Rangers V Celtic

B

blueduck

Yup. I have nothing but respect for fans of lower league teams.

We used to be like that and we used to sing this song:

We never win at home
and we never win away
We lost last week
and we lost today
We don't give a fuck
'Cos we're all pissed up
MCFC OK

Times are a-changin'.

B

blueduck

A SICK Celtic fan taunts brave Falklands hero Simon Weston - by waving an ARGENTINA shirt during yesterday's Old Firm clash.

The vile stunt came as war veteran Simon - who suffered horrific burns in the conflict - was a guest of Rangers' charity at Ibrox.

Furious ex-Army major Mike Rumbles MSP said: "It is totally unacceptable. This mindless rivalry between Old Firm fans has now hit a new low. This is deplorable."

It's claimed other Hoops fans heaped more shame on their club during their 1-0 defeat by chanting the name of the South American country and waving its flag.

Former SAS commander and top civil servant Clive Fairweather said: "It is very extreme and disappointing."

And Stephen Smith, of the Rangers Supporters' Trust, added: "It's a disgrace that this abuse was directed at one of the country's war heroes.

"There's no excuse for this type of behaviour."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2872402/Celtic-fans-sick-Falklands-War-stunt.html

Disgusting behaviour. Still, as he's a Celtic fan it doesn't surprise me.

S

Super Pippo

If I was Argentine, I think i'd take quite a bit of offence at waving it's flag being considered "sick", "deplorable" and a "disgrace" by British papers.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
If you were Argentine maybe you'd understand the context a bit better and not totally misunderstand what you just read.

S

Super Pippo

What is to misunderstand? It's not Dostoyevski. The person waved a flag of a country and said it's name.

And I think that regardless of where I was from, I would appreciate that a football match, more so a city derby, is not a place where I could expect universal sympathy for my cause when I affiliate myself to one of the sides.

So even if you could take offence to a flag of a country, what was this person expecting? It would happen in Manchester, Milano, Madrid, Lisbon or Istanbul.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
They were waving the Argentine shirt/flag (allegedly) because the guy got horifically injured fighting in the Falklands War, I guarantee you that no fans in Manchester, Madrid or Lisbon would have taunted a veteran with the flag of a former wartime adversary of the nation, whether Milano or Istanbul is any different I don't know because I've never been and don't know any people from there.

S

Super Pippo

"was a guest of Rangers"

Any derby anywhere would have caused there to be a reaction against him by some of the opposition fans. Anywhere. And probably worse than a flag of a country to.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
So you reckon that if Morocco had invaded Las Canarias 30 years ago and a veteran of a conflict between Spain and Morocco who received horrific injuries was a guest of Atletico Madrid you'd have Madridistas holding Morocco flags? I don't.

S

Super Pippo

I'm sure there are fans of Real Madrid from Morocco. But as that is two Spanish clubs in Spain it's not the same as this situation is it?

How is England going to manage the Olympic games if Argentina wins anything? Will they not be allowed to collect their medals?

Or any other country you had a war with, (so all of them).

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Pippo, you've misunderstood the situation, nobody here has any problem with Argentina, the issue is with taunting a war veteran. Fans of various clubs in England take flags representing the nationality of their players so some have Argentine flags and sing "Argentina, Argentina" in support of the player, nobody has a problem with that.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
Adam did you go to the Malvinas monument in Buenos Aires? near Retiro bus station. I didn't feel particularly welcome.

B

blueduck

my hope in man kind fades just a little more.... :sad:

Nearly everyone else's fans are ok. It's Celtic fans who are at fault, as usual.

Oh and Pippo, before you went and talked a load of BS, you should have actually read the article and known the context.

Last edited:

Sallou

Kyle bloody Lafferty....

He started the friggin thing. Randomly grabbed Brown around the head area- was shoving him and whathaveyou- and the minute Brown does anything in return, Lafferty collapses in a fucking heap. Scum. Serious scum. And if you watch, the referee didn/t see the incident. Only turned around when Laff was already on the floor. If he didn't see everything, he had no right giving a a red.

Home of Barca Fans