Alessandro Del Piero

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Because they were bottlers (as a unit).

Plus Milan in the CL always held the upper hand because of their CL mentality and such forth. Betting on Milan in 2003 CL final was the safest bet I ever placed.

If Milan had the fortitude to turn up every week and not once every couple of weeks like in the CL then Juventus wouldn't have won so many Serie A titles either.

Milan imo had the Nesta and Maldini in defence, the best midfield in europe at that time (Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Kaka plus the likes of Rui Costa etc) and they had Inzaghi and Shevchenko up front.

Thus as seen from their CL seasons from 02/03 - 06/07 they were a much more complete team than Juventus but because their priority was always CL over Serie A at that time those players played to their maxim more in the CL than in Serie A.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Maybe they were mate, getting so close yet not bagging it indicates they were

I said as a unit, because as individuals they succeeded massively. Zidane was a major success for Real and for France. Nedved had relative success for the Czech's and won the title with Lazio. Del Piero won the CL in 1996 and played a crucial role in Italy's world cup success. Thuram was a major success.

It was the collective bottling and choking of Juventus that caused them to win only 1 CL during they best ever era.

abual3bed1

be a sad day when Del Piero hangs up his boots.

it's between Giggs and Zanetti now! who'll be the last man standing?

I can see Zanetti wins it .. Giggs said that he wants to extend his contract till 2013 to stop at that point .. Zanetti has a 2014 contract with Inter i guess ..

Sergio

Sergison
be a sad day when Del Piero hangs up his boots.

it's between Giggs and Zanetti now! who'll be the last man standing?
For me the same, Del Piero is one of my favorite players ever, even as an icon of our fiercest rivals through most of my football life, always respected him and loved watching him, even for me it feels like when Maldini called it a day.

Trequartista

The good
actually its very hard to dislike Del Piero,the guy oozes class,would be hard to see him retiring but I would rather see him retiring than going to MLS

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
He may want 1 season in another league, who knows. Del Piero has never been one of my favourite players but you have to respect the guy for sticking with Juve through the bad times.

ZeeMessi

I used to dislike him years ago because he was bloody good for a team that I didn't like. Now I have nothing but respect for the man.

Home of Barca Fans