Power Ranking 2008/2009

M.L. King

The Preacher
Weeks 20-25

A century has passed since I last updated "Power Rankings". A lot of memorable things have happened, like the loss of form by Barcelona which allowed Real Madrid to the Catalans and create a lot of suspense for them and normal spectators of La Liga. I would also like to mention the rise of smaller teams like Mallorca and Osasuna. These two teams are on a good way to find their way out of the bottom of the table, after going through one of the worst cycle of crises in their history. Especially Mallorca who been clinching victory after victory lately. I can assure you that we will enjoy some very thrilling moments in the weeks to come. Grab your seat, coke and popcorn cause we're in for some wild ride baby.

1 Real Madrid 18-2-5; 10 CW
Comment: Los Merengues are on a good way too clinch yet another title. They are on incredible run, winning 10 games in a row, cutting the margin after Barca from 12 to 4 in just a few games. The squad of Junade Ramos is not playing brilliantly though. There is still a lot of room for improvement, especially regarding midfield where they have been severely outplayed in certain match-ups. Especially their new acquisition Lassana Diarra has proved to be not a very wise move. Namely, his primary objective is to dismantle the opponents with horrendous and impetuous moves. What Real needs is the DM who will destruct the opponent and at the same time be able to organize the team. Until Madrid brings such a player, they can forget about being consistent and successful, especially when talking about Europe. It will be interesting to observe their performance and results in the weeks to come, cause they have some tough matches coming up.

2 Sevilla CF 14-5-6; 3CW
Commen: Sevilla has overtaken Barca in terms of form and mojo. I put them ahead of Barca and that might raise a few eyebrows. They may be out of chances to win La Liga, but I still count them as more than average contenders. They put on some brave performances in past few weeks, running away from Villareal. That said, I would like to amplify that they are on the verge of clinching the Champions Leage (qualifiers) spot. It was their top-most objective before the season. With some luck and zeal Sevilla can do this and maybe even something more.

3 FC Barcelona 19-3-3; 2CL
Comment: Barca losing the edge. Can they cope with the pressure. Pep under the cosh. Barcelona struggling. These are just a few titles from the newspapers in recent weeks. What is going on with Barca is the question spreading through the Europe with supersonic speed. But one needs not to be a mastermind to work this question out. In every season goes through good and bad cycles. Obviously Barca hit the invisible wall. The chemistry has been lost all of a sudden and the team is no longer playing as a team. Pep needs to restore the motivation and lift the team's determination to gather their strengths to clinch the title.

4 Atletico Madrid 11-6-8; 1W
Comment: Sergio Aguero is on the way to his best form, or is he? We'll get the answer this weekend, when Atleti play against Real Madrid. A lot of experts think it will be the same story as with Espanyol and Betis. Snatching points from the Catalans, and later on surrender to Real without any resilience. It will be a great test of maturity for this team. Can they put on two performances in a same fashion?

5 Villareal 11-9-5; 1D
Comment: The yellow submarine is cruising back; they have a tiny advantage over Atleti. However, Pellegrini cannot be fully satisfied with how the team performed. Results have been quite acceptable, but they have to raise their level if they want to compete for this fourth spot.

6 Deportivo La Coruna: 11-6-8; 1W
Comment: Not much to say about Depor. They maintain their march towards UEFA cup, or even Champions League. You never know. But all I can say is, it would be good to have this team back in the strongest European competition. The quality they posses should enable and also increase their chances to obtain this objective.

7 Valencia CF 11-6-8; 1L
Comment: Valencia must feel frustrated these days; nothing goes their way. Namely, they are on a good way to have another catastrophic season in terms of results and final position on the table. Losing games at home has never been their proper label, but has somehow stuck to them this season. It was only confirmed after they lost three points against Valladolid. Something has to be done and rapidly if this team wants to restore its reputation and motivation of players to give their best in the last weeks of La Liga.

8 Malaga 11-6-8; 1L
Comment:Another big surprise of the season is Malaga. Consistency is an expression which springs up to my mind when I think of this team. Malaga has played very well all season long. There were however some indications that they might lose the momentum. But they stood together as a team and brushed aside all this slander. I count them as serious contenders for one of the spots in any European competition.

9 Valladolid 10-3-12; 1W
Comment: Many thought Valladolid cannot keep up the tempo. They were actually right. After being the major upset of the league, they severely dropped in their form after losing Asenjo through injury. However, when their first-class goalkeeper came back, everything changed all of a sudden. Good results came back and now they sit safely in the upper part of the table.

10 Athletic Bilbao 8-7-10; 1L
Comment: Atletic has just clinched their spot in Copa del Rey. But concerning La Liga, they had some problems in the past few weeks losing some games which could easily have gone the other way. It'll be interesting to see if their success in the Cup will spur them to better performances.

11 Almeria 8-7-10; 1W
Comment: Ambivalent feelings flash through my mind when ruminate on this team. Another team which cultivates an attractive side of football. But, again for playing such a style you should invigorate your defence. If an army wants to be successful they have to think first and foremost how they will reduce the amount of causalities. In terms of football, how not to concede to many goals. When they figure that out, they can build on their aspirations. Until then they can forget all about a decent outcome. It's a real pity when you see such teams struggling in the middle of the table.

