Thiago Silva

Birdy

I also don't think Mascherano and Ramos are faster.
If you think so, then they might not be faster.. :lol:
You said it yourself accidentally, you are comparing Silva to Nesta, Yepes and co. If that is your meter, yeah he is fast as lightning..
Pique also drifts to the side and covers dangerous balls played wide, but that is not the problem. The problem lies elsewhere..

Apart from that, what you say doesnt make sense, for the simple reason that
1) Serie A is maybe the slowest league in Europe (even Eredivise and Portuguese superleague are faster) and
2) that you are comparing by some strange means AC Milan with the current Barcelona, which is the most attacking and possesion-based club in the world, and maybe in the history of the sport. Playing high line in Barcelona and making returns in counters for Barca's defenders does not resemble any other side, let alone the mediocre AC Milan of last years..

Stric

Unless we agree with your (very unusual) opinion, it's not a serious discussion. :lol: You've taken this discussion into the realm of the absurd as soon as you posted that.

Chainsaw

Killahead
The club hasn't been exactly forceful or prioritizing in their transfers but they'd have to be insanely stupid not to buy a CB.

Funny even in here some people still think the club doesn't need another CB. Something that we had to have 2 summers ago!

Ursegor

World Champion
There aren't exactly many proper CBs out there so I can understand Tito if he doesn't buy anyone. Absolute minimum required abilities:

+ speed
+ ballplaying skills
+ complementing Pique (which Hummels doesn't)
+ should be an improvement over Mascherano
+ should be actually getable (Ramos isn't getable, T. Silva is almost impossible, Mourinho will probably sell us Luiz for the same price he sold us Ibrahimovic, like Iniesta + € 30 million or something)

Who fits those bills? Pretty much no one. We can either buy cheap-ish names like Rami or gamble and splash € 30+ million on 18 year old talents like Marquinhos.

Jadentheman

Or go cheap and get promiising players. There is still players like Dede and Doria. If other clubs buy them up and they become successful we will look foolish once againand then bid 20-30 million for them. Management will never learn

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

i_bleed_blaugrana

There aren't exactly many proper CBs out there so I can understand Tito if he doesn't buy anyone. Absolute minimum required abilities:

+ speed
+ ballplaying skills
+ should be actually getable (Ramos isn't getable, T. Silva is almost impossible, Mourinho will probably sell us Luiz for the same price he sold us Ibrahimovic, like Iniesta + € 30 million or something)

Who fits those bills? Pretty much no one. We can either buy cheap-ish names like Rami or gamble and splash € 30+ million on 18 year old talents like Marquinhos.

I'd say go for Marquinhos and/or Luiz.

I think Luiz is more attainable than people think. Mou doesn't like offensive-minded defenders. He forced both Lucio at Inter and Ramos at Real to curb their attacking tendencies and he won't be able to get Luiz to play like that. I foresee Mou preferring Cahill, Ivanovic and even Terry over Luiz bc of how they play.

Wouldn't take more than a 35 mil move to make it happen too. If we are going to have to pay Roma 30 for Marquinhos, why not spend a little extra for Luiz?

I can't. We absolutely need a CB.

+ speed
+ ballplaying skills

Then get Marquinhos. He'd be better than nothing (or some mediocre player like Rami). Far better. And he fits the requirements.

I'd say go for Marquinhos and/or Luiz.

I think Luiz is more attainable than people think. Mou doesn't like offensive-minded defenders. He forced both Lucio at Inter and Ramos at Real to curb their attacking tendencies and he won't be able to get Luiz to play like that. I foresee Mou preferring Cahill, Ivanovic and even Terry over Luiz bc of how they play.

Wouldn't take more than a 35 mil move to make it happen too. If we are going to have to pay Roma 30 for Marquinhos, why not spend a little extra for Luiz?

Maybe because Marquinhos fits our needs a lot better? Plus he's a lot younger, etc. An offensive-minded, error-prone defender like Luiz is the last thing we need. I think pairing him with Pique could be a disaster.

Marquinhos for 30 would be a far better buy than Luiz for 35.

Last edited:

Stric

Promising players are OK for the long run, but with our situation, we need someone who'll be a huge improvement to our defense starting with day #1.

Promising players are OK for the long run, but with our situation, we need someone who'll be a huge improvement to our defense starting with day #1.

Which is why I want TS. Marquinhos would also be a great option though, if we can't get TS. He'd certainly be better than Luiz, Agger, etc. And he'd be an improvement on what we have right now (but that's not saying much :lol:).

Tbh, I can't think of a better option than Marquinhos who's attainable, besides TS (and he's not that attainable either, but I don't think he's as impossible to get as some others do). Off the top of my head, at least. Koscielny maybe?

Last edited:

Stric

I agree. In general, I wouldn't mind having young promising players either (but I would mind Bartra being screwed over because of it), but that's another story. I don't know much about Marquinhos, but if he's as good as the rumors say, then he might be a good option for both an instant improvement and the long run.

Juan Shoe

That's the thing. The only real key aspect that Silva brings over Marquinhos that would actually make an impact is leadership, but for how long? He's not exactly a young player and that one leadership aspect isn't enough to warrant more than 45m for a short term transfer. Marquinhos offers all the impact Silva does except the leadership feature which will come in years time as he gains experience at the club. He'll probably be among the best in the world for around 10-12 years.

I'm sorry but that simply isn't true. I highlighted the key mental attributes that we are missing in our defence and even if you choose to ignore that fact that leadership and organisation are amongst the key attributes of a world class centreback, and even you decide Marquinhos' technical abilities are on a par with Silva's (which I have to say don't buy there on a par) there are the other mental attributes that Silva is vastly superior on that make him a vastly superior defender. There are huge question marks over Marquinhos' consistency, determination, reading of the game and most of all ability to handle pressure. Marquinhos could reach Silva's level but at present he isn't anywhere near it. A comparison would be Messi and Neymar. Neymar has many technical attirbutes similar to Messi and some physical attributes that are better. He is younger and could be a mainstay of a team for longer. However if you had to improve a team for next season first and foremost you would undoubtedly choose Messi. The down side being the financial reality of buying one of the world's best players. Also you used a key word "probably." He could be a world calss centre back but there are lots of youngsters out there that could be world class. Silva is as close to a sure thing as you are going to get. He will improve the defence for the next 3-4 years. Both are over priced and both would in there own way be good signings but to say that Silva doesn't offer substantially more at present is demonstrably fallacious.

Home of Barca Fans