Power Ranking 2008/2009

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Weeks 25-33

1. Real Madrid 25-3-5; 7CW
Comment: A lot of you might argue why I put Madrid on the first spot. But, with their amazing run they have made the championship unforgettable. Since the last El Clasico they haven’t lost and we will see how they will do in the remainder of the season.

2. FC Barcelona 26-4-3; 1D
Comment: Barca is going through a very difficult stage of the season. The schedule is swarming with great competitors and Barca will have to show a lot of positive mentality and motivation to overcome all the hardships and I believe they can do so.

3. Valencia CF 16-8-9; 1D
Comment: Valencia has closed the gap behind Sevilla and with the brave performance against Barcelona, their morale has grown and they can calmly wait for the next matches.

4. Sevilla CF 17-6-10; 4CL
Comment: Many expected Sevilla to easily qualify for the Champions League, but the last drop in their form has given us something to look forward to. Namely, the duel between Valencia and Sevilla will be very intersting. Both teams will have to demonstrate why they are considered as one of the strongest teams in the first league. Sevilla couldn’t be an equal opposition in some of very strenuous games and that cost them a lot of points which migh prove as very valuable at the end of the season.

5. Malaga 14-9-10; 1D
Comment: Malaga, Malaga, Malaga is a team that has won a lot of sympathies this season around the world. With their supreme football they are positioned in the higher part of the table. I think they have a lot of assets to build the last pressure and assure one of the European spots which would be a great award for their hard work.

6. Atletico Madrid 15-7-11; 1D
Comment: After beating Barca and taking a point from Madrid nothing has gone their way. When would think about their consistency, they would immediately drop in their form. With the quality they have, I would consider them as one of the biggest disappointments in this season.

7. Deportivo La Coruna 14-8-11; 1D
Comment: Depor is still fighting for one of the European spots. It would be very nice to see this vintage team back in Europe. However, schedule won’t spare them because they have a very hectic series of matches in front of them so they will need to perform at their best.

8. Villareal 15-10-8; 2CW
Comment: Villareal was for a very long time alive in the European front. This has apparently taken some stamina and strength from them and now they are slowly losing the pace with the stronger teams. It is important for them to last in this few weeks that follow.

9. Valladolid 12-5-16; 1D
Comment: I don’t know what to say about Valladolid. Now they play brilliantly and then average, than badly, than all of a sudden another turn in their form. This pretty much sums up their season so far.

10. Athletic Bilbao 11-7-15; 2CW
Comment: The Bilbao team has played solidly throughout the whole stage of the season and is well placed on the table. Maybe there were matches which could go either way, or could go the other way, but other than that they beat those that were expected to surrender before Bilbao.

11. Mallorca 11-9-13; 2CW
Comment: Similarly to Espnayol they managed a series of victories which proved very valuable and all of a sudden they are situated in the middle of the table. However, the most difficult games are yet to come for them so they will need a lot of rest and luck in order to hold this position. And I think that they have the quality to do so.

12. Espanyol 8-11-14; 3CW
Comment: So, a few weeks ago they went into panic mode. Now all of a sudden they seem save on the shore. With some brilliant performances in the last games they are safely above the relegation zone.

13. Almeria 11-7-15; 1W
Comment: Yet another team that is going through the similar phase as Recre. Offensive football can have its negative sides. With one of the strongest teams in the first league they seem far below their quality.

14. Osasuna 8-12-13; 1D
Comment: I predicted their come back and they did it in a triumphant manner. They won some great matches in very hostile terrains. Now they are sitting pretty safely above the relegation zone. However, there is still a chance for their relegation, but I think this team is simply too experienced to fail in their attempt.

15. Racing Santander 10-9-14; 1L
Comment: This team has shown some improvement in their form, but it lasted for a very short span of time. As some other teams that should be ranked higher they lack of consistency. Also their motivations is a thing that has been discussed a lot among their circles. Namely, they can win an ultra difficult match, then they can absolutely fail in completing the task that seems a lot easier to accomplish.

16. Getafe 8-10-15; 3CL
Comment: Getafe has been ranked as one of the strongest teams in the league before the season started. No one dared to rank them so low when the season will close to its end. The team that has made lives of the big teams miserable is facing a cruel destiny of relegation into the segunda. The marking point in their downfall has been when they lost the impossible against Real Madrid. We will see how they cope with the pressure that is piling on them. The team will have to step together and dismiss the lethargic approach that they have taken on many occasions in the past few weeks.

17. Real Betis 9-10-14; 2CL
Comment: The wind of hope has blown in the Andalusian capital. Fans seem more relaxed. After the hectic schedule they managed to pull some very important victories which brought them out of the relegation zone. However, the most recent performances resembled those from the first half of the season and again Betis is facing a lot of adversities these day.

18. Sporting Gijon 11-0-22; 6CL
Comment: If you take a closer look at their results you will see something extraordinary. So far in the season, not a game has finished with a draw, in which they played in. And exactly this points might prove crucial in their fight for survival. Similarly as Recre they lost a lot of games with the minimal of margins. Still, there is still a ray of hope for this team, but I think that it will be very difficult, for this team to bounce back, but you never know.

19. Recreativo de Huelva 7-9-17; 6CL
Comment: Recre is one of the few teams that play offensively against stronger teams. For example, against Barca they put up a brilliant and brave performance, but their lack of quality in the defensive line has made them pay a huge price on several occasions. They were very close in a lot of their losses, where they fall behind late in the game, when it's the most difficult to bounce back. I must say, I didn't expect them to see so low on the table before the season starts. It would be a great disappointment to see them in the segunda. They need to get their act together and try their best to assure their stay in the top flight.

20. Numancia 8-4-21; 3CL
Comment: My previous predictions that team will stumble heavily in its form. At the start of the season they shined in their brilliant performances, beating the leading team of the league. There were also some other results that need to be mentioned especially their draw against Atletico Madrid and win over Espanyol. But what this team clearly lacks is experience and consistence which are two very important qualities for the survival in the league. However, with the correct approach they will have a chance to try their luck in the first league if they keep up with the same pace in the Segunda where the quality drastically drops.

Thanx Mirko for updating the popular thread. Sad days when we have Real Madrid and Espanyol as 2 hottest teams.. :sad1:

maz

I walk the line
I'll unstick this topic. Thanks for the work you put in MLK, it was good reading the updates!

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo
Yes it was great, but it must have taken him forever to update it as it was a long read. Appreciate the effort you put in Mirko

M.L. King

The Preacher
I gave some thought of whether it is feasible to continue with this thread if I can't update it constantly. So I decided maybe, I might give it another try, but update it every three weeks, cause it mitigates many things, one of them it's much easier to estimate one team's form and whether they deserve to progress or regress on the table. I'll wait for another round and then make a decision.

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo
There wasn't many members to appreciate this thread back in a day, nowadays an update would be of great talking points and it'll be good to try it at least once, your call Mirko.

Home of Barca Fans