Abelardo

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Not the player for your average hall of fame but still one of my favorite FC Barcelona players of all time.
I mean just look at him:

abelardo-1.jpg

Former Barca defender. Beloved by the fans and a menace in the air. Thats Abelardo in short. Some would point out at his blunder mistakes but it still didn`t ruin his rep in the eyes of Barca fans.
"El Pitu" was his nickname and you`ll never guess where it came from. Apparently, Abelardo was the big fan of the "Smurfs" cartoon (los Pitufos in Spanish). Many would say, a rather strange connection to that rugged face of his, but that would only be an uninformed statement as the former Barca player had his share of soft spots, particularly for his beloved club - FC Barcelona. One episode sticks above others in my memory.
In 2002, Van Gaal was poised to take over Barcelona for the 2nd time and announced that he doesn`t count on "El Pitu". In a tearful interview, Abelardo said that despite he was offered a new contract by FCB boss Gaspart, he wouldn`t sign it as he didn`t want to milk money from the club while knowing he won`t be able to help the squad.
In his 6 years at FC Barcelona, Abelardo won two Primera titles, two Copa del Rey`s and a Cup Winner`s cup, amounting 250 appearances for his club. He also won the gold Olympic medal with Spain in 1992 Olympics.

House of Flies

all your bases belong to us
Abelardo was and will always be up there in terms of defender for me. Look at him, he instills fear in his opponents with his grin. Priceless. That man is priceless. Van Gaal should have done something better with him.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Abelardo is the man. Maybe not the best defender in club history but a tough bastard who was here for more than a paycheck. Probably our best defender of the dark ages even with his occasionally fuckups.

mobster_1930

Van Gaal was egoistical fool, I will never forget that he is the only reason why Rivaldo left. Abelardo was average imho, but great guy and person.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Particularly in that era which wasn't so good for Blaugrana. Looking from this time, anyways.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
El Pitu returns to big stage! Abelardo is coaching his home team Sporting Gijón and they are returning to La Liga next season.

Luis Enrique is also a Gijón native and born in same year as Abelardo (1970). Loved them both at Barca in late 90s

Abelardo-celebra-un-gol-con-Luis-Enrique.jpg

Home of Barca Fans