Another goalkeeper?

Should Barca get another goalkeeper

• Total voters

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Latest rumors suggest that Txiki is looking for a goalie for 2009/2010 season. Someone to challenge Valdes.
Question is simple, do we need another goalkeeper?

Evil

Shabazz
I voted yes, not because Valdés isn´t good enough, but we need a good backup keeper. Jorquera isn´t quality and Pinto is aging and a bit rusty. Valdés should be our first option no doubt, but we need another 20 year old keeper with potential, even if its from the reserve team.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree. Someone already pointed out that we shouldn`t waste the talent of a young goalkeeper on the bench. So if we were to look, I`d go for someone experienced.

Evil

Shabazz
That's a good point, but then I doubt there will be any experienced goal-keeper who would like sitting on the benches, unless he's really average like Jorquera or Pinto. I would like to see one our younger keeper promoted and playing most of the Cup matches, and slowly making his up. After all, that's what Valdés did until he earned a starting position.

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo
Get rid of Pinto and Jorquera (next season that is), then get a young talented keeper to learn from Valdes and maybe someday surpass him, maybe a youth product like Olazable but i think he's too young.

hendryrusli

Hmm in my opinion we do not need another goalie. Valdes is good enough. Pinto can server as backup as he's experienced. As for Jorquera, we might as well get rid of him.

roll

Tryin` to be hated
We need someone to challenge Valdez and that is not Oier. He could be good backup goalkeeper with a chance to challenge Valdez after two years. Now should bouy one 1 good goalkeeper either young or old.

Fourteen

Monster Masch
God forbid Valdes gets' injured, but he is in tip top condition and he doesn't need any competition to keep him motivated, he love's this club, that's motivation enough.

Concentrate on training up a replacement, we've got a good 4-5 years before we need to think about replacing Valdes, providing he remains at the level he is now and perhaps he might improve, although I doubt it.

maz

I walk the line
Im happy with vv and pinto. VV for obvious reasons (ive defended him his whole time here), but pinto is the best we are going to get as a reserve keeper. A young keepre needs lots of game time in order to improve, and alot of great keepers wont be the same if u play them 5 or 6 times a year. Pinto is a zamora winner and we all know keepers can play until their late 30's. He only needs a game or two to get back onto form.

VV has shown many times he doesnt need a backup keeper to keep him on his toes. He has improved consistently and put in countless motm performances with only jorquera as his backup. And jorquera wouldnt even keep a ballerina on their toes. We need a keeper that can play well if vv is out. Pinto is that man.

Evil

Shabazz
I agree with your post maz, VV is solid and Pinto is a good back-up. The only thing I don't agree with is that we can't have a young keeper as backup because they need regular matches ? ... I mean Valdés came through the ranks, and he wasn´t a starter when he first came, he worked his way up and turned out fine.

maz

I walk the line
VV was 21 when he was first choice starter. He had 5 seasons of being the first choice keeper and that was the reason he is the keeper he is today. A young keeper NEEDS consistent games to improve. We aren't in the business to groom a youngster to be future fcb keeper. We need a series of keepers that can be backup to vv for the next 6 seasons or so!

Evil

Shabazz
Good point .. I was just thinking we could have got a young keeper but experienced at the same time, probably the same age as Valdés, that way he can be a good back-up for Valdés, and the same time there will be space for more development and improvement which is less likely with a 32 year old ...

Home of Barca Fans