And it is really a handicap, cauz all the running with the ball comes only from the middle, from messi and iniesta when fit. Despite messi's greatness, the balance would be much more equally divided of we had two wingers that could make the dribble when receiving the ball wide and in this way cut open the defence.

Right now the only one that attempts to dribble is Tello, but his is not yet the level wanted, and his dribble is more an acceleration dribble (very much like Henry). He can be extremely useful, but not versus tight defenses when more accurate and small dribbles are needed. Then its pedro who really does not try it, except few times and then villa and alexis who just gain some meters with the ball and that's all (cuenca does the same, even though he has the best crossing out of all).
Ok. I am a bit disappointed with alexis, cauz when transferred i was expecting much more from him on that skill area, but i found out that he is really a shadow striker, not a winger. He enjoys playing centrally and waiting to time his run for a good through ball. His work rate is great, speed amazing, but yet again for someone who hangs out wide, seeing his uncomfortability receiving the ball there leaves me a bitter feeling..

The strange thing is that we lack those not only now, but since Pep took charge. Last season and with Zlatan 09-10, we had an extra huge problem: only one player able to hang wide and stretch the play. Not a coincidence that in 08-09 and 10-11, when we were applying properly wingers we got the CL. It seems that with Tito this is fixed forever (thank god).

What do you think?

That's a really difficult topic.

On the one hand, I can remember certain situations when beating the opponent 1 on 1 on the wing provided a necessary gap, gave the player space to cut into the box and make the deadly pass from there, e.g. when we played RM and Afellay beat Marcelo on the wing (okay, Marcelo slipped) and gave the deadly pass from there to Pedro iirc. That was the only occasion in that whole match when we had this opportunity and we could immediately take advantage.
Then I remember the CL-final 10/11, specifically the situation prior to the goal Villa scored. Messi beat the opponent on the wing (in a godlike manner I might add) which also provided space and ultimately led to a goal.

On the other hand, beating defenders 1 on 1 in the "normal" matches provides too much of a risk. With Barca always playing high up the pitch every failed attempt results in an immediate backlash. Therefore, the team mostly circumvents 1 on 1 situations by triangulation on the wing; so, often it's not really necessary to go into these situations.
We have a lot of players who could take on these situations, be it by pace or sheer skill, as you pointed out. But I think it's a tactical facet to avoid it and go for the "safe" solution of triangulation or backpasses to keep posession and built up from that again.

In a nutshell: One on ones', more accurate, the decision whether to take them or not should depend on the opponent we face.
And this is where Tito comes in: Tito, being more of an "opportunistic" coach than Pep already makes use of that to a certain extent, but it's, of course, still developable. It also requires our players to shift their style in an instant, which in itself is a matter of mental strength and football intelligence and will take months if not years to fully develop.

Garrus

I think alexis was bought for this exact reason, Look at this table from mid 2011:

2011%2f6%2fdribblersstas.png

He is certainly one of the best dribblers in Europe, But has been struggling with us, When he regains his confidence, I'm sure he'll solve our 1 on 1 situations :)

Leo10Messi

Pedro is a beast with the link up play in extremely tight spaces.

He will have a stellar season.

Big question is does he make the attacking Triumvirate?

Villa-Messi-Alexis

Villa-Messi-Pedro

Pedro-Messi-Alexis

Has to be Villa-Messi-Pedro. But currently, Iniesta seems to be playing in the place of Villa with Fabregas in further withdrawn role.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think we lack the sense of urgency we had in some previous seasons. Also, we seem to move the ball slower than before.
Possession game is what we're about but you have to wonder how is it that player like Dani Alves is our top assist man over last 5 years or how Cesc is so successful in assists and goals. Could it be because both matured as players outside Barcelona?
Also, notice how many times Pedro or Cesc make runs only for the ball never to reach them.

