FC Barcelona Tactics

yusuf

Yusuf Islam
read it also irv, as the article points out he is trying to find a way to move away from a DM point as we currently have only 1 in busquets so finding another way of playing is useful against park the bus teams.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
----Romeu
JDS----Thiago

as backups to:

---Sergi
Xavi--Iniesta

Do we really need anyone in midfield? Also, don't forget Keita.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Pep deployed 2 pivots in our first match of La Liga.

Looked something like this:

Sergi--Keita
Xavi--Iniesta
---------Villa
----Messi

Messi looked great as a false #9 and Iniesta looked very comfortable in midfield while everyone expected him on the left which was occupied by Villa.
DM duo wasn't hot exactly but let's see it with Mascherano instead of Keita.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yes and we looked better with possession with 4-3-3 and without Xavi which is a bit odd.
It might be because we played less directly than in first half but I am not accepting that idea just yet. We simply had more men in midfield in 1st half plus Xavi is able to pull the strings all by himself.

V

vittorio

what do u guys think about that in tough games:

valdes

alves pique puyol max/abi/adri

sergio masch

xavi

messi villa iniesta

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
what do u guys think about that in tough games:

valdes

alves pique puyol max/abi/adri

sergio masch

xavi

messi villa iniesta

Racing wasn't tough and yet we played with double pivots. Only difference Keita was there in Mascherano's place.
I think we'll play 2 dms quite often.

Birdy

The double pivot system is similar to what Spain used in the WC.. Instead of Keita or MAsch there was alonso alongside Sergio..

I think this system can be used in cases with Strong opponents, but not overdo it, because you can get easily outwitted due to lack of adequate width in your Midlefield and attack (see Spains defeat against Switzerland..)

Birdy

The double-pivot system is more like a 4-2-2-2, but lopsided...
Look at Spain's formation through almost all the knockouts during the WC..
Put Alvez instead of Ramos, Abidal instead of Capdevilla, MAsch instead of alonso, and Messi instead of Torres and you got the formation that we will be starting in many games this year..
espa7.jpg

You can dominate the midfield with a system like that, but it involves also the risk of being too narrow and your opposition can possibly exploit this with the use of wide players and compact defence (Like Switzerland against spain..)

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
But then again, substituting Masch or Busi for Pedro / Bojan would then again open up the play if transformed back to 4 - 3 - 3.

That's why I actually like the option of having Masch here, due to him offering us quite a substantial tactical advantage.

V

vittorio

good post birdy. only i dont completly agree this 4-2-2-2 is too narrow. maybe it is when defending (barca dont do that much) but when attacking sure not, remember how wide both villa and iniesta or pedro,navas were playing in all games. they were actually 2-3m from out-line and then cutting inside. i liked it. :thumbsup2:

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
apologies for not posting much in this thread. I haven't seen one FCB game live this year and with wedding planning (not mine, my friend, but I'm the best man) and looking for a new job (I need to get out of this damned place) and fixing stuff around the house (winter is coming) I had no time to talk about FCB's win @ Atletico. but the good people @ ZonalMarking did it for me.

enjoy.

Trequartista

The good
very interesting 2 points from yesterday:
1-In the First half we played a lot with Iniesta in a free role behind Bojan and Villa,both Bojan and Villa were on the wings,Iniesta played sth like a false number nine but it was a bit deeper than the position Messi plays at when he plays centrally
....................................Iniesta.................................
...Bojan............................................................Villa
2-when we played with Busquetes and Mascherano,it was not a double pivot,Badger played the DMF/Sweeper role with Busquetes playing higher up on the pitch in keita's position

Home of Barca Fans