Thiago Silva

Shegzy

Maybe in Fifa 13 they are fast, because I've never heard of Ogbonna until I played Fifa. But pace isn't everything in football. David Luiz is very fast, but sometimes lacks the defensive awareness and intelligence, even though he certainly improved last season. Thiago Silva has it all though, not only is he fast, but also very intelligent in defending. He knows what he has to do and you can see it when you watch him play. Also remember that Puyol was brilliant in 2008-2011 and in 2008 he was already 30. So Thiago Silva would have at least three good seasons, maybe even more, and if we win the Champions League in that time, then he is certainly worth 40 or more millions.

It would be good to buy Thiago Silva now and buy a young CB talent like Marquinhos next year. This way the young CB has time to settle in and to improve, because I don't want to see someone with so little experience like Bartra play important CL semi-finals and then lose so heavily.

u would not know ogbonna when who u want us to sign is players playing for big teams that compete in champions league and because u don't know him does it mean he wouldn't improve our as well as thiago silva would .you were talking about champions league experience as if it was something a player will gain by sitting on the bench or playing in a team that is not in top 4.if we don't give bartra playing time in the champions league how will he gain champions league experience.when pique was bought back did he have champions league experience,when acmilan bought thiagosilva did he have champions league experience,when bayern bought dante did he have champions league experience and not having champions league experience does not mean u're not good it might be as a result of the team u are playing(in marquinhos case) or ur coach is stubborn and don't give youth that much chance to the extent he rather play an attacking fullback in cb instead of u(in bartra's) and when it come to champions league experience, young players in ajax,celtic,arsenal have more champions league experience than cavani and falcao combine,does this mean cavani and falcao are not world class and do not deserve to be in starting eleven of big clubs because of this,the answer is no.if we had given bartra chance to play in some champions league matches since two years ago he would have had champions league experience and if roma had been in champions league marquinhos would have.having champions league experience is not a criteria for judging a player because if it is falcao is not as good as bojan or cuenca or tello.and marquinhos has enough experience if we are not talking about cl experience to play for us because for an 18 yr old to be considered as one of the best defender in a league where there are so many great defenders is not a small feat the same way been the fourth highest goal scorer in laliga after messi,ronaldo and falcao is not a small feat for an 18 years

Xavi_Hernandez

First of all, I had a lot of problems reading this because there's no structure in your text.

Champions League experience is not what I necessarily want, but you can't compare Bartra to Pique or Thiago Silva back then. Bartra barely played league matches, while Pique and Thiago Silva were first teamers back then, playing a lot of league matches. This is want I mean by settling in. If Barcelona buy Thiago Silva and a young CB then they can take the time of developing the latter one. Raphael Varane needed one and a half seasons but now he is already better than Pepe, because Madrid weren't rushing his developement.

Ogbonna has a deal with Juventus by the way. For me the priority list should look like this: Thiago Silva > David Luiz > Marquinhos / I. Martinez > Agger > Rami (why Rami ffs)

Meitux

We shouldnt even be discussing about Silva,we need a miracle to take him and eventually it wont happen even thought believe me i would want him desperatelly.My opinion is that we shoud move quickly for possible (good) options before we lose them

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
His age is an issue that would make a large transfer sum unpalatable, but to say that Ramos is "better in every way" smacks of a very biased opinion. If Ramos was better in every way, there would not be so many people, Tito included, that believe Thiago Silva is the best defender in the world. Not to mention that this isn't FIFA 13. You can't just bid on one of your chief rival's most recognizable players and expect to grab him.

I agree with you that Thiago Silva is the best CB in the world, and by some distance. What I meant by Ramos being "better in every way" is that, as a transfer, he's better for us than Thiago Silva. He's younger by 1 and 1/2 years, he is Spanish and has formed an excellent partnership with Pique, and in the defensive attributes he's comparable to Thiago Silva. I do understand that Ramos would most likely not leave, but bidding will do us no harm. Might as well try, no?