I think sometimes Barca should take more risks when moving the ball forward and definitely take less risks when passing in own half.

kollegah

i think we move the ball slower because xavi isnt as agile as 2-3 years before (but he is still world class)

nebeer

Love is All
Barca clearly are not working out anymore. Tactically we are totally found out by Mourinho, and now other managers will also accomplish the same. Tactically Barca are failing with every big team. Now it seems like we are in dire need of a new manager or at least an interim manager and need to revolutionize our football philosophy. Our defense has become a joke to any good and fast counter attacking side. Our attack is spearheaded by Messi, but he is all we have. Sanchez never clicked, Villa is not in form, Pedro is not a match winner. In defense, we look absolutely clueless. When we should play direct football, we frustratingly pass the ball backwards or keep passing sideways. In a nutshell, Barca needs to be reborn. The philosophy needs to evolve, we need a good manager, and need to rearrange the team.

mobster_1930

Philosophy needs to stay the same, formation 4-4-3 is Barca's and always will be. We just need to switch Messi back to supporting striker position, get a fine center forward (Villa WAS perfect for that) and good left winger (Tello would be alright). Get a proper CB, and that's it, really. Right now, everybody wants Barca to fail, everybody wants that Barcas fans doubt their own players, but it won't happen. We have a champions team, we just hit an obstacle.

In Rocky's words : "It ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done!"

Mitchell1978

Philosophy needs to stay the same, formation 4-4-3 is Barca's and always will be. We just need to switch Messi back to supporting striker position, get a fine center forward (Villa WAS perfect for that) and good left winger (Tello would be alright). Get a proper CB, and that's it, really. Right now, everybody wants Barca to fail, everybody wants that Barcas fans doubt their own players, but it won't happen. We have a champions team, we just hit an obstacle.

In Rocky's words : "It ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done!"

Good post, Barça needs to stay calm, learn from this, make some changes this summer but there's no need to change the philosophy, a playing-style that brought 19 trophies in 4 years, and earned admiration (and jealousy) troughout the (football)world. We desperately need an able healthy coach though.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Problems with our play were there few months ago, this is only a culmination. Unfortunately, I see Roura and many players blaming it on refs and bad luck.

Birdy

The problem is Roura right now.. Tough situation for the club with Tito's illness, i know all that of course..
But if we want to be pragmatists, we should see that Roura cannot coach this team. Since he took over we have played horrendously and won only insignificant games comfortably..

The suspicion was there for Tito also, who failed to win supercup, drawed against Madrid in October. I wanted to see his test versus milan and real.. Unfortunately roura took the test and he is going to take a final one versus milan return.
Really, there are minimal possibilities of going through with roura coaching this..

barcanuck

Against Milan I want some surprises. I would love to see Pedro benched and Alves on the right wing while Puyol goes into right back. Another move would be to put Busquets in the defense along side Pique and Song in the defensive mid. So here is my grand lineup for Milan:

Valdes

Puyol Pique Busquets Alba

Cesc Song Iniesta

Alves Messi Villa

Subs - Tello, Pedro, Thiago, Sanchez, Mascherano, Adriano.

Variations. Tello for Villa in second half, Adriano for Alba or Alves. Thiago for Cesc.

Last edited:

Ketoth

I'm not sure how you could put a few bad results down to the manager. They just happen to come with Roura in charge.

Arsenal have similar problems to Barcelona right now. Looking to get control of the ball against big teams whilst the opposition counters at fast pace, be it home or away. Football's all about speed these days.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Against Milan I want some surprises. I would love to see Pedro benched and Alves on the right wing while Puyol goes into right back. Another move would be to put Busquets in the defense along side Pique and Song in the defensive mid. So here is my grand lineup for Milan:

Valdes

Puyol Pique Busquets Alba

Cesc Song Iniesta

Alves Messi Villa

Subs - Tello, Pedro, Thiago, Sanchez, Mascherano, Adriano.

Variations. Tello for Villa in second half, Adriano for Alba or Alves. Thiago for Cesc.

Well they are doing something somewhat similar:

Barcelona will start the CL game against Milan next week with four forwards: Alves, Messi, Villa, and Alexis or Tello [sport]

cloned warrior

more than our attack our defense worries me! from watching the games it looks like we never give any kind of attention to any defensive detail! we get opened like a well oiled zipper! just so easy!
each time a team breaks its one on one situation! with we getting embarrassed all the time and then is the set piece situations! :angry:

Home of Barca Fans