FC Barcelona Tactics

mittchan82

It was a refreshing to see our guys being uppity in the first game. I think it was due to longer rest period that the guys had in a long time. Last year from the start the guys seemed more sluggish than other player in the league. But we'll see what happens and start judging during the winter transfer season.

X

xaviniesta

fantastic article up to the very end where he said that pedro is not a great football player. i think his football abc is one of the best in the world and that my friend simon kuper he did not pick up in la masia because he joined with them when he was 17 or 18.

Hatem Ben Arfa

Pedro is a beast with the link up play in extremely tight spaces.

He will have a stellar season.

Big question is does he make the attacking Triumvirate?

Villa-Messi-Alexis

Villa-Messi-Pedro

Pedro-Messi-Alexis

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
oh my old tactics section. how I have neglected thee.

ok some issues that I'm going to make a point to follow this season:

1. Tito's Tactics v Pep's Tactics: we all know and discussed Pep's "Grand Experiment" last season. I would love to see if Tito is going to stick to the 4-3-3 and just rotate or use the extra forwards/midfielders he has in order to provide some variance.

2. Directness: The team played much more "directly" in their first league match (as noted previously in this thread) and I wonder if that will continue throughout the year and more importantly, if it will be the case against parked buses.

3. The Double A's: Alves and Alba. First, will Alba (because we all know what Dani does for FCB) be able to bring balance to the Barça attack. Over the years the attack has been 80% right-side oriented and most of the time Iniesta and Villa will cut in to the middle. I'm excited to see what Jordi will bring. With respect to both FBs, how will Tito manage to cover their exploits. Will we see both Alves and Alba bombing forward at the same time? Will we see one go and the other stay back? Will we see a combination of both and if so, who will help Sergio cover the missed space? Or will we see Sergio drop back to form a 3-4-3? so many questions.

those are really the three big issues I'd like to keep track of. would love to hear if there are any other issues people would like to keep track of tactically.

JimmyGuitarist

I don't think they're being more direct at all. Tito was just as involved in how Barca played under Pep to a point. He was for the experimenting, & I wouldn't actually be suprised if he uses the 3-4-3 occasionally. In the match against Madrid, sometimes they were a back 3.

iOlumideK

When Barcelona were attacking against Real Socidead i noticed in part of the game we were basically play a 2-8 with everyone excepts the CB's pushing forward to attack

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
barcastuff ‏@barcastuff
Xavi: "Tactically, Tito has very clear ideas. He always wants to play 4-3-3. It's unlikely we'll play with 3 defenders." [rac1]
----------

for all you guys who didn't like the 3-4-3, music to your eyes.

Birdy

We will see if this is true. It is a fact that 3-4-3 was dangerous for crucial games, just like versus madrid last year (1-2). But versus all the defensive minor spanish sides, it was effective, at least at Nou Camp.

Tito has corrected so far the biggest mistake of Pep. He has never played iniesta on the wing to accomondate fabregas.
Fabregas must learn to play 4-3-3 and pass & move like Xavi, iniesta. If he cannot do that, he will be of limited use..

Birdy

Initiating a question for discussion:

Don't you think that the classic 4-3-3 we play, never reaches its full potential because we lack wingers that can really take on their man on 1 versus 1?
Right now our winger, or wide forwards in the 4-3-3 are quite many (pedro, alexis, villa, tello, quenca when back, and before august we even had affelay also in the list), - not to mention misfortuned choices, like the crime of playing iniesta there... - (The most important winger for us is by far pedro and there is really no comparison between him and any other. It was a mistake from Pep to opt alexis over him in the last crucial games last season.
)
But, despite the great number, almost none of the above seems confident and competent on the 1 versus 1.. And it is really a handicap, cauz all the running with the ball comes only from the middle, from messi and iniesta when fit. Despite messi's greatness, the balance would be much more equally divided of we had two wingers that could make the dribble when receiving the ball wide and in this way cut open the defence.

Right now the only one that attempts to dribble is Tello, but his is not yet the level wanted, and his dribble is more an acceleration dribble (very much like Henry). He can be extremely useful, but not versus tight defenses when more accurate and small dribbles are needed. Then its pedro who really does not try it, except few times and then villa and alexis who just gain some meters with the ball and that's all (cuenca does the same, even though he has the best crossing out of all).
Ok. I am a bit disappointed with alexis, cauz when transferred i was expecting much more from him on that skill area, but i found out that he is really a shadow striker, not a winger. He enjoys playing centrally and waiting to time his run for a good through ball. His work rate is great, speed amazing, but yet again for someone who hangs out wide, seeing his uncomfortability receiving the ball there leaves me a bitter feeling..

The strange thing is that we lack those not only now, but since Pep took charge. Last season and with Zlatan 09-10, we had an extra huge problem: only one player able to hang wide and stretch the play. Not a coincidence that in 08-09 and 10-11, when we were applying properly wingers we got the CL. It seems that with Tito this is fixed forever (thank god).

What do you think?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting observation.

We do seem to lack wing-forwards who are able to dribble/beat their marker. Maybe this is why Tito still plays Iniesta wide sometimes. As Andres, despite being slower than Pedro,Alexis,Tello.. compensates it with his sheer quality and often makes the difference.
I do share your disappointment with Alexis. I expected him to show his ability to take on defenders. Maybe he's handicapped because he's not good with his left foot and plays on the right side most of the time.

Home of Barca Fans