F

Flavia

I agree with you that Thiago Silva is the best CB in the world, and by some distance. What I meant by Ramos being "better in every way" is that, as a transfer, he's better for us than Thiago Silva. He's younger by 1 and 1/2 years, he is Spanish and has formed an excellent partnership with Pique, and in the defensive attributes he's comparable to Thiago Silva. I do understand that Ramos would most likely not leave, but bidding will do us no harm. Might as well try, no?
No. florentino and rosell have a kind of agreement to not harass players from each other.

Shegzy

First of all, I had a lot of problems reading this because there's no structure in your text.

Champions League experience is not what I necessarily want, but you can't compare Bartra to Pique or Thiago Silva back then. Bartra barely played league matches, while Pique and Thiago Silva were first teamers back then, playing a lot of league matches. This is want I mean by settling in. If Barcelona buy Thiago Silva and a young CB then they can take the time of developing the latter one. Raphael Varane needed one and a half seasons but now he is already better than Pepe, because Madrid weren't rushing his developement.

Ogbonna has a deal with Juventus by the way. For me the priority list should look like this: Thiago Silva > David Luiz > Marquinhos / I. Martinez > Agger > Rami (why Rami ffs)

how many match did pique play for manchester united before we bought him back. Marquinhos is a starter for his team and zouma is also a starter,i just read we and psg had a 25million euros rejected for marquinhos and also that we've uped our bid to 32 million euro although what i thought we should have done is 25 million euros+affelay and loan bartra to them.the remaining money we should sign kurt zouma for 10m pounds(we should not sign marquinhos only and i am impressed by what i have heard about zouma and i wonder why we are not interested in him,the top 4 in epl have been linked with him and he is 1 out of the two cb that has not been dribbled past this season,he is tall,fast and has not be outpaced this season and he is also left-footed,if we sign we can loan him back to his club saint ettiene.even Ts has been dribbled and they play in the same league,this guy is a beast and at just 18,he and marquinhos will form a strong cb pairing for at least 7 good years and he also has good pass

XaviMessiGirl

Saying he is faster than many CB's out there (which are slow), doesnt mean he is as fast as we need.. I have watched him many many times.. You seem just delluded bcz you like him..

I really have no idea what you consider to be fast then if you think Silva isn't. I for one have seen him plenty of times & disagree with you entirely.

Ogbonna has a deal with Juventus by the way.

That's not official.

Birdy

I really have no idea what you consider to be fast then if you think Silva isn't. I for one have seen him plenty of times & disagree with you entirely.
When we say that a defender has in its basic skills pace, we mean that he can cover huge tons of space with his head facing his goal, that are left when the team is caught high and the opponent breaks on the counter. And this is exactly the case with Barcelona -especially in the largest pitch like Camp Nou-, and not something else.. This the basic thing we should be looking at.. (There are set pieces also. Ok, he will be very effective there. But not number 1 priority). We need something exceptional .. And if you consider that we have Mascherano already, who is pacy, we need an upgrade of Mascherano. Someone with the same pace (or more) but with better defending abilities..

I never said Silva is not a great defender. I would welcome him, but not to play alongside Pique in any case..
We need a young Puyol. Carvalho of 2004, Kolo Toure of 2003 are such cases.. This is the type of defender we need..
I agree with some previous posts saying that the best fit out there is Ramos.. He surelly is, but i dont want him in my team..

Juan Shoe

People who act as if Silva is a magic wand that fixes everything simply don't understand defending. In counterattacking situations we've faced, there's probably nothing that Silva individually would've done differently than Pique/Puyol that would be of any real help. The only thing a better individual defender provides is better basic qualities such as physicality and positioning, something present but not yet equal in both Marquinhos and Silva. If we don't fix our system, Marquinhos and Silva would be equally useless. If we do fix our system, Silva would be better than Marquinhos but not by too much and definitely not in the long term. Buying defenders to fix our defense is 100% an on-paper solution considering our problem is systemic. Silva alone wouldn't solve our problems and would cost 40-50 million in the process. The output of both Marcos/Silva would be relatively similar in whatever situation we are in tactically. The only difference is that one is overpriced and short term while the other is young and will be key for a long time.