12 Racing Santander 7-9-9; 1D
Comment: Bringing in new players gave them a hope for better results. Well, from the start they did get some well-deserved wins, but later on they became too restless and inconsistent. Thus, they started to lose the edge with some teams and are now all of a sudden fighting for their survival.

13 Recreativo de Huelva 7-8-10; 1D
Comment: Being too brave can have a different effect from the one you expected. Recreative surely plays some very nice and attractive football. But they are not a team of this quality and range that can open up and try to crush their opponent with pressing them hard through all the match. Cause, their defensive line is pretty fragile to be honest, they concede a lot of goals from counter attacks. Maybe, some new tactics should be incorporated in their playing style and then I'm pretty sure the results will start coming. Until then they will be an easy meat for any team. C'mon Recre.

14 Mallorca 7-6-12; 1D
Comment: Better and more fruitful times are on the horizon for this team. After winning some games in a row they draw in their last game of La Liga. They have breached the wall of crises and had some very good moments in their come back. They were just knocked out from Cope del Rey, so it will boil down to La Liga.

15 Osasuna 5-10-10; 1D
Comment: Being the underdog in the first half of the season didn't suit them at all. Slowly they build on their confidence and quality. For now they are still in the danger zone, but I'm convinced that better times for this team will continue.

16 Sporting Gijon 9-0-16; 4CL
Comment: La Liga is a cruel competition. And who but Sproting Gijon could know this better. They are on a very cold streak and you could see this team slipping in a vicious circle of losing. Personally, I'm not too optimistic about their chances. Staying in the league would be a major surprise, cause they will have some tough matches and the whole team will be put to a test. Can they hold the pressure? Can the team as once overcome all the struggles? The range of their team enables them to protract their dreams to the last day of La Liga.

17 Getafe 6-10-9; 1L
Comment: The team from the suburbs of Madrid is on a way to let out yet another decent season with some mediocre displays in last few fixtures. Before the season they made a good move and brought some very good players, especially form the South America, but haven't taken any advantage of it.

18 Real Betis 7-6-12; 1D
Comment: Pretty much the same story as with Espanyol. They exhausted all their strengths by winning a point against Barca. One week later they were literally raped by the Madrid. It would be a shocker to see them being relegated along with Espanyol.

19 Espanyol 5-9-12; 1L
Comment: Beating Barca gave them some hope, hope? Pochetino already went all hysterical how they will continue winning. Well, the next game, did they win? No, they lost. I cannot blame for their performance which was quite brave in certain aspects. But other than that nothing improved. They struggle in defence as they cannot maintain the same level throughout the whole game. They probably live in false hope that the schedule will spare them. It won't. It's as simple as that. Games will become tougher and tougher and it will get very rough. Let's see the squad of two-faced pricks how they cope with this pressure lying ahead of them.

20 Numancia 6-2-17; 9CL
Comment: The team number one, we can predict will be knocked out to La Segunda. After starting their La Liga campaign with a brilliant and memorable win over the Blaugrana and a very solid run in next few weeks, they hit the bottom with woeful performances in last past games. I cannot see them digging out of this crisis.

Last edited:

Evil

Shabazz
Thanx Mirko, that was a good read. I didn´t agree with this part though "Especially their new acquisition Lassana Diarra has proved to be not a very wise move."

I thought Lass has been really solid for Real so far, definitely a successful aquisition ..

maz

I walk the line
Excellent work MLK. I havent kept up with particularly the lower half of la liga so its great to read that. Every fortnight is more than we deserve! We're not worthy!

(that doesnt mean dont post every fortnight lol)

S

Snyde

Wondering if you're still gonna update this, was always a good read and I looked forward to it everytime!

M.L. King

The Preacher
Weeks 25-33

1. Real Madrid 25-3-5; 7CW
Comment: A lot of you might argue why I put Madrid on the first spot. But, with their amazing run they have made the championship unforgettable. Since the last El Clasico they haven’t lost and we will see how they will do in the remainder of the season.

2. FC Barcelona 26-4-3; 1D
Comment: Barca is going through a very difficult stage of the season. The schedule is swarming with great competitors and Barca will have to show a lot of positive mentality and motivation to overcome all the hardships and I believe they can do so.

3. Valencia CF 16-8-9; 1D
Comment: Valencia has closed the gap behind Sevilla and with the brave performance against Barcelona, their morale has grown and they can calmly wait for the next matches.

4. Sevilla CF 17-6-10; 4CL
Comment: Many expected Sevilla to easily qualify for the Champions League, but the last drop in their form has given us something to look forward to. Namely, the duel between Valencia and Sevilla will be very intersting. Both teams will have to demonstrate why they are considered as one of the strongest teams in the first league. Sevilla couldn’t be an equal opposition in some of very strenuous games and that cost them a lot of points which migh prove as very valuable at the end of the season.

