Thiago Silva

Ramos would never come, Inigo Martinez wouldn't come this season, he's very committed to the club he's fan of, Thiago silva is almost imposible.
The only real option left would be Marquinhos.

I'm really starting to believe that if Thiago Silva doesn't sing for us, tito would just chose not to sign anyone.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Any idea about Ramos buy-out clause?

Transfermarkt values him at 40 million, don't know his actual buy-out clause.

Guys, I really don't understand why you keep saying Ramos is impossible but then keep talking about signing Thiago Silva; what reason does PSG have for selling him?

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Transfermarkt values him at 40 million, don't know his actual buy-out clause.

Guys, I really don't understand why you keep saying Ramos is impossible but then keep talking about signing Thiago Silva; what reason does PSG have for selling him?

Both are pretty impossible transfers, it's just that Silva doesn't play for our biggest rivals and would be open to a move personally. However just because he's a more likely transfer than Ramos doesn't mean that he's a likely transfer.

Co0ter

Guys you just dont get that we do not need just a good defender, but a defender with specific characteristics that Silva lacks..
If we want a new version of Pique, or an upgraded one, yeah we should go for him, he is anything closer (or better) to Pique we can get..

But, we dont want a new Pique (for now), but a new Puyol.. If you grasp that, then we can continue the serious part of the conversation..

PS: For those who still have objective eyes and watch football -and are not delluded by personal emotions, likes or dislikes - its pretty obvious that Silva is not a pacy defender. Silva is a defender that reads the game well, makes clearences based on his reading and has all the abilities with the ball and in the air mentioned.. This ABC football.
Maybe he has a good pace for his height compared to others with the same height, but saying he is pacy or agile is quite laughable..

Thiago Silva isn't fast? LOL Dude he's one of the fastest CB's out there, he's actually KNOWN for being fast in the first place.

Ghost

PS: For those who still have objective eyes and watch football -and are not delluded by personal emotions, likes or dislikes - its pretty obvious that Silva is not a pacy defender. Silva is a defender that reads the game well, makes clearences based on his reading and has all the abilities with the ball and in the air mentioned.. This ABC football.
Maybe he has a good pace for his height compared to others with the same height, but saying he is pacy or agile is quite laughable..
:lol:

You're a funny guy, I admit.

Thiago Silva is, whether you like it or not, the fastest CB in the world.

Don't you find it strange that everyone here - including a Milan supporter that has watched TS for years - disagreed with you?

Philru190

Guys you just dont get that we do not need just a good defender, but a defender with specific characteristics that Silva lacks..
If we want a new version of Pique, or an upgraded one, yeah we should go for him, he is anything closer (or better) to Pique we can get..

But, we dont want a new Pique (for now), but a new Puyol.. If you grasp that, then we can continue the serious part of the conversation..

Pace and agility are his defining features along with his anticipation and reading of the game. As everyone has already said he's the last defender you'd expect to get done in for pace and I've yet to see it. Since it seems as though you've never seen him play I went through the trouble of embedding a video of one of his games.

Philru190

Not necessarily. The reason why Thiago Silva is regarded as the best in the world is a combination of a lot of factors, not just because he's pacy and athletic. He's actually also very technical, a sure tackler and a sure passer. He just happens to ALSO be very pacy and have excellent closing speed both as the last man and as someone to cover the mistakes of the back four. The combination of factors make him the best CB in the game right now. As his speed begins to decline (and there's no sure way to tell when that will happen), he can still rely on his smart positioning, presence, and technical skill to be an extremely good CB.

His age is an issue that would make a large transfer sum unpalatable, but to say that Ramos is "better in every way" smacks of a very biased opinion. If Ramos was better in every way, there would not be so many people, Tito included, that believe Thiago Silva is the best defender in the world. Not to mention that this isn't FIFA 13. You can't just bid on one of your chief rival's most recognizable players and expect to grab him.
Excellent assessment of Silva as defender, he's certainly one of the most complete with no real glaring weakness.

Barcilliant

Ramos would rather go to Stoke City or Hull then Barca. I think he's the loyal type. No way Madrid would sell. Even 50 million wouldn't make them sell. Whats Varane's buyout clause?

Thiago Silva is not going to be sold. PSG don't want to sell and don't need the money. Silva is not pushing for a move either. The only way Silva comes to Barca is if he strikes and insists on a transfer. However even that wont work imo. PSG would just bench him and refuse to sell.

We should be looking at closing the deal for another defender. Luiz, Koscieny-maybe even Chico Florres. I prefer Luiz and Mourinho has NOT issued a "hands off" Luiz statement-so there is still hope. Koscieny would be great too. Agger and Rami are poor second choices but I wouldn't be surprised if we sign one of them in the end.

Birdy

Pace and agility are his defining features along with his anticipation and reading of the game. As everyone has already said he's the last defender you'd expect to get done in for pace and I've yet to see it. Since it seems as though you've never seen him play I went through the trouble of embedding a video of one of his games.

Saying he is faster than many CB's out there (which are slow), doesnt mean he is as fast as we need.. I have watched him many many times.. You seem just delluded bcz you like him..

