Another goalkeeper?

Should Barca get another goalkeeper

• Total voters

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think that the chances for Valdes to get injured are very slim. Pinto is enough as a backup.
I don`t need to remind you that Pinto won the Zamora trophy (best goalkeeper in Primera) less than 3 years ago

Evil

Shabazz
That's like saying Dinho won FIFA world player 3 years ago, but he's the best now :p I'm not complaining about Pinto, he's a very solid back-up IMO, it's just his age that bothers me, no more room for development and improvement, which wouldn't be the case if we had someone younger.

maz

I walk the line
The majority of voters said bring in another keeper (current standing is 6 vs 4). Out of interest..what keeper would those people want to bring in? Would it be someone to replace vv or to be his backup?

hendryrusli

Those voted yes probably wanted the new keeper to challenge Victor Valdes for first team spot. It's a good idea but I don't think it's necessary. Victor Valdes and Pinto are a good combination and frankly speaking I do not want Barcelona spend money to buy a new keeper.

Evil

Shabazz
maz said:
The majority of voters said bring in another keeper (current standing is 6 vs 4). Out of interest..what keeper would those people want to bring in? Would it be someone to replace vv or to be his backup?

My vote is to get another keeper, but definatley as a backup for Valdes ...

maz

I walk the line
But who would that backup be? Im interested to hear people's suggestions for names...

S

Snyde

Obviously there is a dilemma here, whether to bring in a quality but young GK who may in a few years time be able to challenge Valdez but this has the drawback that we may stunt that players growth with the lack of games. If we don't go with that option we should have an experienced (veteran) but quality nonetheless, backup for VV who doesn't mind being behind VV. However that adds very little for the future.
If it is the second option, I doubt we can do better than Pinto. However if we go with the first, it might be Asenjo.
I see the second option as better unless we can get a young GK give him out on loan and still keep a veteran in case of injuries.

maz

I walk the line
VV will be our first choice keeper for 6 years at least (he is 26 now, no way will he decline before he is 32). On that assumption, any keeper that starts to take over from vv will have to begin to do so in 6 years time. That keeper will be around 22-24. Oier olazábal will be 25 then so we COULD look into loaning him out and bringing him into the frame in 5 or 6 years (because keeping him to backup for vv before then would mean he gets hardly any games experience). But this is assuming vv doesnt pass 32, which is unlikely in my opinion.

I think we should stick with pinto, replace him in a few years with another veteran, and then a keeper who is around 14/15 NOW would have made a small name for himself and he can eventually replace vv.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
goal.com, goal.com
Didn`t see any of those news on Spanish portals. Although I could be wrong, Tamer probably knows more.

Evil

Shabazz
Nope, the Asenjo rumours died a while ago. However, I did read an interview with Valdés saying that just staying in Barcelona is a privilage for him, and he nor his agent ever asked for money .. So It´s surprized me now reading that he wants more money ..

EDIT: Actually there are some rumours about Asenjo, Txiki met with his agent a few days back, he has a 5.5m buyout caluse so financially it won't be a problem. I still don't buy the Valdés stuff though ..

Evil

Shabazz
I would like to change my vote to NO we don't need any goalkeeper. Maz was right, after I saw Pinto in the Copa matches I've completly changed my mind, he's a solid experienced backup who is always ready .. My bad guys .. :oops:

Home of Barca Fans