4. Dallas Cowboys, $208m
5. Bayern Munich, $200m
6. Arsenal, $195m
7. Milan, $175m
8. Barcelona, $170m
9. New York Mets, $159m
10. Boston Red Sox, $157m
-------------------------------------------

We are still ridiculously far away from the likes of Real Madrid and Man Utd.

I am surprised to see Bayern Munich at 5th though.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Bayern has the complete german speaking market under their control. And im afraid but germany and adjacent countries have supporters with pretty high income and thus buying power. Thats how they generate massive merchandising income.

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Because they have a sum total of zero European cups between them and not a lot of glamour. Bayern represent a large city and the wider region of Bavaria, as well as the obvious penetration of the German speaking market.

What exactly do the figures given represent?

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
How come clubs like Schalke and Bremen are not tapping the same market?
It has indead (like Cule Angles noted) to do with Bayerns immense and continous success in the last 30 yrs, and a management (Uli Hoeness in person) that used the popularity to build up a huge fanbase across whole germany, not limited to bavaria. You have to know that 50% of the german football fans do indeed support Bayern Munich.

Schalke on the other side has a real huge fanbase, but only very regionally, within maybe 150-200 km. And there is also Borussia Dortmund right around the corner. Bremen was never a club with a huge fanbase, they somehow lack the aura for that. Even though hey are really admired due to their playing style. But they dont make much money from that.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
so how does that Billion $ man utd debt come into the equation?

Barca due to their current form, will definitely climb that ladder fast tho. should reach the 200mill mark by 012. if we get cesc by then, the wings of messi & cesc shall take us to the promised land. perhaps buying a talented chinese, s.korean or japanese player will help.

Last edited:

Beast

The Observer
Brand strength have nothing in common with debts Sultan , it affects the expected revenue but your team spending ..etc makes no difference .

You couldn't climb the ladder while winning everything there to be won with the WPOY in your ranks and this means a below average marketing department

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Beast, I've highlighted before the failings of our marketing department and the general demise across various departments at Barça since the main talents walked out on Laporta in 2007, that's one of many arguments against Godall and the present board carrying on, they simply don't have the brains to do the job as well as it can be done. I'm not saying that Barça should be number 1 in that list but we should most certainly have greater brand strength than Arsenal (ARSENAL!!!) and the fact we're still lagging behind reflects badly on the current administration's attempts to successfully exploit out brand potential

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
how much money does man utd/madrid make out of asia?
i would guess at least in the 20% range. right?

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I would also say that Barcas still has a lot of unused merchandising potential, with regards to their current success and esp. image, and with the undisputed best worldwide player in their squad. But they had their North America exploration this summer, which is sth at least ...

F

FCB_Titi_LB

seems like some people are neglecting the barca filosophy

F

FCB_Titi_LB

Who cares about more income. It's not like Barca is having trouble with money.
WHat are you gonna do with more money? buying more superstars like Madrid does?
Enjoy our own style of play mainly exposed by our own youth products.
The only thing i agree on is to foreign exposure to let more people enjoy our football team.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans