Europa League win or Semi-final Champions League?

Semi-finalist Champions League or Winner Europa League?

• Total voters

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Hello :wave:

With reference to the discussion in the Real Madrid-thread:

If you could choose between being the losing team in the Semi-final of the Champion League (thus like Arsenal or Chelsea last year, there is no way you will win the Champions League that year) or winning the Europa League (thus like Shakhtar), which one would you pick?

(aside from all prize money etc of course, just trophy wise)

Last edited:

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Well, nobody likes to loose and specialy "near the final door"... so... win Europa League.

Beast

The Observer
Competing vs Rangers, my pub team , my neighborhood cricket club ...or vs Barca,Real,United,Chelsea..etc

CL please.. the biggest competition in the world ...

UEFA cup is like second division league.. yes you won the league but it's the second division league ffs ...

CL finalist (not even winners ) is more prestigious in the world of football and a demonstration of strength than beating Toulouse & Espanyol to win the tin cup

S

Super Pippo

What Gio said, it's second string, only worth anything if the CL is out of your league. e.g Inter take great pride in winning it, while Milan take great pride in never winning it.

desoe

Losing in a 1/2-final of CL is probably as painful as losing the final itself, but at least it means that you're there and you compete.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
What Gio said, it's second string, only worth anything if the CL is out of your league. e.g Inter take great pride in winning it, while Milan take great pride in never winning it.

the most deluded kind of arrogance.

you'd rather be a champagne loser than an ordinary winner.

pathetic.

S

Super Pippo

the most deluded kind of arrogance.

you'd rather be a champagne loser than an ordinary winner.

pathetic.
I wouldn't say it's arrogance, we played in the competition last year. I would have given winning the UEFA cup/Europa League to play in the CL group stage. Even to be in the CL is achievement, the 2nd tier shows you finished only in the top half of the table/runner up in the Coppa/kicked out the CL. Of course it's inferior, thats not arrogance, it's fact.

F

FCB_Titi_LB

Competing vs Rangers, my pub team , my neighborhood cricket club ...or vs Barca,Real,United,Chelsea..etc

CL please.. the biggest competition in the world ...

UEFA cup is like second division league.. yes you won the league but it's the second division league ffs ...

CL finalist (not even winners ) is more prestigious in the world of football and a demonstration of strength than beating Toulouse & Espanyol to win the tin cup

All correct but some teams dont have the luck to play in CL because of a previous bad year. Look at Milan.
Look also at the fact that the european supercup is often won by the UEFA cup winner.
Sjaktar Donetsk would have trashed last years real madrid.

G.J

V.H. 4 life
At the end of the day a trophyless season would always look bad even if you reached the CL semi final and came second in the league. So yea, winning Europa all the way.

Beast

The Observer
All correct but some teams dont have the luck to play in CL because of a previous bad year. Look at Milan.
Look also at the fact that the european supercup is often won by the UEFA cup winner.
Sjaktar Donetsk would have trashed last years real madrid.

And plenty of UEFA cup winners win the European super cup cause it's a moral achievement for them they want it more ,they fight for it more than the big guns not only Donestsk but Seville..etc while the European Champions are just... Champions of Europe

Hamzah

High Definition Member
i voted for champions league its just the better tournament. and fianancially its better to lose in the semi's so you'll have a bit extra to try and go all the way next time

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
losing in the cl semi means that you were competing in the highest club event, which is what you should strive for

F

FCB_Titi_LB

And plenty of UEFA cup winners win the European super cup cause it's a moral achievement for them they want it more ,they fight for it more than the big guns not only Donestsk but Seville..etc while the European Champions are just... Champions of Europe
Yeah thats probably why alcor(c)on won gainst Madrid :wave:

Home of Barca Fans