Best World Cup Ever

The Best World Cup of all time ?

• Total voters

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
yeh, those vuvuzelas are prolly gonna hurt ... lets hope it doesnt waste our WC experience ... or maybe the TV stations are gonna put some kind of filter over the match sound ...

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
You'll turn into something out of Shaun of the Dead. Just kidding. Can we get back on topic now ?

Cal-FCB

Wurzeltron
from my lifetime that I was fully aware of... '98 was my favourite. it was't the most classic and the final still rankles with me to this day but france's run to the final was spectacular and it cemented thuram as one of my favourite players. ronaldo was amazing for the whole tournament too.

2002 was equal parts amazing and awful. brazil's run, with ronaldo's vengeance, rivaldo's awesome and ronaldinho's emergence, was magnificent stuff. but then you had south korea screwing spain and italy, which was horrendous.

going by all-time, '54 or '58 look like the best world cups by far. attacking, loads of goals, great players, awesome epic matches. I mean I didn't see either, so can't name them as my #1, but I reckon I would if I had.

Yeh agree with you on that Meta. I voted 98 as well. I have vague memories of 94 but as I was 6 they aren't exactly vivid. 2002 suffered for some of the big teams going out early, plus S Korea's filth. 06 wasn't bad, Argentina and Germany were great to watch, but 98 definitely for me. Owen and Bergkamp's goals, Ronaldo in spectacular form, a wonderful Croatia side as well.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
yeh, those vuvuzelas are prolly gonna hurt ... lets hope it doesnt waste our WC experience ... or maybe the TV stations are gonna put some kind of filter over the match sound ...

I have to say this attitude disgusts me.

that's their culture, who are you to complain?

did people complain at the koreans non-stop screaming and cheering in 2002? no. they loved it and constantly said how "amazing" the support was. I found it uncomfortably loud, tbh, and not in that intimidating sense, it was just annoying. but it was part of the world cup experience and I'm glad it was done that way with no interference.

similarly, the vuvuzela is part of south african football culture. I love it, tbh. it can be a bit intrusive at first but you get used to it if you don't act like a bitch and make a big deal out of it. and it really creates a sense of the atmosphere in the ground. it reminds you that this is africa, and this is how they do things.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
I have to say this attitude disgusts me.

that's their culture, who are you to complain?

did people complain at the koreans non-stop screaming and cheering in 2002? no. they loved it and constantly said how "amazing" the support was. I found it uncomfortably loud, tbh, and not in that intimidating sense, it was just annoying. but it was part of the world cup experience and I'm glad it was done that way with no interference.

similarly, the vuvuzela is part of south african football culture. I love it, tbh. it can be a bit intrusive at first but you get used to it if you don't act like a bitch and make a big deal out of it. and it really creates a sense of the atmosphere in the ground. it reminds you that this is africa, and this is how they do things.
I respect their culture, i dont ask anyone to forbid the vuvuzelas or anything ... or did you see me do so? But the thing is still that the sound IS highly annoying, much more than the crowd in 2002 (which i actually didnt really notice tbh).

Home of Barca Fans