A lot of what you say is correct, especially about Silva not waving a magic wand (not that I ever claimed he would) and that our attacking tactics leave us open to counters more than any other team. However to say that both players' output would be the same is just nonsense. Firstly the key to defending the counter (apart from changing the tactics and limiting our fullbacks runs which is unlikely to happen) is organisation. Silva is a born leader who is able to provide that organisation having done it at the highest level. Secondly Barca have suffered all season when Puyol has been missing in other situations, primarily set-pieces. Whilst again more has to be done at a training level on this having a true leader in the defence helps enormously. Not so much with the initial ball in but witht he second and thrid phase. Puyol has provided that for Barca for years. He has been one of the best defenders in the last decade with only a few better than him but plenty who have the same abilities and physicality. The reason he excelled is the mental qualities he brings; leadership and organisation. Marquinhos can simply not provide that aspect of the game that Silva brings.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
A lot of what you say is correct, especially about Silva not waving a magic wand (not that I ever claimed he would) and that our attacking tactics leave us open to counters more than any other team. However to say that both players' output would be the same is just nonsense. Firstly the key to defending the counter (apart from changing the tactics and limiting our fullbacks runs which is unlikely to happen) is organisation. Silva is a born leader who is able to provide that organisation having done it at the highest level. Secondly Barca have suffered all season when Puyol has been missing in other situations, primarily set-pieces. Whilst again more has to be done at a training level on this having a true leader in the defence helps enormously. Not so much with the initial ball in but witht he second and thrid phase. Puyol has provided that for Barca for years. He has been one of the best defenders in the last decade with only a few better than him but plenty who have the same abilities and physicality. The reason he excelled is the mental qualities he brings; leadership and organisation. Marquinhos can simply not provide that aspect of the game that Silva brings.

That's the thing. The only real key aspect that Silva brings over Marquinhos that would actually make an impact is leadership, but for how long? He's not exactly a young player and that one leadership aspect isn't enough to warrant more than 45m for a short term transfer. Marquinhos offers all the impact Silva does except the leadership feature which will come in years time as he gains experience at the club. He'll probably be among the best in the world for around 10-12 years.

Philru190

Saying he is faster than many CB's out there (which are slow), doesnt mean he is as fast as we need.. I have watched him many many times.. You seem just delluded bcz you like him..

The video you posted proves my argument and not yours: Most of his clearances and interception are made based on his clever reading and very good sense of how the opponent will try to dribble.. If you are referring to his header after a run in the box, that doesnt say much: Pique also does the same (2-6 2009 goal after eto'o's cross and many other times)..
When we say that a defender has in its basic skills pace, we mean that he can cover huge tons of space with his head facing his goal, that are left when the team is caught high and the opponent breaks on the counter. And this is exactly the case with Barcelona -especially in the largest pitch like Camp Nou-, and not something else.. This the basic thing we should be looking at.. (There are set pieces also. Ok, he will be very effective there. But not number 1 priority). We need something exceptional .. And if you consider that we have Mascherano already, who is pacy, we need an upgrade of Mascherano. Someone with the same pace (or more) but with better defending abilities..

I never said Silva is not a great defender. I would welcome him, but not to play alongside Pique in any case..
We need a young Puyol. Carvalho of 2004, Kolo Toure of 2003 are such cases.. This is the type of defender we need..
I agree with some previous posts saying that the best fit out there is Ramos.. He surelly is, but i dont want him in my team..

A couple of things, Silva is the defender that has always allowed his teams to play high lines given that his partners have been an aging Nesta, Yepes, and Bonera. Covering dangerous balls played anywhere in behind the line be it the left or right flank is a hallmark of his play. Again it's really hard to believe you've seen him play much given the things you're saying. I also don't think Mascherano and Ramos are faster.

I do agree that Pique and Silva probably wouldn't be the ideal pairing but not due to a lack of pace but more because neither are suited to being the leader/organizer of the back four. They both don't have that kind of personality.

Home of Barca Fans