Toni Kroos

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Date of birth 4 January 1990 (1990-01-04) (age 20)
Place of birth Greifswald, East Germany
Height 1.82 m (5 ft 11+1⁄2 in)
Playing position Midfield
Current club Bayer Leverkusen (on loan from Bayern Munich)
Number 39

MVP of the 2007 U17 World Cup (5 goals, 4 assists)
Currently 9 goals and 8 assists in 24 matches (season 09/10) as of 5th march 2010
National Team debut on 3rd March 2010 against Argentina

Returning from loan to Bayern for the season 10/11.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Added this thread as we havent had one before.

Sth i posted somewhere else already:

'Hm, he currently does play in the left MF for Leverkusen. But this is not his favoured position and he is definitely not a true winger. Its prolly still the position in a flat 442 (thats what Leverkusen plays), that fits him the most. Naturally he is either the AM or a CM in a 442 diamond or a CM in a 433 formation.

For Leverkusen he indeed plays on the side, but he also likes to cut into the middle, behind the strikers and provide them with short, opening passes, or just takes a long shot from there (his specialty tbh). Otherwise he has a very good read of the game, good long passing and set pieces and good technique. While he can dribble, i wouldnt say that he is biased towards dribbling down the flank.

To sum it up his style is fairly similar to that of Fabregas. '

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx eltren. So he just had his debut..
Kroos is certainly one of the reasons why Leverkusen is top of the league.
Knowing Van Gaal and his affinity for youngsters he will make a use of him no doubt once he returns to Bayern.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
There is a funny anecdote around his loan return to Bayern. Leverkusen apparently offered 8M Euro to buy him out of his contract with Bayern and keep him in Leverkusen. Rummenigge (Bayerns CEO) said he responded by asking them if they also intend to offer 4M Euro for Ribery ... :)

BarçAFan10

"Made it, Ma! Top Of The World!"
There is a funny anecdote around his loan return to Bayern. Leverkusen apparently offered 8M Euro to buy him out of his contract with Bayern and keep him in Leverkusen. Rummenigge (Bayerns CEO) said he responded by asking them if they also intend to offer 4M Euro for Ribery ... :)

What a smart ass lol.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
20 y.o. Kroos is looking to have adapted well with Van Gaal's team. Stats aren't much to look as he scored one goal in Bundesliga and added an assist in DFB Pokal.He looks confortable playing as AMC though, having Muller on his right and Ribery on the left.
Only thing that could be slightly worrying is the fact Van Gaal played him for full 90 minutes just twice.

Trequartista

The good
Added this thread as we havent had one before.

Sth i posted somewhere else already:

'Hm, he currently does play in the left MF for Leverkusen. But this is not his favoured position and he is definitely not a true winger. Its prolly still the position in a flat 442 (thats what Leverkusen plays), that fits him the most. Naturally he is either the AM or a CM in a 442 diamond or a CM in a 433 formation.

For Leverkusen he indeed plays on the side, but he also likes to cut into the middle, behind the strikers and provide them with short, opening passes, or just takes a long shot from there (his specialty tbh). Otherwise he has a very good read of the game, good long passing and set pieces and good technique. While he can dribble, i wouldnt say that he is biased towards dribbling down the flank.

To sum it up his style is fairly similar to that of Fabregas. '
a style similar to Iniesta for me,he is struggling but I have high hopes for him,one of my favourite young players

20 y.o. Kroos is looking to have adapted well with Van Gaal's team. Stats aren't much to look as he scored one goal in Bundesliga and added an assist in DFB Pokal.He looks confortable playing as AMC though, having Muller on his right and Ribery on the left.
Only thing that could be slightly worrying is the fact Van Gaal played him for full 90 minutes just twice.

dont think so Bojan,it looks that Van Gaal criticised him,still not what I expect from him,he may lose his place in the National team if Robben returns,anyway he is wasted on the right IMO

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
dont think so Bojan,it looks that Van Gaal criticised him,still not what I expect from him,he may lose his place in the National team if Robben returns,anyway he is wasted on the right IMO

Mido is right and he also didnt score yet at Bayern. Van Gaal is still trying to figure out how to use him most effectively, which is not easy b/c Bayern likes to build up over the flanks mostly and not through the cente, i.e. the AMC (which would be Kroos). Thats also why Müller doesnt work well on the flank but much better in the center, so that he can run into the balls from the flanks and doesnt have to outdribble opponents. And thus van Gaal lately opted to switch Müller with Kroos and puts the latter on the right flank. This however doesnt suit him that good either, as he isnt a super pacy winger and esp. cant cut in and shoot with his strong right foot.

That was the Kroos-dilema so far ... he just couldnt be integrated yet into bayerns style - b/c Müller works better in the center for Bayern and b/c he just doesnt suit to the right flank. Riberys injury could turn out gross for him though: he will still be on the flank, but the left one this time. He works well there for Leverkusen last year b/c he can use his longshooting when finally being able to cut into the center. And once he scores or has 1-2 good games i expect his confidence to grow and on longterm adept to the AMC role in bayerns team - being flanked by Ribery and Robben and when Müller takes over as the center forward.

a style similar to Iniesta for me,he is struggling but I have high hopes for him,one of my favourite young players
More like Cesc for me as he is a more direct player and well ... he can shoot!

Trequartista

The good
options:
1-Switch him to the left,Ribery to settle for the right wing
2-Kroos as AMF,Muller as false number nine:very highly unlikely scenario in prescense of Klose,Olic
3-Playing him in a more deeper role,he will be a failure there IMO bec Swiny,Van Bommel are completely different players,so he will find that he is too weak to play in a more deeper role

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
i dont see ribery agreeing to play on the right, so that option is out imo.

while i can imagine him acting as svhweinis replacement (only when injured or rested ofc), i also wouldnt like him in van bommels spot like a lot of bayern fans think will happen in the future. too unlikely vG will go with 2 playmakers and no holding player/anchorman - doesnt seem like a good idea anyway.

for the moment (w/out rib and rob) i assume this:

--------------klose
---kroos-----mueller------olic

In the long run i can see kroos settling in as AMC and mueller replacing klose ahead:

-------------mueller
---ribery-----kroos------robben

Home of Barca Fans