The video you posted proves my argument and not yours: Most of his clearances and interception are made based on his clever reading and very good sense of how the opponent will try to dribble.. If you are referring to his header after a run in the box, that doesnt say much: Pique also does the same (2-6 2009 goal after eto'o's cross and many other times)..
When we say that a defender has in its basic skills pace, we mean that he can cover huge tons of space with his head facing his goal, that are left when the team is caught high and the opponent breaks on the counter. And this is exactly the case with Barcelona -especially in the largest pitch like Camp Nou-, and not something else.. This the basic thing we should be looking at.. (There are set pieces also. Ok, he will be very effective there. But not number 1 priority). We need something exceptional .. And if you consider that we have Mascherano already, who is pacy, we need an upgrade of Mascherano. Someone with the same pace (or more) but with better defending abilities..

I never said Silva is not a great defender. I would welcome him, but not to play alongside Pique in any case..
We need a young Puyol. Carvalho of 2004, Kolo Toure of 2003 are such cases.. This is the type of defender we need..
I agree with some previous posts saying that the best fit out there is Ramos.. He surelly is, but i dont want him in my team..

Shegzy

So you think Thiago wouldn't have helped us in any way in a situation like this? His pace alone would've been enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32G9nbuXbc

Not to mention the 10 odd times where Ronaldo/Di Maria has completely owned Pique on the counter, obviously. I just don't want to waste my time trying to find them all.

younes kaboul,angelo ogbonna are also fast and ogbonna is 25 yrs and will cost 20m or less and how many league game did thiago silva play for psg last year(all u want is an injury prone 28yrs old for a large sum of money) and i don't know why we fan forget football is a business and a team should for the cheapest and most long term if two player will bring similar things

Xavi_Hernandez

Maybe in Fifa 13 they are fast, because I've never heard of Ogbonna until I played Fifa. But pace isn't everything in football. David Luiz is very fast, but sometimes lacks the defensive awareness and intelligence, even though he certainly improved last season. Thiago Silva has it all though, not only is he fast, but also very intelligent in defending. He knows what he has to do and you can see it when you watch him play. Also remember that Puyol was brilliant in 2008-2011 and in 2008 he was already 30. So Thiago Silva would have at least three good seasons, maybe even more, and if we win the Champions League in that time, then he is certainly worth 40 or more millions.

It would be good to buy Thiago Silva now and buy a young CB talent like Marquinhos next year. This way the young CB has time to settle in and to improve, because I don't want to see someone with so little experience like Bartra play important CL semi-finals and then lose so heavily.

Shegzy

Thiago Silva is one of the best defenders in the world, in my opinion he is the best. He is not only a great defender but just as important for Barca is that he is a leader which is something the team lacks without Puyol at the back. He would be a huge upgrade on a 35 year old Puyol and Masch, Pique would benefit from it as well just as David Luiz does playing alongside him for Brazil.

His age is not an issue and I don't understand why people keep mentioning it as he is only 28, which is about 6 months younger than Iniesta. If Barca put Iniesta up for sale this summer for 45million all the top teams in Europe would be fighting over him, his age wouldn't come into it. Iniesta is the best in his position and Thiago Silva is the best in his, both are good for another 4 or 5 years.

Marquinhos is a really good prospect but he may never reach the heights of Silva, I think it is the wrong decision to go for the younger player because he might be a better long term prospect. Barca need a top class CB now, someone who can slip right in alongside Pique and lead the defence. Marquinhos has had 1 good season and may fade like a lot of young players do, but if he has another great season at Roma, Barca can sign him next summer. Who knows, maybe next year there will be another young hotshot we should sign, this time last year I had never heard of Varane or Marquinhos.

Thiago Silva will not solve all defensive problems, but at least he is a natural CB in his prime which is a darn sight better than what we have at the moment.

well every transfer is a gamble,marquinhos might not reach silva's height or he might surpass silva's height,and your suggestion that we should leave him and if he has another great season we should sign,i am sure many teams are looking for cb and there is a likelihood of psg or madrid signing him this season and so we will not be able to sign him and does it make sense to u that we should sign Thiago silva this year for 40m+ and if marquinhos prove himself we should sign him next summer for 40+.talking about putting iniesta and thiago silva on the market. When milan sold him to psg, how many team were willing to buy him for the amount they ask for,how many team are interested in him this summer and don't compare a forward or mildfielder marketability to a defender's or goalkeeper's. How many league matches did Thiago silva play for psg;he is injury prone and the more he age the more injury he will have.i don't know why u think he is the messiah to save our defence and all of u that want him are talking as if we get him we will not concede a single goal ,in all the matches he played for psg how many matches did they not score a goal, even with psg as a team that is more defensive and stronger than fcbarcelona and playing against team that are half as good as those fcbarcelona will be playing against and with a decent goalkeeper like sirigu playing thiago silva did not mean they didn't concede.At this point what most fans that want thiago silva want his him and his name and not an improvement in our defense,he is like an obssesion to them. And i hate it when because a player is young u think he is not ready/fit to play for a big club in big matches,when did messi first collect his first ballond'or and if by that timne we had thought he was not experienced enough to play in big matches and loaned him he might have never become what he is today and i believe it high time trusting and playing youngsters more because they are the future. Marquinhos and zouma/angelo ogbonna and not or zouma/angelo ogbonna should be the signing we are looking to make and not thiago silva no matter how good he is

Home of Barca Fans