5. Malaga 14-9-10; 1D
Comment: Malaga, Malaga, Malaga is a team that has won a lot of sympathies this season around the world. With their supreme football they are positioned in the higher part of the table. I think they have a lot of assets to build the last pressure and assure one of the European spots which would be a great award for their hard work.

6. Atletico Madrid 15-7-11; 1D
Comment: After beating Barca and taking a point from Madrid nothing has gone their way. When would think about their consistency, they would immediately drop in their form. With the quality they have, I would consider them as one of the biggest disappointments in this season.

7. Deportivo La Coruna 14-8-11; 1D
Comment: Depor is still fighting for one of the European spots. It would be very nice to see this vintage team back in Europe. However, schedule won’t spare them because they have a very hectic series of matches in front of them so they will need to perform at their best.

8. Villareal 15-10-8; 2CW
Comment: Villareal was for a very long time alive in the European front. This has apparently taken some stamina and strength from them and now they are slowly losing the pace with the stronger teams. It is important for them to last in this few weeks that follow.

9. Valladolid 12-5-16; 1D
Comment: I don’t know what to say about Valladolid. Now they play brilliantly and then average, than badly, than all of a sudden another turn in their form. This pretty much sums up their season so far.

10. Athletic Bilbao 11-7-15; 2CW
Comment: The Bilbao team has played solidly throughout the whole stage of the season and is well placed on the table. Maybe there were matches which could go either way, or could go the other way, but other than that they beat those that were expected to surrender before Bilbao.

11. Mallorca 11-9-13; 2CW
Comment: Similarly to Espnayol they managed a series of victories which proved very valuable and all of a sudden they are situated in the middle of the table. However, the most difficult games are yet to come for them so they will need a lot of rest and luck in order to hold this position. And I think that they have the quality to do so.

12. Espanyol 8-11-14; 3CW
Comment: So, a few weeks ago they went into panic mode. Now all of a sudden they seem save on the shore. With some brilliant performances in the last games they are safely above the relegation zone.

13. Almeria 11-7-15; 1W
Comment: Yet another team that is going through the similar phase as Recre. Offensive football can have its negative sides. With one of the strongest teams in the first league they seem far below their quality.

14. Osasuna 8-12-13; 1D
Comment: I predicted their come back and they did it in a triumphant manner. They won some great matches in very hostile terrains. Now they are sitting pretty safely above the relegation zone. However, there is still a chance for their relegation, but I think this team is simply too experienced to fail in their attempt.

15. Racing Santander 10-9-14; 1L
Comment: This team has shown some improvement in their form, but it lasted for a very short span of time. As some other teams that should be ranked higher they lack of consistency. Also their motivations is a thing that has been discussed a lot among their circles. Namely, they can win an ultra difficult match, then they can absolutely fail in completing the task that seems a lot easier to accomplish.

16. Getafe 8-10-15; 3CL
Comment: Getafe has been ranked as one of the strongest teams in the league before the season started. No one dared to rank them so low when the season will close to its end. The team that has made lives of the big teams miserable is facing a cruel destiny of relegation into the segunda. The marking point in their downfall has been when they lost the impossible against Real Madrid. We will see how they cope with the pressure that is piling on them. The team will have to step together and dismiss the lethargic approach that they have taken on many occasions in the past few weeks.

17. Real Betis 9-10-14; 2CL
Comment: The wind of hope has blown in the Andalusian capital. Fans seem more relaxed. After the hectic schedule they managed to pull some very important victories which brought them out of the relegation zone. However, the most recent performances resembled those from the first half of the season and again Betis is facing a lot of adversities these day.

18. Sporting Gijon 11-0-22; 6CL
Comment: If you take a closer look at their results you will see something extraordinary. So far in the season, not a game has finished with a draw, in which they played in. And exactly this points might prove crucial in their fight for survival. Similarly as Recre they lost a lot of games with the minimal of margins. Still, there is still a ray of hope for this team, but I think that it will be very difficult, for this team to bounce back, but you never know.

19. Recreativo de Huelva 7-9-17; 6CL
Comment: Recre is one of the few teams that play offensively against stronger teams. For example, against Barca they put up a brilliant and brave performance, but their lack of quality in the defensive line has made them pay a huge price on several occasions. They were very close in a lot of their losses, where they fall behind late in the game, when it's the most difficult to bounce back. I must say, I didn't expect them to see so low on the table before the season starts. It would be a great disappointment to see them in the segunda. They need to get their act together and try their best to assure their stay in the top flight.

20. Numancia 8-4-21; 3CL
Comment: My previous predictions that team will stumble heavily in its form. At the start of the season they shined in their brilliant performances, beating the leading team of the league. There were also some other results that need to be mentioned especially their draw against Atletico Madrid and win over Espanyol. But what this team clearly lacks is experience and consistence which are two very important qualities for the survival in the league. However, with the correct approach they will have a chance to try their luck in the first league if they keep up with the same pace in the Segunda where the quality drastically drops.

Home of Barca Fans