Thiago Silva

DrPepper

Thiago Silva is seriously good, but I still can't get the fact that he's not faced much quality opposition out of my head, but then again he has usually always done well whenever he has faced tough competition.

Well he was incredible in Italy when the league wasn't yet in decline and still competitively. Already the best in the world there. Has been incredible every time he played Barca as well. Remember his last minute header with Milan at the Camp Nou or his excellent performance in 12/13 in PSG's home match? Can't fault his performances against Chelsea either. Very good World Cup as well, once he didn't play his team struggled massively. It's probably just because he started playing in the top leagues at 25, due to his sickness before, that he seems a bit underrated.

Basically he's a player like Philipp Lahm who is rated by almost anybody - someone who barely/never makes mistakes and is extremely reliable defensively and in offensive contribution. There's no reason to doubt him. Miles ahead of any other CB, as statistics also show.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Not sure, but whenever I watched Brazil I didn't notice TS to be godly fast tbh. Luiz is pretty fast, yes, but also error-prone. Is he as fast or even faster than Boateng? Don't know, but remember, Boateng plays in one of the highest lines in world football atm and doesn't struggle at all. I'm not sure one could say the same thing about TS or Luiz. PSG's line isn't really high from what I've seen of them so far. That may actually help TS etc. to appear as quick as the possibly do occasionally, since they can be more economical in terms of how the expend their stammina during a match.

Bertus

Not sure, but whenever I watched Brazil I didn't notice TS to be godly fast tbh. Luiz is pretty fast, yes, but also error-prone. Is he as fast or even faster than Boateng? Don't know, but remember, Boateng plays in one of the highest lines in world football atm and doesn't struggle at all. I'm not sure one could say the same thing about TS or Luiz. PSG's line isn't really high from what I've seen of them so far.

The line is very high unless the opponent has just a better midfield.

In Ligue it's even worse because 90% of the teams play in defense. Therefore PSG's defensive line is most of the time very high.

Blanc is trying to copy Barca's playstyle, so of course the line is high.

And it's just my opinion, but I still maintain it, TS and marquinhos are at least as fast as Boateng, with faster reaction time too in defense and 1vs1.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

The line is very high unless the opponent has just a better midfield.

In Ligue it's even worse because 90% of the teams play in defense. Therefore PSG's defensive line is most of the time very high.

Blanc is trying to copy Barca's playstyle, so of course the line is high.

And it's just my opinion, but I still maintain it, TS and marquinhos are at least as fast as Boateng, with faster reaction time too in defense and 1vs1.

Well, only saw them in the CL as I don't watch L1. Might be different there.

Bertus

Well, only saw them in the CL as I don't watch L1. Might be different there.
You won't see PSG buying slow or even average CB in term of speed because that goes again their current tactic.

Now if Blanc leaves that might be different, but that dude seems awfully lucky. Sol hope for those who want him gone is him losing the Ligue 1 title.

If he wins the french league, we're in for another year at least with Blanc.

BenRobbins

Good luck.

I won't waste my time on MU forums like I did in the past trying to explain why PSG won't sell their best players.

I always get the same reply:

- PSG is shit.
- We are MU
- Therefore we can get any players we want.

Dunno if it changed, but in the past it was like that every f*cking time.

Cavani might be sold tho. But TS, no way. Given how there are so few excellent CB, and how the prices rise every summers, PSG won't sell him.

Come on man i doubt people on places like Redcafe are like that. They are quite a reasonable bunch and not arrogant at all!

I agree the average United fan is like that though and its stupid.

Anyway on the subject, like you said no chance, nada, none what so ever this will happen. Don't know why the club are even trying.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Actually, they do. Hummels, N'Koulou and a host of others receive better grades than Boateng, no need to even mention Silva, whose grades were highest amongst CB's up to this week:

Boateng
http://www.whoscored.com/Players/23589

Silva
http://www.whoscored.com/Players/28550

According to whoscored Alves was the best RB in the World last season. So yeah..........whoscored and stats without context is hardly the right way to go judging a player. That's where watching football comes into play ;)

According to Whoscored Bartra is better than Marquinhos :lol:

Jair Ventura

According to whoscored Alves was the best RB in the World last season.

I don't know that he wasn't, but that's largely irrelevant. A single anomaly says little, your personal disagreement without sufficient argumentation to the contrary says less.

So yeah..........whoscored and stats without context is hardly the right way to go judging a player. That's where watching football comes into play ;)

You may have missed it, but statistics were the conversation.

According to Whoscored Bartra is better than Marquinhos :lol:

Ok.

When it comes to ratings, Squawka is the better site.

That's the thing about opinions, we all have them.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

Boateng comes out on top in Champions League though, if you change every player's competition from domestic leagues to UCL. I feel CL is a fairer comparison if you want to do a statistical one rather than for players playing in different leagues.

I don't think Thiago Silva is as great as before when he was above his peers. His constant annoying injuries seem to have taken some life out of his defending + the likes of Boateng and Pique has really improved the last couple of seasons, but no doubt he is still WC which he has showed again this season after a rather disappointing World Cup.

DrPepper

Boateng comes out on top in Champions League though, if you change every player's competition from domestic leagues to UCL. I feel CL is a fairer comparison if you want to do a statistical one rather than for players playing in different leagues.

I don't think Thiago Silva is as great as before when he was above his peers. His constant annoying injuries seem to have taken some life out of his defending + the likes of Boateng and Pique has really improved the last couple of seasons, but no doubt he is still WC which he has showed again this season after a rather disappointing World Cup.

I don't think 8 matches (max) are enough to compare, especially when you consider that certain teams faced stronger/weaker teams than others. Ofc that argument applies to comparing leagues as well, but it's more notable with such a small sample size. Not even one of those players have the maximum of matches there; Ramos and Silva only even have 4. I'd be okay with adding CL + League games but I guess that's not possible there.

Silva nearly played as many minutes as his great 12/13 season with still a month of the season to go. Has more minutes than Boateng in the last two years. It's not that bad.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans