FC Barcelona Tactics

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
The exact same thing that we have been discussing for quite some time now has been pointed out in Revista... We became short in numbers and also in the literal sense, we lack a good old fashioned center forward and we are becoming too predictable are the factors that are hurting us. The criticism is, as some of us have already thought should be, directed towards Pep of course!!

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
{off topic} Pep has made decisions based on principles, rather than mollycoddling spoiled superstars. I respect the man for that. but to say that the team's lack of scoring is his fault is absurd. the team created chances, and did not convert. again, if this were a repeat of the 2008 ManUtd semi final where the team created probably three chances over 180 minutes of football, then fine, Pep is to blame. but in the first half the team created close to ten chances and scored on one of them. that's not Pep's fault. That's the players not converting chances. Even vs Inter we created chances to score three or four in the Camp Nou. people need to settle the f**k down {end off topic}

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
okay that ending {end offtopic} was funny :p

But man, the criticism is in a way I suppose correct. He shouldn't have settled for this low a squad, especially this coming immediately after a WC. Fatigue is already playing a role, the experts say. As for tactics yeah we are creating more chances, that is there and credit is due but I think it's not enough if we were to break buses. Also we already conceded 3 goals from set-pieces this year compared to a total of 6 last season!!

Last edited:

Richard.H

okay that ending {end offtopic} was funny :p

But man, the criticism is in a way I suppose correct. He shouldn't have settled for this low a squad, especially this coming immediately after a WC. Fatigue is already playing a role, the experts say. As for tactics yeah we are creating more chances, that is there and credit is due but I think it's not enough if we were to break buses. Also we already conceded 3 goals from set-pieces this year compared to a total of 6 last season!!

Yeah the squad is thin. If someone up front gets injured we're basically screwed. We need reinforcements up front.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
shut up, Oyentude.

great adaptation by Pep in the 2nd half. he dropped one of Busquets/Kieta/BOSS (that would be Xavi) in front of the first line of pressure to receive the pass from the back line, and then had Iniesta or whomever did not receive the outlet pass right behind the first line of pressure and in front of the back four with Villa on the left and WMD on the right to receive their outlet pass to press forward and put the defense on the retreat. Whomever received the first outlet pass would press up to add another option in the middle (usually BOSS). subtle and fantastic. the Darwinian cycle continues. This is going in my tactics thread.

ok ... that's my post from the FCB v Valencia thread. I'm really really excited at what I saw in the 2nd half from FCB. The layers of players who double as offensive fulcrum/pressure release outlets just got another layer. Pep added that 2nd layer in the midfield. using one midfielder in front of the defensive line to attract pressure and another in between the two defensive lines of pressure to outlet the ball to either the wings or back to BOSS in the middle of the pitch. the result was acres of space for the wing player (Villa on the left, WMD on the right) or space and time for Xaviesta to work magic. the first goal was a result of this. when Iniesta received the 2nd outlet pass he had room to run and attracted three/four defenders. that left BOSS wide open for Iniesta's pass to him. when the Valencia players realized that BOSS was so wide open, it caused the entire back to freeze instead of push up. the result was a perfectly weighted ball past the defenders to Iniesta ... bam ... first goal.

the second was all heart. El Capitan simply out muscled and out fought his way to the top to claim BOSS' inch perfect pass.

I'm very excited. SUPER EXCITED!!

10Messi10

True Barcelonista
ok ... that's my post from the FCB v Valencia thread. I'm really really excited at what I saw in the 2nd half from FCB. The layers of players who double as offensive fulcrum/pressure release outlets just got another layer. Pep added that 2nd layer in the midfield. using one midfielder in front of the defensive line to attract pressure and another in between the two defensive lines of pressure to outlet the ball to either the wings or back to BOSS in the middle of the pitch. the result was acres of space for the wing player (Villa on the left, WMD on the right) or space and time for Xaviesta to work magic. the first goal was a result of this. when Iniesta received the 2nd outlet pass he had room to run and attracted three/four defenders. that left BOSS wide open for Iniesta's pass to him. when the Valencia players realized that BOSS was so wide open, it caused the entire back to freeze instead of push up. the result was a perfectly weighted ball past the defenders to Iniesta ... bam ... first goal.

the second was all heart. El Capitan simply out muscled and out fought his way to the top to claim BOSS' inch perfect pass.

I'm very excited. SUPER EXCITED!!

nice analysis

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
FCB official website claims Pep has tried a new tactic:
Faced with a conservative line up for Zaragoza, Pep Guardiola plumped for a more attacking formation than usual, with three defenders - Puyol, Piqué and Abidal, with Alves and Iniesta down the flanks

It was something new alright but not exactly what they are talking about. For most of the time it was 4-2-3-1.
Wasn't impressed with Sergio-Keita duo tbh. Keita is good but he should be playing as box-to-box midfielder.
Also, I wish we crossed the ball in the box from corners. When having Keita, Pique and Puyol in we shouldn't be looking for that short option.

Bionicman

I've seen several people state that Barcelona needs a tall center forward to target on crosses and beat parked buses. However, I checked the statistics on the FCB site, and found that in the 2008-2009 season, the team didn't head the ball that much. The forward line of Eto'o, Henry, and Messi combined for seven headers (four in La Liga, two in the Champions League, and one in the Copa del Rey). Also, so far this season Real Madrid only has two goals off headers (both against Deportivo). Put simply, I don't think this is the issue here.

X

xaviniesta

it was clearly a 3-4-3 formation -

---------puyol-pique-abidal-----------
--------alves-busquets-keita---------
---------------messi------------------
pedro----------villa------iniesta------

clearly it didnt work out. we didnt have the creativity as we usually have.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
yeah that just killed any creativity in the right positions or even a formation that makes good movement. there is no fullbacks so it ruins everything.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
I was going to write up this big freaking post on what Pep was going to do and what Mou was going to do ... and then analyse and see how my predictions went. I honestly thought it was going to be a 2-1 or 3-2 game. but 5-0 ... geez. All I know is that Mourinho got over-run in the midfield ... but really it was FCB's desire to inflict pain and impose their will on Madrid that made that a 5-0 destruction. Pep allowed Dani and Abidal to use the wings superbly ... ahh screw it ... I don't want to analyse this. brilliant bloody match.

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
all i will say is madrids mid is soooo pathetic and inferior to ours i dunno why there is a comparison to our team. like FFS ozil and khedira :lol: sooo overated. all the problems stemed from right there and not to mention without higgie ronaldo dont have a good point in attack

Home of Barca Fans